Teams back F1 revolution

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, May 4, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Blimey, I didn't expect for all the teams to agree to Mosleys proposed changes at all.

So then, some of the changes include cutting off 2 cylinders taking the engines from a 3 litre V10 to a 2.4 V8, single tyre manufacturer, and removal of semi-automatic transmissions.

And the real surprise is that alot of the changes shall be in place for the 2006 season!

Blimey! :eek: :eek: :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3683827.stm

More to follow....

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

cool, this means Schumi's driving skills alone will destroy every other driver...

nice

vSpacken

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i was suprised to read that thay all agreed, but if all the changes are passed it would finally answer the "is schumacher any good or is it his car" question.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

that's already been answered in '97, '98' '99' and '00 when he didn't have the best equipment (Williams '97, McLaren '98 and '99, and Ferrari and McLaren were as close as equal as you could get in 2000) and took the championships down to the wire in inferior cars. ('99 excepted, because he broke his leg, but look what happened when he came back on stream for those last races and 2000. :D ) He even won it in '94 in the inferior Benetton.

my biggest question mark is how are the younger drivers going to cope with a lack of driver aids?? IMHO, half the grid don't deserve to be actually racing F1 cars. :eek:

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    somehow i dont think this will shut up people who hate schumi even if he wins with the new rules...

but at least their arguments will have to be damn good now.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

this will change the start i guess .. but i doubt it is really a problem for a driverb ecause everybody starts with manual transmissions etc. in the lower formulas...

but i guess this really brings back more tension at starts and mroe technical failures etc. with manual shifting

but i really doubt it will slow down the speed ...i mean they have 3.0 liter engines with 9000 HP and 19.000 RPM perhaps this will go down to 770 and 15.000 rpm but the bigger back tires will make that up etc.for 1-2 years they will be slower and then the first talking about reglementign them down to 6cyl. will start ;)

7. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I don't need no argument to hate the arrogant b*stard. Anywho, bring on the new rules - as long as it puts the fun back into F1.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I'm a Nascar fan myself, Go Martin!, but i do think that: a. Schumi is a graet driver/racer no matter what car he drives; b. these rule changes would create a more competitive race.

I mean look at what Nascar did at the end of last years Winston Cup, they made a new rule. This new rule stated that all cars had to have the same body mold, no matter what manufacturer; this added to the already competitive restrictor plate tracks, provides even more competition.

Also, the year before last i went to the MIS Indy race. I was totally shocked by how fast and loud those cars are. Another thing, if those F1 car races are like the indy races (Kind of boring, meaning not enough compotition) then whats the fun in paying $60 to go and watch them (besides an all day/weekend drunk fest)?

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It also removes a distinct Shumacher advantage: his absolute mastery of the left-foot braking technique. If he's forced to clutch instead, it slows him considerably.

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

It'll affect every other driver as well, all F1 drivers are left foot brakers (I think even D.C. has switched) Ruben's was the last of the frontline drivers to switch from right to left foot once he realised how much time he was losing in corners to his teamate.

Schumachers major advantage is according to Ross Brawn his ability to balance the car on throttles and brakes through fast corners (Senna esque) and that's where he makes up his time, apparently he's no faster through the slow corners than other drivers.

After reading more into the rule changes though, it looks definite that F1 isn't switching back to a 'H' manual transmission, the teams look to have veto'd that, although that's not to say that the clutch won't become manual, so I'm thinking we'll still be seeing paddle-shifts, but with a manual clutch which is a good compromise in my opinion.

The rules that I don't agree with include reducing the engine's from V10's to V8's, although I'm not convinced they'll do this, I'm thinking they'll just reduce the V10's power and thus increasing reliability for the engines, this will also be significantly cheaper than designing and building a new V8 and making them able to stretch over multiple race weekends without failure. And of course V8's don't sound anywhere near as lush as a V10, which is only trumped sonically by the legendary V12. :D

Outlawing tyre changes in a race.... well they'd better makesure that the compound can last the distance then, otherwise we'll see even less racing, and even more drivers easing around the track 'conserving' their rubber instead of going balls out.... I think out of all the proposed rules, this is the most pointless one. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, all seems dandy... slicks are likely to be making a comeback, with big fat rear tyres and significantly narrower front tyres, standard brakes, and the possibility of a standard ECU and trick diff.

Stuff like the aerodynamics though needs to be left in the hands of car designers, not having generic parts like CART or IRL. F1 has always been about designing, developing and building your own car, and that really needs to remain, otherwise F1 will be in serious danger of becoming a merely faster example of F3000 or any of the U.S. racing series, and that frankly... would be a bad thing.