Teamspeex with WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by selloutvixen, Jul 25, 2006.

1. selloutvixen macrumors member

selloutvixen

I need help desperately, and quickly.

I'm in a WoW raiding guild on Argent Dawn (US), and one of the requirements is that I use Teamspeak. I downloaded the unofficial Teamspeex Mac version, which works just fine with most TS servers. However, my guild's Teamspeak server uses a Windows only codec. (16.4 GSM I believe) When a friend in the guild tried to tell the server admin how to change it, I think he just confused her more. In short, they're not going to change the codec, so my Teamspeak doesn't work on our server. I can't hear the commands, therefore I can't raid. :(

We have an Onyxia raid on wednesday, and an AQ raid tonight. I can't attend either unless I get Teamspeak working. They let it slide last time that I didn't have Teamspeak working for an AQ raid, but it was really difficult and my poor guildies had to type everything out to me, and I think it annoyed them a lot. I'm running a new Intel iMac, so Boot Camp is always an option, I suppose, but I was looking more along the lines of a free/cheap Windows emulator just to run Teamspeak so I wouldn't have to reinstall WoW on another HD.

Suggestions? HELP!

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

hmm a friend of mine is running a windows that is something like 90% efficient. It only runs on intel mac and it can be run without a reboot (and i think side by side with os x) no idea if it's is free or not but I have a nagging suspicion it might be.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

There is of course Parallels. Not free of course but... probably the best Windows virtualization program out there right now for Intel Macs for your purposes.

It can't be that hard for them to switch codecs... the guild I'm in uses a Mac compatible codec at it works just fine. Try getting them to switch codecs during down time. Often times guild leaders are made to do those things while they are trying to get a raid going or whatever and they just don't have time for it then.

4. wcalderini macrumors member

Man. Having been in that situation before, and sponsoring my guilds TS server I am amazed that the person running your server cannot change the codec. It is a one button process.
    Seriously, if you have access to a copy of Windows XP, Boot camp is your most trouble free and reliable way to go. You may even see a good performance boost running it (Both WoW and TS) under XP as opposed to OSX, and you get the latest, greatest versions of TS as soon as they are released.
    The only problem I can think of, is there may be a need to purchase an external USB microphone, as I am not sure if the built in Mic is supported via boot camp. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny this.
    Either way, good luck, happy gaming, and I hopr this helps.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's a very easy and quick change on the server to use a Mac compatible codec and the codec works just as well as the GSM one. If they will not make the change for you and other guild members that use Macs, I would think about switching guilds.

I would direct the admin to the Teamspeex forums if they can't figure out what to do.

6. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

That's rotten. My guild uses TS; we apparently have a Mac-compatible codec because it all works fine.

7. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Seriously, it's amazing how many people can't figure out how to change the codec on Vent. Luckily, I don't play anymore.

8. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Bootcamp is the best solution. WoW runs better in Windows anyway.

Don't have a copy of Windows at hand? Obtain a pirate. Pirating from Microsoft doesn't really count if you think about it.

Of course I don't recommend or endorse this in anyway. I only post a solution.

(Who the hell cares as long as its not for commercial use and its not any other company apart from Microsoft)

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If they don't change the codec, you're not going to use the Mac TeamSpeex client, unfortunately.
    I struggled with the same issue for a bit to the point where I had to download TS server on a PC, install it, and tell the dude how to change it. 'tards.

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I don't really agree with that. Maybe something is wrong with my computer but WoW runs better under OS X then it does in XP.

However, back on topic. I have the same problems with Ventrilo and my guild master says the admin won't change the codec, or something along those lines. I wish they would come up with a better solution sometime, like actually getting OS X to use those codecs, but for now I just go without using Vent.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IIRC changing the codec was as simple as a drop down menu. That's just pathetic.

Think Darwine will run TeamSpeak?

12. colocolo macrumors 6502

Just play Horde on Frostmane. You'll find a nice raiding guild that uses Speex codec on vent ;)

13. selloutvixen thread starter macrumors member

selloutvixen

Just got my nelf druid to 60.. I can't even comprehend having to level another toon right now. :eek:

14. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Yeah it does seem pretty silly if your guild wont change codec, seeing as it is probably very simple.

15. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Plus it will gain you rep with Booty Bay.

16. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

ROFL.

By the way, my raiding alliance (Serdomr on Elune server) uses Ventrilo. It works great for all the Windows and Mac users. See if you can get your guild to switch.

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Vent can have the same issues. I tried to get on a vent server a few months back and couldn't because of the codec. Getting their current guild to switch codecs is a lot easier then getting them to switch programs/servers.