TeamViewer v's Remote Login

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Fritzables, May 21, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables

2. macrumors 68000

Silencio

I've been using Back To My Mac for some years now, generally works very reliably and seamlessly. Connections are carried over SSL-encrypted point-to-point IPSec. BTMM is one of Apple's most underrated products IMO.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Silencio,

Does Back To My MAC wake out of Sleep??

Pete

4. macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.

5. macrumors 6502

The unix "purists" probably already know the tricks of the trade, like using ssh's tunneling/port forwarding features to do what we need to do :D

6. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks John,
    Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete

7. macrumors 6502

Thats how I do it.

I need to sign up for dyndns so that I can use hostname instead of IP address. Although my IP address rarely changes, it can change if there's an ISP outage (rare).