Tech Group

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Nov 28, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hello. I wanted to know what everyone thinks about the club my friends and i just started in school. It is called the T.E.C.H. Group. (Technology Education Computer Help). Basically our goal is to help teachers and students with any technology trouble they are having. We will perform workshops, provide help, and anything else we feel we are capable of.

Basically, we need to make a logo. We are thinking of modifying the geek squad logo, becuase it is a well known icon and perfectly suits our needs. Will this be ok? I don't think it will be a problem since we are a non profit club in our school, and we are going to be helping the community and such.

To get teachers excited about the club, we want to give a thumb drive with our logo to every teacher in the school. (110). We don't need anything big, 256 should suffice. How much will each drive cost and where should i get it? If i went straight to the manufacturer, do you think they would donate? (or if they gave us a good price we would not need our logo, but it would be cool)

I figure each one we can get for less than 10 dollars, so we need to raise over 1000. (we have 300 now).

Any suggestions would be great.

2. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon it'd be safer and cooler to keep away from the Geek Squad logo. Do something individual that represents who you are, not a copy of someone else. As for the thumb drive, I'm not quite sure how that'll work. That's a lot of money for a company to stump up (donate) considering that objectively they probably won't get much of a benefit from it. Maybe invest that money into getting some posters put up around the school instead.

Otherwise, I think it's a cool idea. Good luck with it an I'll be interested to hear how you guys get along. :)

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My thoughts in no particular order.

1. I like the thumbdrive idea, but the school should be funding it - I would highly doubt you would get any manufacturer to donate.
    2. I would suggest your group work with the IT department or more likely, the IT person to identify the gaps and needs and go from there. The direction should be coming from someone who works for the district/school since once you are gone, the program can continue.
    3. Skip the advertising, whats the point? is your school that large?
    4. Work with district leadership, get a feel for how they want to integrate technology into the learning process. Be prepared with ideas and solutions to problems they may not be aware of.
    5. Get the PTA involved, they have money :)
    6. Good Luck, its nice to seem some proactive students trying to give back rather than wasting all their creativity on coming up with excuses about why homework didn't get done.

5. JulesNYC macrumors regular

That's a great idea! I wish I had that kind of initiative when I was in school. Good luck!

6. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well the advisor for the club is the technology advisor for the district. she puts on all the workshops and such. We do not expect a company to donate anything, i was lookign for a good cheap place to buy it. As i said, we have 300 dollars and we are going to be doing fundraising to get some more..

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

As I said, skip the USB keys and, instead, use the money for operating your group. You may have the need to get software, other hardware, or pay for copies of training material to support your efforts.