Tech heavyweights form new company to provide nationwide wireless internet access

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Dec 8, 2002.

1. macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    AT&T, Intel and IBM have announced that they are combining their technologies and capabilities to create a new company, Cometa Networks, that will provide high-speed wireless Internet access nationwide. The company will work with major national and regional retail chains, hotels, universities and real estate firms to deploy thousands of wireless "hot spots," which will utilize WiFi technology — also called 802.11, the technology Apple's AirPort is based on. Cometa Networks' wireless access is targeted to begin roll out during 2003 in the 50 largest U.S. cities. By 2004, the company hopes to have 20,000 wireless access points, placing the service within a five-minute walk of any city resident, or a five-minute drive of a suburban resident.

prettty cool news.....
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Very cool - the idea of getting connect in major cities via WiFi without a hassle sounds great. Cost might be an issue if the service is an add on to existing ISPs.

But I wonder what will be said 100 years from now when data might come to light that all the extra RF being blasted at us from space (satellites), WiFi, Cell Phone, TV, Radio etc. is causing us all sorts of problems.

3. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    Interesting...I wonder how much it would cost, or would it be free?

Side note: They could just build/buy a radio antennea and transmit...with a little mods of course ;)
  4. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    This sounds awsome! But when will it come to the UK? It'd be FAR easier to do this in the UK, it's a MUCH smaller country to have to cover. But I bet it'll still be years before anyone even thinks of doing it over here :(
  5. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If its like the system at MacWorld, great. From what I've heard it will be up to the individual establishment regarding a fee. Hopefully part of the service, a way to entice customers into their business.
  6. macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
  7. thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    This is completely fing rediculous, why dont they just say that any new technology or means of advancement for the human race might also be used in a negative manner and possibly by terrorists for the wrong reasons so we are going to make all new advancements, unless they are used soley by us, illegal.

I hope they don't go through or are not allowed to go through with this....:mad:
  8. macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2002
    here and there
    wow this is really cool, I would hope it would be free, but most likely it will become a business much like with cellphones now. shouldnt be too pricey though right?
  9. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2002
    Urban WiFi...

Yeah... but what about Clem and his little 'uns... is there gonna be access out in da Buyooooo???

10. macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    Speaking of wireless internet...

Anyone on the Denver, CO or San Diego, CA area using Ricochet? I'm wondering how fast it is. They say that it has speeds up to 400 kbps. I think it would be pretty cool to be sitting at the beach while surfing the web.