Tech Jobs?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ibookin', Dec 15, 2003.

1. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

So who out here actually has computer or technology related jobs?

I'm sitting here in Pasadena waiting to go to mine (computer support and PHP/MySQL development for an accounting/construction firm) and was just wondering who among you have been blessed with a computer job.

Long stories are welcome. :D

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm in music tech, I lecture in a UK Uni up to masters level, and I also design studios on the side. I get to design all the Uni's studios too, and am responsible for the wholesale adoption of Macs in audio, video and much of our media as well.

We're still converting to OSX at the moment, should be finished by New Year, and the "Wall of Macs" that I snapped earlier in the year is up and running, I'm still trying to get the lab networked, 20 G5's running Folding, that'd be cool.

:D

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm an Information Systems Support Technician. Basically, I do a little bit of everything.
    Phone support- yup, daily
    Kick your keyboard loose? Yep, fix that too.
    Need your server set up? Been there, done that.
    You want a video of what? Where and what time, I'll be there.
    Need a cable run where? Lemme grab my grubbies (jeans and old shirt ;) )
    Printer problems? If I can fix it, I will.

:cool:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've had pretty much the same job for the last 3 and a bit years going from a Graduate Trainee to a Senior Analyst Programmer at CitiGroup.

I write custom client/server software in a variety on languages. Backend are Unix based (Solaris) with Sybase databases. Front ends are a mix of PowerBuilder (I don't write these) and Java based web sites. On the back end we use a mixture of perl, shell scripts, java and C++

We also have to support all our apps both on a user level and overnight support. There's nothing like a call on your mobile at 3am with some muppet telling you that there is a failure only to log in and find out that it's a network timeout and a rerun fixes it!

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i sell macs, have been for the past 3 years.

iJon

6. sketchy macrumors regular

I write medicaid and call center software. I used to work for AT&T Broadband - writing call center and SPC software

7. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Tech Job

I design and develop weapons systems for the US Navy. That's really about all I can say.

Hickman

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Tech Job

is that something they wouldnt want you to talk about, or is just not saying exactly what you design and develop?

iJon

9. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Re: Re: Tech Job

Well there are quite a few projects that I do work on that are known to the public. Aegis, Ballistic Missile Defense, DD(X), Littoral Combat Ship, etc. Then there are others that "don't exist."

Hickman

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my first experience with computers to an extensive level, besides games, was in college and graduate school and my favorite machine was the mac classic and the LCII

in the mid 1990s i was a computer operator for the defense department and a few years later i was a dot.com vice president for a san jose outfit

shortly after that i worked at office depot as a computer salesperson after the dot.com bust

then i became an all around techie doing virus control, POS, computer rollout, and warranty work for dell, compaq, and apple inc

i taught windows networking for senior citizens as a volunteer and i also took classes in computer repair, networking, and programming at the local junior college

and after that i became a self employed computer tech and have been doing that ever since...sometimes i get to work on macs and i like that part of my job the best