Tech replaces diamonds as girl's best friend: study

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 2, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

poppe

This is a little weird... Diamon Necklace or a Plasma TV...

"Hey do you want an iPod or a Sewing Machine"

To me that just doesn't feel like a good comparisson... But still its always good news when women are becoming more equal; just saying it doesn't feel like this was the greatest wording for a question.

3. Guest

ppc_michael

I was hoping the title meant "Tech" as in the person, like a computer technician.

But no. It doesn't. And it probably never will. :( ;)

4. macrumors 68020

poppe

Haha man that was funny.... I laughed out loud, which rarely happens on here. Good one.

I dont know maybe one day.

"So you make an iPod... Whoa thats sexy"

But more importantly.

"yeah baby I can fix it if it brakes"

5. macrumors 68020

thedude110

Umm ... I find something about this study repulsive. Its subtext seems to reinforce stereotypes while it supposedly advocates against them.

In any case, I wish the woman wanted a digital projector and surround sound instead of an engagement ring. But I spose a digital projector isn't so easy to show off at work ...

Right.

She's not all that self-serving. And I'm generally happy.

If vaguely embittered by the heat.

6. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope...

I might buy a plasma TV but I wouldn't treat myself to a diamond necklace...

7. macrumors member

They mean that girls prefer tech luxery items over non-tech luxery items. But that seems not to be what they are saying at first glance.

When it comes to a plasma t.v. versus a regular t.v. or an iPod over a walkman or discman or a digital camera versus a film-camera, the choice for tech is already made, but now there is a better ratio between function and operatability. So the level of tech drops and as a result the threshold for people who just want the function. That goes for people of all ages and both genders. I don't think that the result of this study is all that exciting.

And who want a diamond necklace, anyway? Nice to sit on your couch watching Oprah or CSI with an expensive the necklace while looking at an outdated model tv. Off course would girls prefer a better t.v. Or a new cellular phone. Or a small digital camera. Or a fancier computer. This is all stuff that has a function.

As a man, I find the study sexist. Woman have lifes, you know. They need function over decoration.