Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Picked this up at Best Buy...mainly to compare to past experiences with the Fre. I will just highlight some of my initial impressions and experiences with the case so far.

1. Screen clarity seems much better to me than with the Fre. Much less "grainy."
  2. Materials - it definitely feels more solidly built. I haven't dropped it yet, but I don't get the impression a drop may cause the case to pop apart, as can happen with the Fre.
  3. TouchID seems to work much more reliably than with the Fre. I've never had to try multiple times to get it work.
  4. Dial for mute switch - Although it's ugly, the dial for the mute switch is much preferred over the "lever" on the Fre.
  5. Audio - phone calls through the earpiece are on par with the Fre, callers have not asked me to repeat myself. Speaker audio is MUCH better than with any Lifeproof case I have ever used.
  6. Waterproof seal - The gasket seems more secure than the seal on the Fre.
  7. Included lanyard - just a minor detail, but nice to have it there.
Dislikes:
  1. Power button - ZERO tactile feedback. At all. Volume buttons are marginally better, but still could use serious improvement. Most disappointing aspect of the case to me.
  2. "rainbow" effect when screen is off. Same as the Fre.
  3. Weight - Goes back to the materials, but it does add a lot of weight.
  4. Back plate - kinda ugly, which I can move past (I think the backplate of the Fre is hideous in any color). However, it is super slippery. I haven't dropped it to the ground yet, but I have dropped it and caught it while using the phone in on my couch.
  5. Scratches on Screen Protector after three days - just a couple and they are faint, but they are there. This happened to my Fre all the time too. Hazard of living in a desert I guess. Sand is everywhere!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 398
Last edited:

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
That looks cool!! Except for that little window in the lower portion. Is that there for a purpose? Or design only??

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
That looks cool!! Except for that little window in the lower portion. Is that there for a purpose? Or design only??
I have no idea what it is for, to be honest. No Lifeproof Fre cases have that clear window there. Unless it somehow enhances the speaker audio by having less of the black liner material there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.