techies smarter than suits

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 2, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i live in a military town with two bases...once there were three but fort ord went to washington state (ft lewis)

i notice the enlisted men and women i meet are more intelligent than the officers i meet most of the time...the enlisted go to the defense language institute and are chosen from the top 2 percent on test scores and the officers who go to naval postgraduate school do not have to meet such a tight requirement...so that may explain it

but in the techie world, where i have been for three years, regular grunt techies seem to be much more intelligent than the cio's they work for who often have no clue on techincal issues

is this the case where you work at if you are a techie?

it just seems like cio's should be at least techies with business backgrounds, not just a businesshead with no tech experience as seems to be the case much of the time in silicon valley, which is seen much more as a business than as a place for innovation like it once was when the "big" money was not such a factor

what do you think?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think that's how it always goes. It's always the geniuses I've encountered who aren't doing sh*t with themselves as opposed to the jackasses who are in high power positions. I hope I don't hit any nerves with anyone here, as I mean not to offend in any way nor make a complete generalization. :D

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am almost 40 and i have never met someone i would call a genius in a "high" position in business, civil service, self employed, or the military/police but i would say that clinton, from the accounts i have read and heard, is close

but i have never met clinton

but i have met tons of slacker geniuses though...he he

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

a lot of corporate bosses i have met are good politicians and know how not to rock the boat, and they know how to dress well and look confident, yet smarts is not high on their lists...but companies cannot survive without middle and upper management

many officers i have met in the military and cops i have seen on the street are basically joe dirt types with short haircuts...they are basically mullets in hiding...good workers though and never one to question authority..but we still need them

geniuses and people with iq's over 100, 120, 140, or whatever, have their place in society, too but thinking too much and too innovatively is not a trait of a leader in the military, police, or large corporation...it works best for college students and teachers/professors/researchers

5. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

So, this is what I think about what you are saying...

Leaders of companys need to be smart, but not THAT smart. What they do need are people skills. Lots of the genius techies probably freeze up in social situations. These ceos and presidents have to make deals, they have to understand what their client wants, and they have to know how to get what they want. So it may not just be technical knowledge, but being business savvy, getting what you want while pleasing others. I would rather have the ceo of my company know how to convince someone into a merger than know alot about unix or the capital of a country in south america. Know what I mean?

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This thread is sooooo true!
    Man, most of the management at my work don't know a thing, they totally rely on us for everything.
    Verry annoying since they're the ones making all the money while were doing all the work and keeping all the kit ticking over.
    But that's just how things are I guess, shame though...

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I have some friends who I label "just f*cking brilliant"...but when it comes to making good decisions for themselves...they just don't...

there's a degree of slacker in everyone I feel...whether it's physical or mental...but we all have the trait in us...

as for the IQ part...it's the ones whom I've encountered with higher ones who normally do not think outside of the box...but I have a really good friend who's in the higher rank scoring...who doesn't know how to keep his head out of the clouds... ;)

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Yes, as far as I've experienced this is all true. Believe me Jef, not even researchers are above dumbass management. My brother and his wife are researchers and they both get stuck with idiot bosses.

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

and i look at apple

woz was the genius, jobs was less intelligent but he was the wheeler dealer and in my book, they both played a vital role

it's like the lakers (here's a sports analogy)

kobe is the genius talent getting the ball down in the zone but shaq, with less talent but with the height, dunks or does the easier layups if he gets open...the lakers needed both to win their championship

and even thought kobe has the better talent, as shaq freely admits, shaq gets the higher point totals

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i was referring to cio...chief information officer...who usually falls after the chief financial officer who reports to the chief operating or chief executive officer or president or owner of an organization

in smaller companies where i live, all those people are the same person, usually named jed/jebidiah with their dog as the vice president:p

but i hear you..many of the best techies i know freeze up...too much info going thru those thought pipes:p

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

All this talk about IQs makes me want to find out where I stand. Anyone know of an online test (if there are any)?

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

just look up iq

...and if you score high, you will never be boss:p ;) :D

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I hope I score below 80, then I can be CEO of a company ;)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...well u can work a Mac...so u got something going for u... ;)

anyway...I wonder how long it'll be before everyone starts comparing notes again...he he he :D

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'll have to try to find a site another time. I found one and took the test and then it informed that to get the results I had to pay $20. The next one I took told me I had an IQ of 125, it also said it had a 20 point margin of error in either direction. Basically all I know is that I have an IQ between 100 and 150.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

there's a decent one on www.emode.com

17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Thanks eye, that was a good website. I guess I wont be a boss anytime soon ;) . But hey the other site was right, it WAS between 100 and 150 :p .

18. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Well, here's my take on the whole thing. I think the head honchos used to know how but eventually forget how be techies. I've experienced this because my boss showed me how to do everything at work but now all hell breaks loose when I'm not around. Kind of weird but I think the bigger you get, the more dependent you are on everyone else

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no problem...

my 2 scores from online testing were 126 & 143...so that averages to be about a 135?

20. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Hmm, I got a 128. I don't think I'll bother to take it again. Pretty soon, we'll have an IQ contest going on in this thread :rolleyes: .

21. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I spent a while in a CTO position for a firm of 175.

Previous to this I was a programming lead.

What I found was that suggestions I made to reduce spending (buying a copy of WebTrends, instead of paying SurfWatch $1700 a month; hiring two 100k/year IT superstars, ending our 300k/year outsourcing contract, etc.) were negated by relationships and loyalties. Everything I was thinking paid higher to company employees, yet lowered total costs.

Salesman X from firm Y was in a fraternity with manager A from dept B. The company was pouring 600k a year down the drain. The CFO was the only one who supported me. Sadly, the industry was publishing, and loyalties in publishing mean more than $. In the end, I went back to consulting, since being outsourced meant that people would listen to the opinions they were buying.

Business is a funny animal...

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

A bunch of techies with an inferiority complex... LMAO!

Just cause the suits don't do the tech stuff doesn't mean they are less smart. In fact, I'd venture a guess that it is far more likely that they could do what you do, than you could do what they do.:confused:

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's interesting also if you look back at people's college careers.

Frat boys are spending time networking and developing people skills that count more in the "real world" than good grades.

The nerd in his dorm room may graduate Summa Cum Laude, but he will almost never be a CEO or other highly social person.

Ballmer is one exception I can think of, he apparently graduated with honors from Business school at Harvard (I think).

Where am I going with this? I don't know.:D

Nerds, study less and party more! It will help you more in the long run...

emode.com says my IQ is 131...whatever that's good for!:p

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

ballmer got his math degree instead of being a founder of microsoft and he lost out on many billions...he is still very wealthy though...in essence, his degree and refusal to be a founder cost him some tens of billions...instead he has a piece of paper from harvard

fratenity people have networking skills which help in other non techie fields and there is much more money to be made in non techie fields...many fraternity kids never graduate from school so the mix of beer, ecstacy, meth, and dope is a risky proposition to a full load of classes

for my chosen field of IT, i would personally go with the nerds, but like i said, technology follows behind tourism, agriculture, manufacturing, construction, etc. etc. etc. in terms of profit so the networking sales type people (fraternity people) have the edge on more jobs, degree or no degree

25. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

emode said 135, and iqtest.com said 181. IQtest.com is way off. I took a real IQ test with a phyciatrist (at Johns Hopkins, long story) and i got around 140. Plus, I know I smart from my 800 on the Math section of the SAT in 8th grade. I also went to a magnet middle school and was accepted into the high school equivelent. I was on the only middle school team in the country (thats out of 100) in the highest level math competition for high school in the country (USA) and my team got 30th place. I was the captain of the team. I also have placed highly in about a bizilion other competitions, and I cant put up any more awards in my room because my walls are full, even though its 12 by 12. Did I mention the fact that I wrote an 20 page essay and did a 15 minute presentation about quasars at age 13. It was the best project out of 18 of the countries smartest 13 to 17 year olds. I'm smart, and you cant say I'm not.