Techno/Synth

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by OutThere, May 1, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have a pretty strong background in music...many years on the trumpet and piano and several courses in music theory, so the basics are covered.

Recently I've been getting interested in techno...but only as far as listening.

I'd be interested in trying my hand at making some beats and seeing what I can do, but I have no idea where to start. I have 0 knowledge on how techno is mixed. Can anyone point me towards some really basic info or websites on mixing techno-type tracks, or anything of the like? I'm quite interested in getting to know more about this...thanks! :)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

FutureMusic Magazine out of England for starters

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

for what it's worth...

I actually tell everybody this, but:
    you should check out iDrum. You'll be able to get a techno beat going in nothing flat. Just import into GarageBand and add whatever loops you want...

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
  5. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

You want software that will do loops/repeated beats. Reason is perhaps the best for Mac/Win. FL Studio on Windows is good (no Mac version). Of course Cubase or Logic can be used to make techno too. Techno is easy to make and fun. Good luck!

6. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

forgot about this thread...thanks for the input guys! I've started with some basic tutorials and I'm looking in to Reason.