Technology Prejudice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ceruleanventure, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2006
    Does this happen to anyone else?

At college I find myself constantly confronted with it. What I mean by technology prejudice is being denied something such as a service simply because you do not have the "correct" type of item or cannot afford it. For example, my college campus is completely un mac friendly. You can't log into most systems or services such as the wirless network if you have a mac. I'm an English major and for some weird reason I get a lot of assigned tv home work (like watching a special on the History Channel or something) But guess what, I don't have a tv and cannot afford to pay the $60 a month for cable the college charges.

Just today, I attempted to cash a check I got from work study at the college's bank. I've done it many times before, no problem. But recently they decided that they need your phone number to cash a check (this doesn't happen at real banks as far as I know lol) I filled out the check correctly and told the teller that I don't have a phone number. Her response was something like "what do you mean you don't have one? everyone at least has a cellphone"
    I got a bit angry and told her that I couldn't afford one and she called over her manager who promptly denied my check.

Has anyone noticed how things have changed lately? It seems that everyone needs every gadget or a money tree to succeed in life. History has always been about the haves and have nots, but I think that it's beginning to get ridiculous. Since when have cell phones and cable tv become a necessity to surviving in this world?
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I know exactly what you mean. I don't have a TV either, and back in the undergrad days it became necessary to get a cheap, crappy 13"er in order to watch stuff (while I was on campus, since we had free cable in the dorms). Since then, though, the main problem I've faced is not having a dedicated phone line, and only a cell. Hell, I had to activate the cell from a landline, and I didn't have one or know anyone who did!

So yeah, not having certain things (TV, phone, etc) can certainly put you at a disadvantage. Most places require a phone number as assurance you can in fact be reached, so I could see you having problems with that.

Have you thought about a cheap pay-as-you-go cell plan, or anything like that?

Good luck!
  3. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    All I can say is I wouldn't have a life if it were not for my phone, TV, and computer! But honestly, I know you say you cannot afford it, but you should have a cell phone so people can contact you or in case of an is kind of a necessity in the world and rather inexpensive compared to most things in life!

I do hope things get better for you! :)
  4. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    (for future issues of this nature...)
    Why not either give a phone number that belongs to a friend/family member? That is a problem that will come up occasionally. Or fake number them. 439-0116

That said, I know what you mean; it can get a bit annoying at times.
  5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Ooh! How about the rejection hotline?:D
  6. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    I'm gonna agree with you on the Cable issue. You shouldn't need to buy Cable to finish your homework. As for the phone, I consider it a necessity regardless, but I would give them your local area code + 867-5309.
  7. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Does your school library (or city) have videos? Usually they'll stock some of the History channel/PBS/Discovery, etc. specials.

Maybe you have a friend who'll let you come over and watch TV? You can get a DVD/VCR 13" TV for $150 at Target, if you can save up for a few months to get it. Even better would be to find someone who has a Costco membership and ask them to buy the TV (you'd pay) because they're usually way cheaper there.

Yeah, I don't know. I have cable although I've never used it for school purposes so it seems weird that your school needs you to watch things that are on cable. I find that the internet can solve all problems - but it'd be a problem if I couldn't connect to the network. And the person who denied the check because you don't have a phone number - ridiculous! I would've complained. Just use a friend's number or something though. (Lol, I've used the local Pizza Hut's number for things before :eek: )

Maybe it's time to change schools.. lol.
  8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I'm sorry if I sound a little rude here, but how can you not afford a cellphone?

Can't you get a cheap one (like the nokia 1100:D :cool: ) which even comes with a torch:cool: ;) :D or even a second hand one?
  9. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    That is really wierd, i have never experienced that. Yes my school did not know how to put my ibook on the network so told me that i couldnt but then i did it myself. Apart from this, i have never had this problem
  10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I don't know what country you (OP) live in. And I can certainly understand that there are countries in which getting a phone is not an easy endeavor. And I also totally understand the Mac thing... if there's a wireless network, there's no sensible reason it shouldn't be accessible to any device that complies to appropriate security standards and whose user accepts appropriate policy. But "it doesn't work with Macs" is ridiculous, because you have to go out of your way to make a network not work with a Mac.

And yet, all in all, I hate to say it, but I rather agree with Dexter. It seems like what you are asking for is that the world operate according to 19th century principles to accommodate you. Your school should have lounges or library services for getting you the TV shows. Or else team up with a classmate. And get a phone, FFS. It's not reasonable for all of your classmates to use chalkboards and ruled paper because you don't want to own or use technological devices that enhance education....

If that's really your goal in life -- to avoid technology (which would make this an odd post in an online forum for a community surrounding a relatively avant garde tech company's products... :rolleyes: ) then you are certainly welcome to live in a tree and eat grasshoppers. But it's reasonable that you go out and find a tree and grasshoppers, rather than holding your classmates to that standard because you choose it for yourself.
  11. ceruleanventure thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2006
    Don't get the wrong idea, I love technology, and I am also a proud American citizen. I'm also not poor, just very middle class lol. The college I attend here is prestigious and also very expensive. I'm only attending because of financial aid. I'm frustrated though with the college demanding cells phones because in all honesty I can't afford one. I'm putting myself through school and can't afford to piss away $150 for a phone or a tv. I understand that things like textbooks or computers are a nessicity at college, so I use my money towards those, but demanding cells phones and cable tv I think goes too far for educational requirements. I only have stuff like my iMac cause my parents got it for me.

Thanks to those who recommended using the library to find the shows, I haven't thought about it. I also hope that no one thinks I am some luddite lol. I'm here at Macrumors because I LOVE Apple stuff!
  12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Ahhh, okay. I'm sorry too. I think I got a little rantish there. :eek: :(

So ... you don't have a telephone. You live by yourself, in an apartment or a dorm? If it's a dorm, I'm surprised you don't just have telephone service as part of your fees.... Or do you live with other people also without a telephone on the premises? Have you explored getting a pre-paid phone for emergencies? You should be able to get away with spending <<$10/mo on this. If you get a pre-paid phone, typically the amount you purchase lasts for several months, if not indefinitely. And so if you get it, keep it charged, and just don't use it, it's a really good investment in your safety, as it gives people a way to reach you if they need you, and you a way to reach out if you need help. Having no access to a telephone in the US isn't safe.

I think one of the hardest things is asking for help. The system shouldn't be designed based on needing to ask for help. And yes, I think I agree at least that you shouldn't have to have cable TV in order to be in class (FFS, if you had a digital satellite dish, you still might not have the channel they want you to watch).

But I also think you'll find that in many of these situations, people will be much happier to help than you think. If I were in your class, I'd think I'd be very happy to let someone come over to watch the show with me. Or again the library might have the show available or a lounge you can use or something like this.
  13. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    I've actually gone for years at a time without having a phone...just couldn't afford it. $30 a month is a LOT when you're a college student and you're paying your way through with your dishwashing job.

but yes, I've had some un-Mac moments. My MCSE prof posts sample questions on his website, but they only run in Internet Explorer and not in Safari. I've got IE on my old G4, so I wind up having to connect to it from my Mini over my network and run it remotely...slow, and a pain in the @ss.

and of course, lots of things on the net aren't Mac-friendly. I look at it like this: if it won't work on my Mac, then I'm probably not missing anything. Ooh...I can't download pirated movies from BitTorrent...big whoop :rolleyes: