TechTV is officially dead

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Feb 15, 2005.

1. macrumors Core

MacNut

As of February, 15 G4TechTV has become G4TV once again. So for anyone who cares or was still watching and I don't think that many were. The Screen Savers may also end on Wednesday.

2. macrumors 6502a

jadam

TechTV used to be one of those channels that was always on my TV, either that or Discovery Wings. When G4 bought it, I tried, I really did try to watch it, but it sucked. Once they kicked Leo and the older screen savers staff, things just got sucky.

3. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Hasn't TechTV been G4TechTV for a while now? :confused:

4. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

But what we really want to know is: When is the G5 coming out? :D

6. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Was anyone here ever a member at the their forums? (old and/or new)

7. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It is about time that they drop the techtv name from the network as they have ruined it since the takeover. G4 is a joke and its a shame that quality has to be sacrificed to make money.

8. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  9. Guest

iGary

I used to have Tech TV on 24-7 as well.

*sigh*

Too bad. :(

10. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Bah... That's a real shame :mad:

TechTV was easily the best tech show on television, anytime, anywhere. The hosts were awesome, knew what they were talking about, and had a good time. These G4 bloats are lame and annoying, their shows are sub-par in production and in acting ability, and... and... they ran out my hero, Kevin Rose!! :eek: :(

11. macrumors 6502

bbyrdhouse

Sad News!

I too, used to have Tech TV on nearly 24/7. It was actually my favorite channel on Satelite.

I really did enjoy Leo and Patrick, but when G$ took over you couold see, almost overnight, a new cheesy, new fangled, low quality feel to it.

Kinda like watching a really bad B movie.

Maybe another station will pick them up.

12. macrumors regular

RAS admin

Yup, another one here who used to watch The Screen Savers on TechTV. I used to pay $10 extra a month to get basic digital cable, even though TechTV was the only channel (on those digital channels) that I actually watched. At one point I cancelled the digital serivce and went back to regular basic cable, but that was before the G4 takeover. Finally, I got a deal on digital cable with movie channels and DVR last summer and was very disappointed to find TechTV had gone downhill... I don't watch it at all anymore, but then again, I don't play video games either! :(

13. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

You and me both. Screen Savers, Fresh Gear, Conspiracies, and Invent This were all great shows. RIP TechTV.

14. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

One can only hope that Leo, Patrick, Yoshi and the gang will start their own network and bring back the shows I used to love to watch. The "merger" was a waste, I wasn't really sure of the point....boy that lasted long :mad:

15. macrumors 6502a

Well count me as another person who used to love most of the shows on TechTV. Good thing G4 killed it because clearly I was enjoying it too much.

But seriously, the Screen Savers is horrible. I try to watch the reruns in the afternoon, but it seems like everything is some stupid inside joke. And that new Kevin guy is just so awkward. It's as if they tried to find the guy that would be the worst host for the show.

It could just be me, but it seems as though there's a childish sexual tension that has overtaken the entire show. Disgusting really.

Matt

16. macrumors newbie

rhix

About time!

At least now they aren't damaging what was once a good name. TechTV rocked. That and Discovery Channel (with occasional CBC-bouts) were all I watched for a very long time. I had never heard of G4 before ther merger, and found out there's a reason for that. ****** channels don't often become popular. How could they get rid of Fresh Gear? Do gamers not like fancy new devices? The gradual perversion (in all senses of the word) of TSS eventually rendered it totally unwatchable.

Now we get to wait till they rename Discovery to something more accurate, like MonsterVision. I miss educational television. :(

17. macrumors regular

Well actually Leo has started Call For Help again. It's on G4 Canada and apparently Australia now too. It's done in Toronto, a lot of Canadians were upset when it was cancelled so Rogers Cable decided to do it themselves.

18. macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I never had TechTV. Only G4, so when that merger happened I was happy. I loved the Screen Savers. But after they kicked all the other people, and got all new people, I cried.

That used to be an awesome show...now its no better than X-Play.

Tell me, was the screen savers a live show? I always thought that it was, but couldn't be sure.

Mike

19. macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

casual gamers perspective

i was actually happy with the new format that G4 brought in by acquiring TechTV. i'm not a hardcore gamer, but i definitely liked to watch shows that highlighted the gaming industry. sure, we saw the E3 2004 highlights a bit too much, but it was still something different for me. it was like watching MTV all the time when you were in college. now you watched TechTV its hip for our generation.

eventually though, i started to see the mediocracy of the programming involved. the show is broadcasted in what looks like a low quality MPEG-2 format. during the screensavers, you can see distortion during their digital video effects. the native G4 shows looked like public access cable. and the hosts are like the guys who would make fun of me at the coffee house cause i was using a mac.

when unscrewed was cancelled i think i finally began to see our beloved TechTV fade away. NOONE can replace the witty sarcasm and website props of Martin Sergeant and Laura Shwisher. Definitely a show too immature AND intelligent for our time.

was G4 after xplay and robot wars all this time? i'm starting to see the writing in xplay get dumbed down a little with each new episode. last night they gave an action-RPG a 1 out 5 without any real reason except "that it was boring"

20. thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

They didn't just want xplay but the big viewer base of techtv that they could inherit instead.

21. macrumors regular

Actually, they had nothing to do with Leo leaving. He was basically shown the door by the previous owner not long after the merger was announced (but long before it was completed) due to some stock issue. (http://leoville.com/blog/index.php/TLR/comments/end_of_line/)

22. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea I think TSS was a live show (for the first showing that is). It used to be a 90 minute show, then went down to 60 minutes, then back up to 90 minutes.

Awhh, how I miss those days :( Stupid G4 :mad:

23. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

The "old" Discovery is now, more or less, The Science Channel - recommended viewing.

24. macrumors 6502

bbyrdhouse

I believe that in the early days TSS was a 30 minute show for a short while. (I might be thinking of "Call For Help")

You Know........ this really sucks.

I felt as if Leo really knew what he was talking about and wasn't some pimple faced, hormone driven, 20 something "Duh, That's cool, Duh" fella.

Stupid G4!!! :mad: :mad:

25. macrumors 6502

I was a member, but then they closed the mac board when G4 bought them, so I drifted for a while before finding MacRumors in the fall.

oh, and MacNut I love your avatar!! :D