ted kennedy: Roberts and Alito Misled Us

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 30, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

an excellent piece, imo.

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm not surprised Alito and Roberts lied during the hearings. It sould have been clear to the Senate Judiciary Committee at the time too. I knew something was up when the Republicans, like Ted Kennedy had said, were just sucking up to Roberts and Alito. I honestly don't know why/how those two made it to the Supreme Court.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The fact is that Congress sold us out by not having any backbone.

They knew it was going to happen and they let it happen anyway.

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Exactly. It's dissapointing. I guess the only way to get rid of them is assasination. Someone want to take one for the team?

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What are you, Ann Coulter?

Roberts is the dangerous one. Alito is obviously right leaning, but has been somewhat fair in a few cases. Not as good as his predecessor, but not quite as bad as you'd think. Especially if we could get a little more balance. Roberts came on like a moderate and is as far right as the man he replaced, if not more so from what I've seen of him. Worse, he seems to be of the neocon ilk. I'm just waiting for them to really push some issues like gay rights and abortion.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ah, but this has been true forever. It is in the nature of a comittee to avoid change, to seek stagnation and to legislate in an ultimately self serving manner. Congress has historically ALWAYS sat out the most crucial decisions until matters forced their hand. From the decisions surrounding actions in every war ad chrisis Congress has elected to continue bickering while the country went to hell.

The executive is, of course no better. We have had a functional oligarchy for the whole history of this country. Only in the last few decades have telecommunications allowed the public to wake up to the true horror of the farce of their own "freedom".

Say what you will about Canada and it's laws but I tell you it is more a free nation of open minded people than this one. Dissolution of government (not just one schmuck taking it in the shorts and then getting pardoned) is a very real option for Canada. Don't like the Parliament? get rid of it. Can't do that here.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

So are you shiite or sunni?

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Agreed.

Um...how about impeachment instead?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Everyone knew they were lying when they were confirmed. Not much of a surprise there.

The day will come when the GOP will have to defend their position on whether the president's nominee deserves an 'up or down vote' with a Democratic president...

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Did Ted suddenly sober up?

This story should be tagged as "Our Congressmen are ****ing idiots."

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Aint it the truth, The American people should fire everyone of these corporate paid for bastards. Vote out the incumbant, at least in the Senate.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Those two may be huge tools, but they are also Supreme Court Justices and should be afforded a certain amount of respect. An assassination is the exact opposite of what should happen in a Constitutional Republic, that's the kind of banana republic nonsense that has made Lebanon and Iraq such complete disasters.

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Roberts and Alito didn't mislead anybody. Everybody knew what was up with them the second Bush put them up for nimination.

By definition, it's the Senate that has misled us. The Democrats shouldn't have allowed the vote. They bent over for Bush and surprise! we got it in the ass.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Just so everyone knows, I don't advocate the assasination of anyone. I was joking.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Too late. The FBI is already on the way to your house. ;)

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why should your government have a monopoly on political assassination?

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

We don't, remember you have 007!;)