Teen accused of leaking Apple secrets

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Good. If he was getting his information through dodgy means, he should be punished, as should the person leaking the info to him since he should have kept his mouth shut.

While I like rumour sites because we get to talk about things that may come out at an Apple event, I also like to be shocked by unexpected product announcements, not just "pleased" with the fact that ThinkSecret was correct.

This guy thinks he's doing me a favour. All he's doing is ruining MWSF and the speculation that makes it so exciting. Rumours are nice and cause discussions.....leaking all info before the big day is a downer. What TS did was beyond giving us gossip. I already had the impression that TS was going to be correct in almost everything they were stating, and I'm sure most people here did as well. Think about it: Even on the day before MWSF, this place was dead because we already exhausted all discussion on the flash-based iPod and the headless Mac, Pages....

Why ruin Apple's party?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Do we really need another thread on this situation?

jon

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, we do...

...not need it.

[​IMG]

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

We should give CubaTBird a break. The article was written on Friday January 14th. Now all Mac fans are waiting to see how this lawsuit will end up. Since he doesn't have much money, it will all depend on finding a lawyer willing to take on Apple. Otherwise Nicholas M. Ciarelli will have to negotiate with Apple.

5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I will never figure this out. people cheer when they find out about the mini or any of this things and yet the 2nd that apple goes after the person who leak it you all go way to go apple stick it to them. That is pretty hippictcal of the comminty in it self if you think about it

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm not sure what "hippictcal" means ;) , but I don't think many of us are being hypocritical because we haven't supported the leaking of real information.

I for one was a little p.o.'d because I'd rather be surprised. Nobody who knows anything buys right before MWSF anyway, so it's not like they were really helping us out.

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I agree, remember we are on a rumor site. ;)

8. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

I actually know Nick Ciarelli's roomate at Harvard.

In my opinion it's really too bad that Apple is going after this kid. Sure he recieved information from "dodgy" sources, but he should be able to say whatever he likes. It is Apple's fault for letting it's information leak. It should be simple first amendment stuff.

Unfortunately, being that Apple is a relatively powerful company with enough money to hire good lawyers, and unfortunately since Nick is just a student with little money, Apple may be able to win this case and make a statement like "Hey, news publications, don't publish secrets."

If Apple were to go up against, for instance, The New York Times, then the New York Times would most definitely win the case.

9. gwangung macrumors 65816

Look up trade secrets. It's rarely simple - for example, if a trade secret is stolent, Apple DOES have remedies (and quite properly, too).

It's probably BECAUSE NickCiarelli is a kid that he didn't take this seriously and thought a blanket First Amedment argument would suffice, without considering that he might be wrong.

10. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

it's not that he has the right to publish, he does. if he hears something he can repeat it. well as long as it's not slander/libel/bomb threat/pres assn/under NDA/copyrighted secret/the identity of a US spy(if you're a congressman that is).

it's that apple believe's he was soliciting apple employees or NDAs for secrets which is bad. I call it B-C (business - consumer) espionage.

also, for apple it's in doubt whether or not "flash ipod at MWSF for $99" is actually a trade secret.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

wow, that kid is really in trouble this time!

12. ipodmann macrumors member

I find the whole situation rather troubling and funny to say the least. A good lawyer should be able to handle this case and win. Given the amount of publicity that Apple is getting with their products right now, a lawyer should jump on this case and counter sue. Apple is doing this simply because it has lost control of their employees and is attempting to take advantage of this situation to make even more of a name for itself. To get free advertising on CNN is worth millions.

I communicated with this kid and gave him some info on some software I was beta testing. He never came across as one who is attempting to make me break my agreement with the company. He simply advertised on his site that he was eager to learn about anything new and exciting in any Apple related field. I simply contacted him and then just offered what I knew. I suspect that is what happens with most of his info. He just has a popular website which thousand follow. If Apple thinks that it can win this, they must know a great deal more about this case (which I doubt). Hell they were dumb enough to believe that IBM will give them a 3ghz chip by this last summer.
    :D

13. gwangung macrumors 65816

Look up the concept of trade secrets. This is a winnable case for Think Secret, but it's by no means a slam dunk; there's a prima facie case to be made that a company that thrives on innovation is hurt substantially by premature release of details of a new product. And a palatable legal remedy for this damage is for Think Secret to give up the name of its source.

14. 3Memos macrumors 6502

One part of me wants to hear about accurate rumors. Another part of me is hoping to be delighted out of my pants when Steve intros a new Apple product. Oh the dilemma an Apple fan faces.

15. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

figure I would show this one again. I might like to point out if you visit a rumor site and then you say cheer for apple when it does something like this I going to say you should just never visit a rumor site since you like reading the rumors but with the other had you say way to go apple. Hypocrits I think are the worse people out there simple because you can not trust them. They do not practic what they preach. Either A you dont like rumors and there for should not be visiting rumor sites (aka Macrumors.com for example) or B dont like when apple does something like this

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple is the one to blame for their whole secret mess and is why we have sites as these and macrumors. Fact Apple is behind the PC industry in Hardware so they try to make up for it with secret new boxes these same componets live in. When the industry has moved on apple introduces something made of old componets and then wants to act like it state secrets. MiniMac is old hardware and for apple to act as a.....i hate to say it BABY over for gods sake another G4 machine with clocks from years ago and video to match is down right idiotic. I sure would like to know where the state secret was in that machine, i wonder if we ever will find it.

17. ipodmann macrumors member

Nick has a defense team.

Just as I suspected a good firm has decided to take this case.
    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/defense.html

For the first time in my life I am rooting against Apple. In the end I suspect they will settle once they figure out a way to flush out the moles. :D