Teen Arrested for Blaster.B Virus

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You have to wonder about that. If you were careful, getting caught wouldn't happen. Its more likely this kid *had* to show it to someone that he blew it.

And at 18 he's going to be screwed.....

D

2. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...it'll depend on whether the judge got any the night before and if the kid has any prior record...

but still...this is serious stuff...

it seems internet crimes are becoming as heavily dealt with as any other...

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I agree and this is going to be a watershed case that sets the tone for how this stuff is dealt with. True, other hackers have gotten prison time, but I think that this instance was more widely "felt" than any other.

I'm not sure how much of the FBI's impending arrest of this guy is attributable to luck and how much to good detective work. If it's mostly luck, which is to say, if in general we are highly unlikely to catch any specific worm writer, then his punishment might have to be pretty severe if it's going to act as an effective specific deterent.

5. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i expect a harsh sentence if he's convicted. they might even try to classify it as some kind of terrorist act. and i'm sure they'll try him in a tough sentence-friendly court...texas, maybe? :D

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

What worries me is the terrorist or cybersoldier doing something like this - he won't brag.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I find it amazing that an 18 year old would have 7 computers! He's going to have along time to think about his deed. His second lesson is that bragging never pays!

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I agree, this kid may face terror-related charges under the new Patriot Act. He's about as dumb as can be for bragging about it in an online chatroom.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im giving this a guy a hand. i love the virus he unleashed. it made many computers mess up and people never kept their computer up to date. then they brought it into the our store to have it fixed, thanks parson ;). ok with that aside, pretty cool how he made it, its just terrible all that knowledge had to go to something illegal, especially something illegal he couldnt profit from. he wont be touching a computer for a long time. personally i think microsoft should do him a favor and hire him and let him help them patch stuff, but im sure microsoft already knows most of the holes in their system.

iJon

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Guys... he made blaster 'b' he wasn't even the creator of it...

And he will probably still be charged with a million years in prison.

:(

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Little Kid...

Ain't no "little kid."

[​IMG]

This is the face of a BIG boy.

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

not to worry! If it's not so serious that he is banned from operating a computer, then he's just guaranteed himself a job.

He just does his time, uses it to learn a few more languages and keep up with the new flaws of new version of Windows, and he'll be hired by the govt. or some private security firm when he gets out!

This could be his big break. ;)

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

they are trying him in seattle...I don't know much about Washington, but if it's socially similar to Oregon (my friend lives in Portland), then they should go easy on him--A tough sentence there would probably be considered a violation of civil liberties. :D

14. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

it said in the article that the attack on windowsupdate.com was "easily blunted". i may be wrong, but iirc, microsoft had to shut down that site or relocate or something....

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Do they now? that's fascinating, I'll alert the media!

pnw

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, I think those "experts" should be given a big bonus for working through that clever conundrum all by themselves, don't you paul?

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

lol i'm just wondering, if hackers routinely substitute 3 for E in their usernames, how does one identify a hacker with no E's in his name?

:)

if it took them this long to catch this little idiot, they'll never catch the ones that actually know how to hide their identity. Apparently a virus has to have a little "made with care by ..." tag to help these "experts" along.

There's no E in "paul", does that mean I would be successful?

pnw

18. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Nope. You'd spell your name p4ul or something like that so those clever experts would get you anyhow.:D

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

"Hackers also routinely substitute 1 for L in their usernames, as in the 1337, or leet, the name for this sort of letter substitution."

I guess you're out of luck...

edit: But what if your handle were in Sanskrit. Hackers also routinely substitute 0% for Om (written as it should be, in Sanskrit) in their handles?!!!

20. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Jeffrey Lee Parson, 18, of Hopkins, Minnesota. Author of the Blaster.B version. Shame shame. I'm glad he's not a minor, so he won't get off "free". Assuming he's guilty as charged.

22. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

[Stewie Griffin]

Oooo...I like my hacker name! I feel so diiiirty!
    [/Stewie Griffin]

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Meh, it was that guys fault, if he atleast didn't have him *name* or his site's name within the code or file name, he is really not smart.

24. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I know this kid is going to a long sentense, and you know what, it wont solve anything. Seriously, nothing good will come out of giving him doing jail time, nothing.

First off, this kid didn't really do anything but type a few lines of code into a program on a computer, and click the mouse a few times. The only reason he will go to jail is because he doesn't have the dream lawyors of OJ simpson, or Kenneth Lay. He is just an average kid.

Also, if the anti-trust lawsuit against microsoft had actually worked, far less people would have been affected, and thus this wouldn't have been such a national crisis. But unfortunately in this society the eliete protect the eliete, and microsoft still monoplosizes the market because the elected officials have been paid off NOT to flex their muscle and level the playing field in the computer market.

I got the virus on 2 of my PC's, and there was NO harm done, this virus was not intended to do any damage to the users. When I got it, I wasn't mad at the creator of the virus, but I was mad at Microsoft. Heck, I get more angry with spam then I did with this virus.

They should think of a creative sentense that lets the kid live a normal life, but he has to go to high schools and tell about the dangers of hacking and illegal internet stuff. Or better yet, why doesn't the government hire the most eliete hackers, and get them on our side, and utilize them, not fight them?

Hackers should be glorfied soldiers in the new battle taking place on the internet, because that is where the next terror attacks are coming from. Imagine a blackout coast to coast? Who would prevent it, the poliece, the fireman, microsoft, the government? Nope, only skilled hackers like this kid. This kid is a hero, not a villian. Forget Colombus day, there should be a Hacker's Appreciation day!

--Waluigi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.