Teen Driver's Insurance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Hi Everyone,

I am just curious how much it costs for a teenage boy's driving insurance. My parents tell me its a lot.

I am just wondering, specifically, how much it costs. I know your honor role status affect it, and your car type, and your history of violations, but I want to get a ball park figure.

Thanks

2. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

1000 a year i think but i'll ask my dad later

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It really does vary tremendously based on insurer, coverage, what type of vehicle you have, and whether you have your own vehicle or use one of your parents' cars. But I'd say a ballpark figure is $2000/year.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Just pop on over to Geico or Progressive or whoever and get a quote for your specific situation.

It will be quite expensive.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The State you live in is huge Factor too. When I first stared driving (8 years ago) I was paying just over $2000 a year in PA.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

When I was 18 my premium came out to about $1600 a year, and that was with the 20% good student discount.

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

It also depends on the vehicle.

When I turned 16 (in 1999), I didn't have a car, so I was put on with my Mom's 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My payment was $150 per month. My parents then bought me a 1991 Toyota Camry, and the payment went down to $110 per month.

Here's a few tips:
    1. SUVs & Trucks will cost you more.
    2. Boys insurance costs more than girls.

8. ErikCLDR thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Why is red more costly to insure?

9. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I asked my agent, and he said statistically, red vehicles are in more accidents and get more tickets than any other color.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's actually a myth...in fact, it's question #1 in Progressive's Myth vs. Reality Quiz.

11. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I heard reports awhile back that teen girls' car insurance is rapidly rising - almost to the insane, ridiculous amount they charge teen boys.

12. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I'm not sure if this isn't just one of those urban myths... the theory is that red is a sporty color and therefore people who have selected a red car are more more likely to drive faster.

My insurance in North Carolina is about $1200 a year. I'm not sure if that's high or low for teenagers in my state. I'm insured for all my parents cars as well as my own (including a red porsche... so if the red thing is true I might be paying a bit more then average).

My rates should drop pretty significantly when I turn 21 in a year... no accidents or tickets so far.

EDIT: beaten by a few people... guess it is a myth.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Also falls in with those personality studies.

Of course so do the vehicles you drive, so driving a Buick or Mercury Gran Marquis (the Crown Victoria is more) will also likely cut the insurance rate more than most other vehicles.

But as a teen, it is worth taking in a few vehicles for the agent to compare anyhow.

14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Interesting.

I know that it used to be, but apparently policies have changed over time.

15. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

This is one of things you would be better off being older. I was a teenager once. If I were a CEO of an insurance company now, I would jack up the car insurance premium for teenagers through the roof for any household which has teenage drivers.

16. TowerRat macrumors newbie

Insurance

in Washington State with State Farm I pay $129.00 USD per month for a 17 yr old.

If the student got better grades. it would drop to $99 per month.

Fat Chance of that happening

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Just because Progressive says they don't, doesn't mean that other companies still don't. It also doesn't even really prove to me that progressive doesn't. I think that myth comes from the fact that more sports cars are likely to be red, hence on average sports cars cost more for insurance so technically red would cost more, even thought a red dodge stratus wouldn't quite fit that description.

you could always threaten his driving privileges depending on the circumstances.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here's an article about what your car's color says about you. It also mentions a 2005 Chicago Sun-Times article that shows that 25% of people mistakenly believe that car color affects your rates...couldn't find that article in a quick search.

19. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

FWIW when I was 16 (6 years ago), I was paying $160/month with a '95 Acura Integra coupe, no record, and the good student discount in Washington State.

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Miami, FL is crap for insurance. My rate used to be about $2,300-2,400/yr, and that was with a perfect record, driving an old junker. Now that I'm in my 20s, the rate has dropped a bit, but it's still pretty bad. :rolleyes:

21. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm in Jersey and to insure me on my mom and stepdad's cars at a secondary driver it only costs about $35/month (i'm not joking, i don't know how it is that low but that's really what it is). 17 years old, '04 Honda Civic and '99 Mazda Miata. I have Traveler's Insurance and am making full use of the Good Grades program as well as the "6 hour behind-the-wheel" training which also reduces costs.

I'm not looking forward to the end of March when i buy out my mom's lease on her Civic and am insured solely as a primary driver, $35 is pretty hard to beat ;)

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4 grand a year. I win.

And with that, you'd think I'd drive a Ferrari, not a freakin Hyundai.

23. zflauaus macrumors 65816

HOLY FRACK!!!! How old are you? I live 60 miles away and I think my rates are going to be about $1200-1500 when I start in August.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hope that is for full coverage, instead of just liability.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

20. I'll be 21 in March, and AAA says it's going to go down A LOT.

Definitely full coverage. My car's only 3 years old so I wouldn't have anything less.

FWIW, I do have one accident on my record, but that was 3 years ago and I think after 3 years, it's no longer a factor in my premium.