Teen finds his pick on a missing child website....gets his mom arrested

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 18, 2004.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow... that IS wierd... he must have has some sort of suspission to be looking at a site like that anyway?

2. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm sure he did - especially with his mom leaving Canada, going to Mexico and then to the US in 95. But what really sucks is that he's in a foster home now....you'd think he'd get reunited with his dad.

And the Holidays won't be the same at their house any more....:(

D

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a sad story, pray that it will have a happy ending. He is quit a bright 17 year old. Since there are always two sides to every story, I wonder what caused her to take her son and flee in the first place. The important thing is that the young man's own interests are protected.

4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    that is definately crazy, i wonder what was going through his head when he found his picture on the site.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Crazy stuff.

Her sister in-low was quoted saying "They were taking her child away and she did what she had to do."

So, what about the father who never saw his son again?

:rolleyes:

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the mother had damn well better have a good explanation... nothing short of either "he was abusing him" to "he was taking him to opium dens"... otherwise, what a heinous woman, to be so selfish as to steal a child from his father. that's sick.

paul

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also hope that she has a good explanation for her actions. The action of divorce and custody is a very contentious situation. It is the son that we need to have our real concern.

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

While I in no way condone this behavior, I think that "kidnap" is a bit strong when you consider that she is his mother. It's just a custody dispute. Good grief. Take a child away from his own mother because she loved him enough to break the law to keep him? Is that the only recourse our wrongheaded justice system has--take the child away and put him in a foster home?

The really sad irony is that if the is kid 17, he could have just waited until he was 18 to contact his dad. He would have been free to do as he pleased and and, as long as his dad was willing to be discreet, kept his mom out of trouble.

I mean, yes, she broke the law. Yes, it's serious. But the consequences are off the hook stupid, IMO.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How can you recognize a photo of yourself from when you were 3? The articles say he "saw his picture on a missing children's Web site" or "spotted his own photo" but it probably had his name listed too. At least I would think so.

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I read the story in newsday...

But in newsday they said he was gonna be reunited with his dad...

Hmmm who is lying... hmmm...

:confused:

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The article I read said that the boy was going to be given the choice of whether to stay in the USA or go to Alberta where his father lives. His father and his father's family were hoping he would choose to "come home" and wanted to get to know him. I got the impression that his father understood that he can't simply show up and pretend his life had been otherwise. Meanwhile, his mother explained to a friend of hers that something bad in her past had caught up with her. There didn't seem to be any controversy as to whether she was guilty as charged, except for the issue about whether a noncustodial parent taking a child is a lesser crime than "real" kidnapping.