Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by edesignuk
Bright sparks at that dealership then :rolleyes:

Funny stuff!

You have to wonder if the salesman is working there any more :D

If he does, he's going to get all sorts of crap from his coworkers....how could you not pass up an opportunity there

D :p

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
:D hehe...

I can imagine the salesman's dissapointment in finding out the whole thing was a scam. Imagine selling 2 of these things!

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
Well, that teen got his 15 minutes of fame and fun. Now for the 15 years of jail... Well, since he's a minor, he likely won't go to jail, but that'll look very bad if he ever wants to find work anywhere where he has his criminal record scanned (especially at BMW:p ).

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Originally posted by KC9AIC
Well, that teen got his 15 minutes of fame and fun. Now for the 15 years of jail... Well, since he's a minor, he likely won't go to jail, but that'll look very bad if he ever wants to find work anywhere where he has his criminal record scanned (especially at BMW:p ).

Or it might look good if he wants to work in the fraud division of a company. He has experience.:)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I bet BMW are well pi$$ed now.... they don't sell many 7 series at the best of times.... heheheh

This reminds of the 4 steps to test drive a Ferrari... :D

First off...

Go to a Ford Dealer and arrange to take a 24 hour test drive of a Fiesta (cheap car, they won't worry) ;)

Then drive straight to a Rover Dealer in the Fiesta to get a 24 hour test drive in a Rover 75 because you want something alittle bigger (shouldn't have any worries here because Rover sell only 1 car a month heheh)

Then take the Rover straight to a BMW Dealer and say you're looking to move up to the big league, and quite fancy a 7 Series... (as BMW sell even fewer 7 Series than Rover do 75's, then they shouldn't have a problem letting you have one for 24 hours) ;)

Finally drive the BMW to a Ferrari Dealership and say that you're looking for something sporty to go with the BMW and hey presto.... Ferrari test drive! ;) :D :p

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
So, has this worked for you? Or have you been stimied at the Ford Dealer :p

D

I drive my dads Mercedes up to a dealership ... then feed them the story that my dad is very busy man and doesn't have time to go around test driving cars with me so he told me to find a car a like and then he'll come in when i finally find the one i like ...

Naturally you go through the process of asking all the finance questions, and anything else that might come up

i took a subaru WRX out for a test drive a few weeks ago ... sweet ride

naturally to make this scam official you go into the office for a 30 minute talk with the guy, ask him for paperwork, figures, and anything else that buying a car requires. And you walk out of the dealership.

Being 19, i still have yet to try this scam at the big boys, so far the most expensive car that i've tried, and succeeded in taking out was in the 34 - 37 thousand range (CND).

Maybe this summer when i have some more time

im lucky enough to know the son of the owner of the luxury car importer back home. every time a new shipment of cars comes in we go out for a joy ride. they arrive in the docks which is near an old abandoned airstrip...a porsche can really rip down a run way!!! WOO HOO

but this kid is a retard could have used a fake name or addy!!!

There is a story around here, I don't know if it is true, about a Lexington, KY dealership called Quantell Cadillac. According to legend, way back in the early days of the dealershipl, a dirty, unshaven, old man with missing teeth walked in and wanted a test drive. The salesman replied with "Get out of here, old man! I don't have time to play games with you!" The old man returned a few days later to show off his new Mercedes. It turned out that the man had made millions mining coal from his own land in Eastern KY his whole life! They do now keep a sign hanging in their showroom that says "Treat every customer like a millionaire."

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by flyfish29
Or is he? Isn't identy theft a federal offense? Would have meant much larger penalties???

But if its a fake name, made up, its not identity theft - and he might not have been able to get the thing then. But who knows, finding a dealer to believe him as it is, was lucky enough.

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
being a teenager i thought he would go with the z4 or the m3 coupe. I can't believe he would do it. ill do some sneaky things in my life, but if anyone thinks they can fool someone out of a 123 grand car is crazy.

iJon

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Originally posted by iGAV
I bet BMW are well pi$$ed now.... they don't sell many 7 series at the best of times.... heheheh

This reminds of the 4 steps to test drive a Ferrari... :D

First off...

Go to a Ford Dealer and arrange to take a 24 hour test drive of a Fiesta (cheap car, they won't worry) ;)

Then drive straight to a Rover Dealer in the Fiesta to get a 24 hour test drive in a Rover 75 because you want something alittle bigger (shouldn't have any worries here because Rover sell only 1 car a month heheh)

Step two is where you will get stuck. I've been able to take out a Mustang myself or with a friend from the local Ford dealer without even producing any insurance documents and just leaving an ID. BUT every other dealer I've gone to including BMW own't let you take out a car without the salesman going with you. It would be a bit hard to explane at that point.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the kid is obviously intelligent, he probably gave his real name because he's self-destructive and didn't think he'd get away with it anyway... i think he definitely has a future in fraud prevention, insurance companies will recruit these kinds of white-collar criminals right out of juvie. Kind of makes me wish I had stolen a car... same way thieves make good security system engineers. the latter case often has fun consequences ;)

paul

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Step two is where you will get stuck. I've been able to take out a Mustang myself or with a friend from the local Ford dealer without even producing any insurance documents and just leaving an ID. BUT every other dealer I've gone to including BMW own't let you take out a car without the salesman going with you. It would be a bit hard to explane at that point.
someone in our town went to test drive a new 04 acura tl and failed to yeild and got hit by a van. it was so sad i wanted to cry, seeing that beautiful car hit. im usually scared to drive a car that isnt mine, but i do it from time to time and get used to it.

iJon

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by Xapplimatic

when my dad was getting his -- the BMW dealer only came with us to show the balance systems of the car, ie high speed turns, power skids, stuff like that ... but after the demonstration he got out of the car and said ... don't be "too" long

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.