Teenage slang

Discussion in 'Community' started by K12MacTech, Jun 10, 2005.

1. K12MacTech macrumors member

Ok, I admit it. I am helplessly old and out of touch with instant/text messaging slang. But I have been informed that there were some messages sent on school computers, one of which referred to my daughter. The administrator seems to feel it is something bad, but I have no idea. I have tried using my imagination, and guessing at words for the letters, but still can only get some sense of the meaning from the context. Both the sender and receiver are 10th grade boys. The message was "she wants ur gpa in her mouth." Now boys talking about girls putting things in their mouths certainly sound like it has sexual connotations. But since I don't know what gpa stands for I don't know if it is worse than what my mind wants to guess or not. Anyone that can enlighten me?

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't know if "gpa" stands for anything - it's not Grade Point Average - or is just a euphemism used by those two boys, but I'm sure you know what they meant, and I'm sure it's what you think.

Of course, it's just an intercepted IM between two young kids, so I wouldn't get too concerned. Used to be they'd just say those things, now they IM them.

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

lol high school is hilarious... so much stupid talk happens at my school its hilarious... gpa in your mouth? hrm... never heard that one... thats effin' SICK DUDE lol... thats what i have heard... i think you got that wrong perhaps...

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Barring your being able to ask some other 10th graders to translate, is there any chance of simply asking your daughter what it means?

10th grade boys are generally pretty sophomoric (OK, the pun was intended :eek: ). Could they mean "grandpa?"

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's even worse. Thank you so much. ;)

Maybe it was just "great party appetizers", and one of the kids is an aspiring chef. Yeah, that's it.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm still trying to figure out what a "hollaback girl" is and what bananas have to do with it :p :rolleyes:

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Of course, if it really does stand for Grade Point Average, and that number is being used to refer indirectly to a measurement of another kind, you really do need to feel sorry for the kid.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Urban Dictionary defines a GPA as:

10. K12MacTech thread starter macrumors member

I thought of gpa, and I also thought perhaps it was a put down on the recipient, a way of referring to his size. Also thought it might be a typo - it sure happens often enough when my kids are IMing. The odd thing is, since I work for the school district, I get a call from the tech at the school who logged all this. He is talking in whispers, as if it is too crass to say out loud. I should have thought to let him know right then I didn't have the foggiest idea what it meant. And I may ask my daughter, but the recipient of the message was a young man she was interested in a few months ago, and as far as I know still considers a friend. I really don't want to either sound like I am attacking her friends, or give her information based on hearsay which might damage the friendship. The boys were making other youthful comments about the teacher, indicating she "got it goin on." I'm more curious than anything else.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

That doesn't make any sense in the context of the message, though :confused:

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not to promote lying to your daughter, but if you are concerned about hurting her feelings or affecting her friendship, could you couch this as something you saw in reference to a different (or unknown) student rather than saying it was about her?

13. K12MacTech thread starter macrumors member

It might make sense if it is something they have heard in a song but are using out of context. I remember (back in the day :p ) when we thought we were cool using slang we didn't understand.

14. K12MacTech thread starter macrumors member

I could, but she is pretty perceptive when I try anything like that. I am basically an honest person, and even when it is something minor and not really lying I am terrible at it, and she is especially good at picking up on it. Plus since I work in the district, she would want to know all the details of who said what, and who it was said about, and then I would be stuck. Now if she was in the class when this took place, an was part of the conversation, I would definitely talk to her about it directly.

15. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

WRT to The Learn Some British Thread I'd like to know WTF is a "hollaback girl - you can translate for us :p
    As to GPA - I've no idea of the slang but if she's the right age you shouldn't be involved anyway(metaphorically - or literally ;) )

16. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

That makes sense but it hasn't turned up in any recent song. What is 10th grade? 11 years? Ignore my previous comment if that's true :(

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

might also throw in the "safe sex" conversation.

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

it means that she'll give it up like that, umm she will have sex with a guy without any trouble

(yes im in the 10th grade, and yes im from oakland)

19. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

20. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That's the best answer so far :D

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's probably just talk as usual, and something you'd expect out of a couple of sophomore guys.

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

"She wants your guarenteed piece of a** in her mouth". Ahem. Frisky little kids... :rolleyes: ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

22. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Well.. I'm a sophomore and I really don't know. Well actually.. I may know. I'm guilty of things like that, and as long as your daughter's friend was the recipient and not the person saying those things I guess he's not to blame. Anyway, me and my moronic friends have inside jokes like that as well. IMO, it sounds like it could either be a euphamism... maybe the kid is good in school and the other kid was doing a play on words.. but still meaning that she likes him.. putting it in dirty terms. He also could be referring to size.. I figured out the G and P.. but can't think of a word for the A. I don't think that you should be alarmed by this.. as it's just talk, which I think you understand.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

IM = The (further) death of the English language.

24. roadapple macrumors regular