Teenager Repellent!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mpw, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Brixton Tube station plays classical music through their speakers inside and just outside the station to try to stop kids/ticket touts/drug pushers hanging around. Apparently, studies have show that they find classical music so uncool that they stay away...
  2. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    Push teenagers away and damage their hearing in the process!!!!!!!

Although i dont care for teeny-boppers, this just seems....silly.

Teenage repelling earmuffs.....:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:
  3. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Agreed. This article looks like something you would see on The Onion. Especially with the shop owner's testimonial.
  4. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    Hey! Nice to see that they make it in coordinating colors with your bags and scarves! How trendy! I haven't seen earmuffs quite like that before. :)

In all semi-seriousness, though, perhaps I'm misreading the article, but I find these two comments contradictory:

The shop's manager Robert Gough said: "Within days of having it fitted, the crowds of youths we were used to getting disappeared and they haven't been back since.

Councillor Barry Coppinger, the executive for law and order for Middlesbrough Council, said: "We had seen some research and it seemed to be worth a try.

"We have a problem with anti-social behaviour and so we thought we would acquire one unit to divert people from anti-social behaviour.... "

Isn't that causing teenagers to become anti-social by not letting them get together in public places??
  5. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W