Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
The good news is that he still has ANOTHER kidney to sell when the iPad 3 comes out!

I jest. Honestly, I don't believe the story. It has Urban-Legend written all over it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The BBC have picked up this story too - quoting from Chinese media. Apparently he was paid $4,000, with which he bought a laptop and an iPad 2. I guess swapping a body organ for a trendy gadget is a more catchy headline than "Teen sells body organ".

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
I see in that nothing but an unbalanced youth, unable to get hold of his own wits, and some bastards who took advantage of it. These organ traffickers should be put behind bars ASAP. It astounds me that the Chinese authorities can be so repressive and at the same time let this kind of **** happen. It's not like this crime doesn't require some structure to be carried out.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
These organ traffickers should be put behind bars ASAP. It astounds me that the Chinese authorities can be so repressive and at the same time let this kind of **** happen. It's not like this crime doesn't require some structure to be carried out.

I would gladly sell me spare organs for thousands of dollars if it was legal. By the way, this kid got ripped off, $4,000 for a kidney, I would buy it from him for double that then turn around and sell it for at least $30,000.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
The kid saw a way to get quick money by selling his body. Young strippers and prostitutes do this all the time as well so it really has nothing to do with Apple products and is more about a young person making a big mistake for quick $$$

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
The kid saw a way to get quick money by selling his body. Young strippers and prostitutes do this all the time as well so it really has nothing to do with Apple products and is more about a young person making a big mistake for quick $$$

Pretty much this. I see nothing too shocking. These youngsters just don't understand the value of their bodies.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
also, there's people who're high in debt because they order consumer electronics (or pretty much anything) that they cannot actually afford. Big deal...

whether it's someone's own kidney or the non-existence of their kid's college funds.
people do stupid things

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Pretty much this. I see nothing too shocking. These youngsters just don't understand the value of their bodies.

It's no longer shocking because it's been heard of before, the shock value has gone.

How much is a body worth, an ipad? an iphone? new car? television?
Maybe 50yrs in a health and safety nightmare of a factory until it's wrecked?

Too much emphasis on 'success via materialism'.
What do you own to show that you are a successful man or woman?

Not shocking, just sad, really sad.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's sad but someone on 9to5mac argued that if he was dumb enough to do it then he's not deserving of it. Not that I agree to this viewpoint but it's an interesting way to look at it nonetheless.

What's even more sad is he only got $3400 (originally he agreed to $3200) - they gave him an extra $200..wtf

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The problem is not that the teenager decided to sell off part of his body. Teenagers (and adults) make stupid decisions all the time.

The problem is that a hospital, surgeon, transplant team, theatre staff, etc. can perform this sort of elective procedure in the first place.

If you at a government-level allow elective organ donation for cash, you can't then complain about who takes up the offer or what they spend the cash on.

(The hospital say they knew nothing about it, so either they're lying, or they have such awful administrative procedures that they don't even know what happens in their own premises -- either way it's not good).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.