Teenager's iPod goes boom

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 12, 2005.

  1. MacBytes
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2003
  2. Doctor Q
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

    Doctor Q

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #2
    Ulp! Are all of our iPods full of poison?

    What exactly do water and heat do to an iPod?
     
  3. puckhead193
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #3
    Cause it to not work...... ;)
    who leaves their ipods in their pocket, don't u check your pockets before putting it in the hamper....
     
  4. pilzbury
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2004
    Location:
    Reading, Pa
    #4
    water and heat?

    Apparently it makes them go poof! - Not sure how taking a iPod apart will help anything. I guess drying stuff out. But I think I would have called apple to see what they recommended first...course this may give them a chuckle.

    Maybe since water got inside and if it went through the dryer too. It cause steam and pressure build up and with whatever reaction it had with the battery...it just didn't make the situation pretty. Hope the mate is alright.
     
  5. swingerofbirch
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    Location:
    The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    #5
    Why was this marked as humor?

    I think it was insensitive to mark this story as humor, assuming this article is true, and it appears to be.

    I am not sure what in the iPod would explode, but it does contain toxic elements, including lead.
     
  6. mxlewis
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 12, 2005
    #6
    It helps if you just let it sit for a few days. I dropped mine in a puddle, let it sit and dry, and it was fine.
     
  7. Bunzi2k4
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    Location:
    San Diego, California
    #7
    I would never let my ipod go through the wash. unfortunantly, I can't say the same about my cell phone... ;_;
     
  8. cooknwitha
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

    cooknwitha

    Joined:
    May 5, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #8
    It makes me proud to be an Australian knowing there are kids that stupid growing up around me.
     
  9. J-Squire
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2003
    Location:
    Australia
    #9
    Haha, sorry. I submitted this story and marked it as humour. It seemed like such a weird thing to not find slightly amusing. Especially the response of the medical team who said that they made sure the kid was ok, and then swooped out to continue saving the rest of the city.
     
  10. Sol
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

    Sol

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2003
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    Humour. Try it some time.

    Get a sense of humour. No-one is dead so why not have a laugh? I am sure the kid is laughing about it too.

    It is only a matter of time before C/Net blows this out of proportion and reports it as a fault with all iPods.
     
  11. solvs
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

    solvs

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    LaLaLand, CA
    #11
    I've dropped my cell phone in the toilet, but my iPod would never go through the wash. I get pissed when I leave my tissues in my pocket and they get washed, I couldn't imagine this. And then to have it explode.

    I wonder if his Mom will buy him a new one. Somehow, I doubt the Rio would do much better.
     
  12. 840quadra
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator

    840quadra

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2005
    Location:
    Chanhassen, Minnesota
    #12
    it is entirely possible that the kid got his screwdriver to pry open the battery, causing a spark that ignited the acid inside the battery.

    I am glad he is ok, but I still find this funny!
     
  13. Lacero
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
  14. Peterkro
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

    Peterkro

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2004
    Location:
    Communard de Londres
    #14
    I dropped my iPod in the toilet(discrete veil over details)just cleaned(gingerly) and turned on immediately,no problems(drink had been taken).
    :)
     
  15. Lacero
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #15
    Great, you can forget about carrying your beloved iPod on trains, planes and subways now. The Federal government will put it on the list of banned products, that include nail clippers, matchbooks and C4 explosives.
     
  16. atszyman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

    atszyman

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Location:
    The Dallas 'burbs
    #16
    By chance to you read Slashdot alot, Lacero?
     
  17. narco
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

    narco

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2003
    Location:
    California.
    #17
    I guess the lithium battery plus water makes stuff explode.
    Great idea to mark this as humor, just wish the kid got messed up a little more for being such an idiot.

    Fishes,
    narco.
     
  18. Lacero
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #18
    [​IMG] He's a good nominee for the Darwin award.
     
  19. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #19

    :D But don't you have to die?

    Have to admit, it's kinda embarrassing. It's one of those tales I'd usually just ponderously quip "ahh, only in America..." :eek:
     
  20. James Philp
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

    James Philp

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2005
    Location:
    Oxford/London
    #20
    That fire guy had the same name as me!
    Wonder how many Philps there are in the world!
    What an idiot, and what a crap mum! What mum doesn't check the pockets before putting summit in the wash!?

    I like the toilet story - have done similar things with wallets and phones. Worst thing is, most of the time I was using the toilet in question (eugh)
    Drink is a (wonderful) terrible thing!
     
  21. James Philp
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

    James Philp

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2005
    Location:
    Oxford/London
    #21
    Here's what apple has to say:
    Environmental requirements:
    Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
    Non operating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

    I'm guessing even a 40º wash would completely kill it. Add in water, soapy suds and being tumbled for 40 minutes and you've got the ideal environment to kill any electronic device! Notice noncondensing - i'm guessing that water was never vapor in the first place!
     
  22. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #22

    And on Friday the 13th!


    ;)
     
  23. Mr.Hey
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    Mr.Hey

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #23

    "It was more smoke than fire but it did leave a burn mark on the cover."

    Explosion!!! FIRE!!!! DEATH AND DISTRUCTION!!!!!!!!

    It's filled with poison... run for the hills everyone!!!.
     
  24. Mr.Hey
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    Mr.Hey

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #24

    Uh because it blew up in his face? :D
     
  25. bentley
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    #25
    my Rio 300 (remember them?) went through the wash and survived. I kid thee not.
     

Share This Page