Teens, Young Adults Have More Than Their Share Of STDs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Feb 26, 2004.

1. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that while people ages 15 to 24 make up just one-fourth of the sexually active population, they accounted for nearly half the cases of sexually transmitted diseases in 2000. Of the 18.9 million new cases overall, researchers estimated more than 9 million occurred in teens and young adults.

Three diseases -- human papillomavirus, trichomoniasis and chlamydia -- accounted for 88 percent of new cases in 15- to 24-year-olds.

2. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    umm, duh.

15-24 is also the age people are most sexually active, so this really does stand to reason. in general, i'd say that number is pretty good, considering how slutty generation-y is... no offense, i'm in it...

3. macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    I agree, not that surprising. I'm still not entirely sure why, though -- has teen behavior really changed as of late or are there simply more diseases out there for late teens to contract? I mean, out parents were all teenagers once, too, and I don't buy that they were all "pure" and we're all having more sex than human history has ever seen.

I suppose people are certainly getting married at an older age than, say, my parents' generation (I'm only 23 and only sort of considering marrying someone I've dated for 4 years, but I'd be considered pretty old to get married only a few decades ago). So there's more time now to spread things around before settling down with someone?

In any case, doesn't bode too well for the future, but then again I suppose a massive population-slashing epidemic of some kind (like AIDS but more easily communicable?) is an inevitability as long as world population grows. :/ Sad, yes, but probably true (as my immunology-professor aunt will attest).