Teeny-Tiny Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mechcozmo, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The short story is, I need a small monitor so I can stick a Mini in a Mac 512K case. Preferably touchscreen, but it doesn't have to be. At this point, anything roughly 7.5" wide and around 6" tall will do. (The case is 9.5" deep, so there ought to be plenty of room there.)

Anyone know of anything that might work? I was thinking about a car-style display, but know nothing about them. Thanks in advance.

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

We're talking about standard LCDs for displaying the OS X desktop, right? If you're looking for a consumer-electronics style LCD (as for a secondary display), those are easy to come by but you may have a bit of a headache getting them to work with Macs.

It sounds like all you need is a ~10" LCD. You can Google for models, but if you want touchscreen capability, you'll probably need a USB-Serial adapter, because most touchscreens for home use have DB9 connectors. Resolution will also be a problem, as most of the reasonably-priced small displays are going to have resolutions not more than 1024x768.

What kind of budget did you have in mind? In all likelihood, you might look for a small LCD TV, ensuring a VGA connector (or DVI if you're lucky).

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

There are quite a few with USB connections on eBay now, and they just need a generic touchscreen driver. These can be fished off the web without much trouble. :)

4. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Not sure you'll find the right model you need here, but it's a good start: mp3car.com.

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

One problem you'll have with any car-based products is that they are wired for automotive power (+12V DC), so you'll have to rig up a converter, especially if you're leaving the mini intact for the installation. Also, they rarely have physical power buttons, so you'll have to wire in a switch.

But again, you'll have trouble with resolutions. Lots of car displays these days are widescreen 800x480 displays, which would be almost worthless for using a computer.

With a better (post-tea ;)) look at the math, you're looking for a 9" LCD (4:3, naturally, given the constraints of the case). An 8" LCD might fit as well, but could require a bit of creative bezel work.

6. MattyP macrumors member

MattyP

512, you mean like 4:20 or, no.... anyway

The 512 Mac Preservation Forum has an article on someone who did this with a G4 Mini... Check it out:
    http://www.mac512.com/ccpmg4.htm

7. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yeah, standard LCD for OS X. I hadn't thought about the TV route... it is worth a shot. So are the car models, but those might require a bit more work. (I'd like this to be in the kitchen for recepies and web browsing and stuff)

Thanks, but no thanks. That's a Color Classic, which is a larger case. The 512K Mac that I'm using is physically 9.5" wide...

(Sorry for reviving an old thread, my real life has been full from wake to sleep plus being sick. Meh. :rolleyes: )