Teeth to be seized by US Gov't

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by crazytom, Apr 9, 2006.

1. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I can't believe this: story.

What the heck is this country coming to? Think it won't affect you? Better think again, anything could happen: I know a woman that had her house seized because it was SUSPECTED that her son was growing marijuana. It was a $280,000 house that was taken the day she was signing the papers to sell it.

The kicker is: after they seized the house, the roof sprung a leak. The Feds wanted her to pay for the repair! :eek:

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

At least include the fact that they gave up the seizure.

3. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

why does the goverment care so much about people doing drugs? I mean it doesnt seem to affect them.
    but thats a crazy story haha i wonder what they'll do next.

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The next Oliver Stone film I am sure..

To call drugs a victimless crime is pretty ignorant... Mods, this thread belongs in the Politics Forum, not the Community Forum.

Ed

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Much ado about nothing, and the guy who made the Nazi comment should be smacked 'cause the situations are completely different.

Lethal

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

How pointless? Why are they being confiscated? If there's a good reason, then there's a good reason, but I can't think of any on my own.

e

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Some of these gold teeth coverings are cosmetic only. The article explains that these two guys' teeth coverings weren't cosmetic so they wouldn't be able to remove them. I don't think there's a big issue here, it's just been overplayed by the media.

8. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

The big issue here is that they wanted to take this guys teeth: He wasn't found guilty of his drug charges at that point. The point is that seizure laws have gone WAY too far. Cops can seize whatever they want for just about any damn reason. I've heard many, many stories of the government seizing personal property BEFORE a person is found guilty of a crime (typically, all in the name of the war on drugs). Once the property is seized, the person has a long, expensive legal battle to get their stuff back.

Guilty until proven innocent. That is the point here. That is the problem. This is not what America is based on, but I'm stunned by how many people think that this kind of stuff is OK.

9. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Brenda Grantland says it best.

From the head honcho at http://www.fear.org

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The police state marches on everyday removing every safeguard our forfathers put into place, Remember they just tried to make 10-20 million illegal mexicans felons and anyone who helped them a felon also. Hail to the police state. 1984 is almost here. Our forfathers fought world wars so we could be just like them? We are looking for ways to grow the police state everyday,anyone heard of the UnPatriotAct. With every law and there is thousands a little more freedom is taken it wont be long and the U.S. will be perfect for some tyrant. Look at what Bush has done with only 51% of the vote.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No, Capt. Mellodrama, they didn't want their teeth. They wanted the bling bling on their teeth. There is a difference. For example, there is a difference between taking a ring off someone's finger and cutting someone's finger off.

And once the cops were informed that the grill was of the permeant type and not of the removable type they called the seizure off. Does it really take a rocket scientist to figure out why the cops would go to a dentist if they wanted a dental appliance removed? What do you think the headlines would read if a cop removed the appliance and damaged/broke it and/or injured the defendant (chip his tooth or something)?

Lastly, I'm sure you are able to voice your disagreement w/the current state of seizure laws in the US w/o the FUD. So more facts and less gratuitous drama if you don't mind.

Lethal

12. mpw Guest

I don't know for sure but I'd guess that when jailed, either awaiting trial or after conviction, it would be standard practice to remove all jewellery. I know that in the UK if you get thrown in a police cell they take all your jewellery/belts/shoelaces etc.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

anyone else think that, while in jail, some kind inmate is going to remove the grills anyway?

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Bravo. I should know, my uncle is an addict and it affects my entire family... and the Govt. which spends tax dollars taking care of him.

Yep.
    That comment reminded me of the comparison of the mexico border wall to the berlin wall. It defies logic.

If you hate the Government, leave. Its too bad people focus on all the bad and forget about all the good the U.S. Govt. has done and continues to do. Once again, I should know. Just look at my location sig.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's a very good point and why inmates aren't allowed to wear jewelry.

Since this guy's bling is permanently bonded, I wonder what the chances are of the state having to pick up the bill for emergency dental work if they are removed by a fellow prisoner?

16. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Don't you mean: If you hate the Government, vote?

or

If you hate the Government, write your representative?

or
    If you hate the Government, start a discussion about the issues that bother you?

Personally, I think grillz are stupid and look like ****. I also don't care for the War on Drugs; I think it's a war on our own citizens trying to protect them from themselves. I condone drug usage, if that's your thing, who am I to FORCE you to stop? I would much prefer to provide HELP if you have a problem...

The woman I talked about earlier, who, btw, was NOT charged with a crime, lost her house because of something her adult son did, and no proof that he was doing anything illegal at her house. Her son is currently paying his debt to society (he was caught in another state transporting); why does she have to suffer a $280,000 loss? She was presumed guilty and punished, but not charged with anything.

I think property seizure can be an effective deterrent to crime, but, geez, at least find someone guilty of something BEFORE taking the property.

17. mpw Guest

Do you also condone speeding and drink driving?

I'd like more info. on why the property was seized, I don't think you given the full story there, like how you cherry-picked the original report. Did the son buy the house with proceeds of crime or something? I don't see how property can be seized which isn't connected to the crime/criminal.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Geez, he already said he condones drug-taking...

19. mpw Guest

You expect me to read coherently while I'm wasted? AAAAAAHHHH speaking frog!
    *hides in cupboard*
    **gets munchies**
    ***wonders what fog tastes of***
    ****starts giggling****
    *****pukes******
    ******ooo pretty colours******

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

some states have laws which allow for property seizure if there's dealing activity. it has the unfortunate side-effect of punishing parents who had no idea what their kids were doing in the house.

i'm sure someone will debate the "unfortunate" part.

21. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Wait, are there people in here defending the government's right to seize dental work? Because that's the vibe that I'm getting.

"Well, they didn't know it was permanently attached..." So!!?? They were trying to seize the gold from his frickin' teeth, man! How much more draconian/ghoulish can you get?

I'm sorry, I see this as a problem. The "drug warriors" have gotten out of hand.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think the issue is: what's dental work?

as a kid, i had a set of those glow-in-the-dark vampire fangs that fit over my front teeth. clearly, not dental work. i also have some gold crowns fitted in my mouth. clearly, that's dental work.

but for clip-on-teeth jewelry, is that dental work? is it fair to draw a line between clip-on and bonded on?

23. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Everything has it's limits, doesn't it? There's a level of intoxication that you CAN drive at and there's a certain amount over the speed limit that you CAN go without getting a ticket, too.

Here's the link to the house seizure.

Before anyone gets to it: yes, he was busted. He's serving his penalty. There was no evidence that the house was used for growing. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. You need proof of a crime to be punished for a crime.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Without seeing the full court transcripts, it's impossible to make a judgement call. If his mother was helping him with the growing operation, then that makes her guilty as well. Not as cut and dried as you had implied.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How much more draconian/ghoulish can you get? Geez, hyperbole much? I can think of a lot more things worse than having a gold plated retainer taken away.

I'm sure they sized their other jewelry too (rings, watches, necklaces, etc.,). Why aren't you pitching a fit about that? Because saying "the Feds took my watch" isn't as sensationalistic as saying "the Feds wanted to take my teeth."

Lethal