Teeth whitening systems

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Apr 6, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

What is the best teeth whitening system, as in Cres whitestrips,
    etc, etc, etc. I get my braces off on the 14th and I want white
    teeth....... quickly. I know, I know - brushing your teeth is the
    healthy, natural solution, but I don't need that answer. What
    is the best unnatural teeth whitening system. ;)

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

talk to your dentist they usually have a reccomendation or favorite system they use. I personallyh ad the custom tray made and they use this paste stuff that works kidna quickly but it sort os sucks. Your other option is Brite Smile which is a UV lighht they put on your teeth for a while. Its more expensive but its one time and it works well. I don't know what your budget is but those are btoh options me and my friends have used from our dentists. then again my uncle is my dentist so most of the stuff was comped.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well i used Crest Whitestrips two years ago June, and last night someone complimented me on my "perfect, white teeth"... i must say i was surprised, i guess i stopped noticing a long time ago. The whiteness is only supposed to last 6 months...

pnw

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Teeth whitening systems

If you are really serious about it, forget any of the white strips or colgate gel. The concentration of active ingrediant in those things is very small. If you look on ebay you can get tooth whitening kits with 16% or higher carbide peroxide (or whatever its called) that will do a much, much better job. They aren't as convienent, but they are much better.

If you really wanted to drop some dollars on this, you could have your dentist do a pro job on it, which will get them instantly whiter than anything you could do yourself, but it will cost a lot of cash.

5. dricci macrumors 6502a

I've heard good things about Crest Whitestrips. Haven't tried them myself yet.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Here's some advice from a person who got his braces off last year (me):

1. The day after you get them off, go to the dentist and have your teeth cleaned.
    2. Brush with toothpaste that contains whitening material.
    3. Use Crest White Strips.

I was surprised how clean my teeth were once my braces were removed. And, surprisingly, removing them isn't very painful.

Congratulations on breaking free from being a metal mouth!

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Re: Teeth whitening systems

yeah, and it's really fun when the enamel off of your teeth dissolves in the peroxide-- it's a very low concentration because it's not safe to use higher, outside of a dentists office. Whitestrips are about the harshest thing I'd use besides going to a dentist-- they have things that do work better, but require strict attention and careful planning of your teeth condition.

pnw

8. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

thanks! I think I will get my whitening gel stuff from eBay.

9. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I've used the Crest Whitening strips. I must say that they did work but eventually I could feel pain in my gums a couple weeks into it. The pain was unbearable and I eventually just stopped using them....I guess if you want perfect white teeth you might have to go through some pain.

They did work, though. Hopefully your gums aren't as sensitive as mine.

good luck and congrats on getting the braces off

10. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Tip-Ex Correction fluid.

Tastes like crap but it makes 'em all white and shiney, the added bonus is that you can write on you're teeth if you grin infront of a mirror. :D

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations scem0 on finishing up your course of orthodontia. I also had braces when I was in Junior High to High School, it was a 3 year course. The last year was a retainer. They ahve really made great improvements since the 1960's. No color braces! :p

I would strongly reccomend getting the advice of your dentist. Do you have a dental school in your are? They might have an ongoing teeth whitening study. I was going to try that a few years back. Prior dental work prevents me having it done.

12. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Re: Re: Teeth whitening systems

Thats a load of crap. If you follow directions you won't have any problems, The stuff isn't that harsh. igea sells 16% solutions quite readily, its just cheaper on ebay. Whats a dentist gonna do beside put them in there and charge you a few hundred bucks for it. unless you are getting the ones a dentist really has to be there for (like the ones that use ultraviolet interaction) there's no harm in using a relatively higher concentration by yourself. I read an article in the local paper covering this, and they basically said anything LESS than 16% is a waste of time and money. After researching it some more, I tend to agree with them. thats my 2 cents

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

One thing I shuold mention abuot ebay, they always overestimate how far a syringe of the whitening agent will go. I think that one says you can get 24 treatments from 2 syringes or something like that. Its not even close to that. Its still cheaper than white strips, and more effective too.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my sister, the dentist...

...recommends trays be made. that way the gel will be delivered to the enamel only, and not the gums (which is when it gets painful).

also, the trays keep the gel against your teeth, unlike some OTS products that can be moved around.

whitening won't last forever; the gel must be applied periodically. smoking, drinking dark beverages like tea and colas, lazy brushing will get your teeth (re)stained sooner.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

i tried crest whitestrips for like one week about a couple of weeks after i got my braces off and they're pretty good...
    but i drink too much coffee :rolleyes:

16. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

something from starbucks or coffee bean...
    or maybe like an entire pot of coffee...

18. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

coffee sucks, but coffee drinks are great. I am at Starbucks
    frequently. How can one resist the mighty caramel frapp? ;)

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

CARAMEL?!!! eew
    i like mocha
    or if i'm not in the mood for coffee then a chocolate ice blended from coffee bean

20. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

god, nobody likes caramel...... It is sooooo good!

Chocolate in large quantities, or if it is extemely rich, is gross. :D

21. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

scem0

This whitening stuff looks cool. I think I will get some if you tell us how it works.

And yes, Caramel Frapps are the best, I love em.

22. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, scem0 Starbucks is a great place. Have their coffee every morning. This past Sunday I had a Mocha Frappachino, very refreshing! ;)