Tekken(PSP reviewed)....2D fighting games please come back!

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Jul 20, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

http://psp.ign.com/articles/719/719836p1.html

Sounds like a winner here....might need to check this out along with loco rocco and silent hill:0rigins

I love tekken games.....wish they would bring back 2D fighting like MK and super street fighter turbo.

Bless

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They are back! Smash Bros and Soul Calibre are 2D plane based.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What has Loco Rocco still not been released over there yet? I'm on my second replay through it to try and beat my scores/grades :p

Strange that such a japanese game would be released in Europe first....

Yeah that video reveiw really does make Tekken look sweet, only wory and they mention it is the psp's refresh rate. Those blacks ghosting all over the place doesnt sound too good, i know its a psp problem not the game but it could still ruin my enjoyment.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

please don't say they are makeing a soul caliber DS game, please please please.

if so i'd be force to buy two copied with the DS, one to hug at night and one to play.

5. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Oh gosh no they havent released Loco Rocco in the states yet:mad: ....still waiting but looks like Tekken will make my wait more enjoyable.

For some reason SC could never hold my interest.....maybe its the sword play with no damage to limbs that wear the game thin for me.

Bless

6. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i might need to pick that up when its released, i remember playing tekken way back when on the ps1. too bad theres no infrastructure mode, but the ghost feature sounds pretty cool.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You're confusing cool with interesting. I think the world wanted a real online mode, but instead we're given this. Which sounds to me like it would have spent a long time in development too, whereas basic online play would have been easy to implement. I'd love to know why they didn't include it.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

What? You can move around in three-dimensions in Soul Calibur. If it wasn't vertical attacks would never miss!

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're absolutely correct.

Soul Edge, Soul Calibur I, II, and III are all 3D.

Soul Calibur. The reason I bought a Dreamcast.

10. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I pulled out the old SNES last night and played fighters history....those were the days.

Hopefully I can find a copy of tekken: DR and jam until tonight.

Bless

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm running off a bit of what I played on the DC years back, but I'm sure that when on the ground players faced each other. or can you shunt around as an opponent is in the air?
    still. Smash Bros is a 2D fighter! ;) Viewtiful Joe has a 2D fighting game too.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Players face each other but if you move to the side of a vertical attack it will fail. As for Smash Bros, I think the term 2.5D is more suited to it.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just like Tekken, but they have the sideways dodging. 2.7D?

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Maybe they'll do a 4D fighter when you get stabbed, burned and punched like in the game. Sounds fun :D

15. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Has anyone tried Bleach for the DS? If Nintendo doesn't release a SSB for the DS sometime in the next year I might want to import it. It supposedly has online play. Sadly, this is an area that the PSP excels at over the DS. Really the best option is to get Super Street Fighter 2 for GBA currently if you have a DS IMO..

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I reckon Street Fighter Alpha 3 for GBA is the best 2D fighter for the DS. excellent game.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's an amazing conversion period. Shame the studio that did it went backrupt a few weeks after it was released.

Though I dont like playing GBA games on my DS. Hate the border all the way around the screen, you'd think they would have stretched it to fill the entire screen. You end up with a smaller screen than in a GBA.

18. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree Alpha is a great port but so is SF2. I guess the nostalgia is what makes me like SF2 a little better. Too bad neither of these have an online play mode...

19. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea thats the one thing that gets to me when I play GBA games on the DS.....makes it seem much smaller and i'm wearing glasses now..I never played SF on the GBA but it sound like fun...maybe I should check it out.

Bless