Telephone Companies -are they all really bad!

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Sep 30, 2004.

1. indifference macrumors regular

I have delt with Telephone companies on the east and west coast. The worst one has been Qwest but I hear Veriozon is bad for ground service. What are your experiences with them? Qwest missunderstimated my bill twice by $40 this summer. That's just part of it.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

To me the worst part about phone companies is trying to figure out which service to buy. Their web sites are all so complicated, and I don't understand what half the "features" are. For example, Bellsouth advertises $29 DSL, but only if you subscribe to a certain kind of phone service. I'm not sure if I need everything in that service plan, and I'm not sure what extra taxes, etc. will be added, so there's no way to compare it to my existing service.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Has anyone moved on the VoIP services like CallVantage from AT&T or Vonage? I like the fact that they are (1) cheaper and (2) consolidate local and long distance in one "carrier", but then there's the issue of network down, phone down. Also, you need a battery backup on your cable modem so that if power is out you still have phone (cellular notwithstanding).

I'd be interested in anyone's positive or negative experiences.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm using BellSouth's DSL Ultra service and it's $49.99 + the federal fee to share lines (which they used to pay on their own--they're not sharing, what does it matter?) but I'm now getting a $7 discount, for some reason. They even sent me an e-mail 3 weeks after I noticed it. :D

Verizon used to be excellent for land lines in Philadelphia, when it was BellAtlantic. After they bought Nynex, someone thought it was a good idea to move it from Philly to NYC and the whole business has gone downhill since then.

5. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

I heard some good things about Vonage, they are indeed cheaper, but the thing I heard is since they do internet and phone together you have no way to get help when it goes down unless you have a cell or other friends near by. They said it offers an all in one package and that people like that so they don't have to work with several businesses. I found that when you find a company you like it is best to stick with them.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Do you know if you can split the incoming phone line as you would a standard one? That is, do you need a special phone to hook to the line, or is it just a standard RJ-11 coming out of the converter box that you can do what you want with? I've got Cat-5 to all of my phones, so it would be a fairly easy conversion to RJ-45 jacks if necessary, I just don't know how it all fits together with these systems.

7. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

as much as I hate to say this, I would check with Radioshack, they would know this, I really don;t konw much. If you know the phone company you want to work with try talking to them

8. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Well, for the landline phones, in Australia, Optus and Telstra are major pain in the ass's. I am with Optus and Telstra, and about two weeks ago, the phone fell off the wall, and pulled all the connectors out with it. Meaning we have no phone (even though we have 2 lines). I called Optus on my mobile, and because the Phones are in my Wife's name, they refuse to talk to me. I have to wait until she comes home, and then get her to call the telco. We are given the talk about $99 to come out and fix the phone, and are given times, 730-1230 in the day. I call in sick from work, to wait home for the telco, and at 1225, they show up, and take one look at the wiring, and say, nope, no charge, the illegal immigrant that did the wiring did it wrong, and they would have to do it for no charge. That is all well and good, but, because my second line is Telstra they blatantly refuse to fix that line. I then have to call Telstra, but with these people, they are at-least punctual, and show up within the half hour and fix the line for a fee of $150, but if they are going to come on-time, i am happy to pay.

For Mobile (cellular), however, there are 3 main players, Telstra and Optus again, and Vodafone. I am with Vodafone, and my Wife is with Telstra, but Vodafone, however, there are problems with coverage. I cannot get get coverage in my Study, not that I work in there often, but if there is a crisis at work and I am at home, i need to be dialed on to the network to help the techies at work to fix the computer system (damned YDL). With Telstra, there is no problems with coverage, but the Indians that run the call centers are unbearable to say the least. We were driving down to the snow, in June, and just after we swap drivers, the call centre calls us up and ask if we want to upgrade to a newer phone (my wife and I have the same phones for the sake of car connectors) for less. We let them talk on for a while, and while trying to keep our sanity, with the indian accent, we say no, and try to hang up. 10 minutes later somebody else contacts us, again from Telstra and ask the same questions.

In the words of Kath from Kath and Kim, 'Bloody Telstra'

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I find it funny when Australians say that Telstra is evil. Telstra operates in NZ too, and over here they're the 'good guys' :eek:

The evil monopoly over here is Telecom, who operates in Australia as AAPT, and they are apparently quite good over there. It's an interesting concept :rolleyes:

10. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

AAPT have a good standing over here with the Mac users, as they always feature a 'Flat Panel iMac in their commercials on TV, and they also offer full Mac support, which Optus don't, and which Telstra are soon. Telstra is evil, and with their Indian Call centre operators, it is going to get worse! :eek:

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

We have NTL or otherwise known as NTHell who are complete morons... I ring up because my Cable Internet has gone down.. and all they do is run you through the things a 2 year old would try first.... i.e. restarting modem, restarting pc and then after that (any many annoying minutes listening to dodgy music) tell you oh its down in your area and they don't know when it's back up...

We are with British Telecom (BT) for our landline and they are fantastic their service is very reliable and some of the features of the line are quite cool like Text Messaging to the home phone where the operator reads it out (computerised).

Until very recently I couldn't get BT ADSL services because we are too far from the exchange but BT have just fixed that and i can get 1mb now at my house yey!!!

I'm also with Vodafone for my mobile phone and can't be happier with them.

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

i just got vonage a couple of weeks ago, and am extremely happy. i've never recommended a telco to anyone until now. i went down to best buy, bought the linksys pap2 adapter for $60, and got a $40 mail in rebate when i checked out! awesome!

went home, signed up at vonage, plugged in the new gear, plugged my old panasonic phone into the adapter, turned it all on, bingo! dial tone! amazing, all in less than an hour (including going to the store!)

when you're used to dealing with verizon in nyc and it takes over a week of aggravation to get a phone line, only to run the risk of it being hooked up wrong, AND to pay the earth for the damn thing, i'd highly recommend vonage. you also get to choose your area code, can be anywhere in the country too! except nyc 212 as they're all taken.

i have the $15 a month service. $15 ! it's costs you that just to get extra features like call waiting and caller id with verizon, and i now have all the features, half of which i have nooo idea what they do or ho to use them. oh, and calls to england (which i need for family) are only 3c/min.

as for other telcos, they all suck, everywhere. i've dealt with most, and have very rarely been satisfied with any service i've received

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

Thanks for sharing! I was looking at this as well, and it seems like quite a good deal. I may just have to go check it out this weekend and get hooked up. I appreciate the information.