television on G5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ahmadof, Oct 5, 2003.

1. ahmadof macrumors member

just got my dual2 G5. very happy. i was wanted to use it like ativo type device. how can this be done? i have a cable modem. has anyone figured out a way to decode the television signal coming in through the modem? or is that just silly. if that can't be done, i gues i have to buy aconverter? any advice would be apprecaited. also, if there is a better place to post this, please let me know.

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Through the modem? unless things have changed since i last tried it wasn't possible

my solution was spliting the cable running into the modem and have to also run into a installed TV tuner card.

I could be very wrong though...

3. Macpoops macrumors 6502

if i understand correctly. There are actually 2 different sets of cable transmission. Both use coax. but The one going to your modem doesn't carry any television on it. and the one going to the TV doesn't have any data in it. I am probably wrong or have something slightly wrong in there. I know what i said is close

4. ahmadof thread starter macrumors member

i don't pretend to know how it really works, but i do know that there is no filter between the wall and either my modem or my television. there is just a splitter. i could (and have) switch the cables around and everything still works. given that fact, i'm pretty sure the same data is going everywhere. the filtration must happen in the cable box and the modem. once again, i have no idea how these things work so..

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

ahmadof

i've tried the same thing as you

and i'm positive your right

it depends on your cable provider to send you the services

if you don't have a service, the cable modem won't allow you access to the internet.

besides it's not like the Coax is connected to your computer directly

Coax - modem - ethernet - computer

so to get TV on your computer you'll need like mentioned earlier a TV tuner card installed.... or i beleive there are Firewire/USB boxes that do this aswell
    http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/index.html or other devices like this are out there...

coax - box - usb - computer
    no other way i know of