Telewest strike back, 10mb cable internet!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Aug 11, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

NTL are doing it, and now so are Telewest Blueyonder! Also dropping the price of the top service (currently 4MB for £50) to 10MB for £35 :D :cool:

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Not really striking back when they'll most likely be part of the same company by the time either of them actually releases these upgrades

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Good news. Always thought £50 was way too much. Glad I stuck with the 2mb for £35. Theres always a chance it won't see the light on day on their timescale but I've never had any problems with Blueyonder even in the pre-broadband days. Just need a faster mac to run all that web content. :(

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah yeah :eek: "strike back" just sounded good ;) :D

5. mpw Guest

Makes the maximum available here seem expensive. The local telecom provider has a monopoly :mad:
    2mb @ £85/month

6. garybUK Guest

garybUK

WOW that's pretty expensive!

7. mpw Guest

You're telling me!

I make do with the standard 512kb @ £25 and have to pay another £15/month for the line rental. Because I use a Mac I also don't have a hope in hell of any support, luckily the windows only driver software wasn't needed I just plugged in the Mac and it worked. Oh I nearly forgot the £50 connection fee and £50 USB modem.

EDIT: I've spoken to a friend who works for the TelCo and he's confirmed they're not even looking at increasing speeds anytime in the foreseeable future.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Funny, I just went to my ISP to remind myself how much I was paying, and I realised the price has halved since I signed up (just 4 months ago!). So I'm stuck paying 85 euro a month for a 1MBit (symmetric) connection, whereas if I signed up today, I'd get a 3Mbit connection for the same price.

It really annoys me when service providers give such benefits to new users but pass nothing onto their existing customers.

9. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Writing headlines for a living now are we? It's people like you that propagate fear-based media :p
    Jersey's telecom company's tech support.... Isn't that just an old guy in a rocking chair next to a phone and a big machine that he routinely pokes with a broom handle...? :D

That's right everyone - Comedy Gold this evening with Hob...

Anyway, has anyone noticed that Telewest are always trailing NTL? Example:
    I guess that's why NTL are buying Telewest, eh?

Also - I'm in an NTL area... And it's a BIG NTL area... There's a billboard down the road advertising Telewest broadband...

For those of you who don't know, the cable franchise in the UK is split between the two companies. It's not like they're competing - it's either 1 or 0... You can either get one or the other... Advertising seems like such a waste of money to me - especially when it's in the WRONG AREA!!!

Anyway, that's the end of my cable-rant for the week...

10. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I think this is a widespread problem - AOL have been promising that we would be upgraded for free for the last 6 months, and I wish they'd hurry up cos sharing 256 kbps is not fun (especially when sharing with a Kazzaa addict).

Mobile phone companies are the same - you just have to threaten to leave at the end of your contract and they soon offer you a "newcomer" deal. :p

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Telewest have been really very good in this regard. I have had two free speed bumps (from 2MB to 3MB, then 3MB to 4MB) in the last ~18 months, now this HUGE speed bump (4MB to 10MB) coupled with a HUGE price drop (£50 down to £35). The connection hasn't gone down in well over a year, I couldn't ask for more.

My area also seems to always be top of the queue when they are rolling out these updates, so fingers crossed 10MB for me in a matter of weeks!!! :D

Gotta start looking for more stuff to download, oh, and need a 1TB drive ;)

13. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

WOW 10mb broadband that must be a joy to use, i have 2mb and its pretty nice, but what isnt nice is my 15gb download limit so i have to be cautious with azereus ;)

ShadoW

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

AOL can't compete especially if "Windows 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000 or XP" is a requirement for it to work :rolleyes:

Telewest have been great, but I've heard quite a few complaints of people only acheiving half the advertised speed during the day, but I guess this is what you happens with no caps (which I think is a great idea btw) :p

I've been pleased with my NTL broadband for some years now and this upgrade will only make me happier :D

15. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Damn! I have to reboot my NTL cable box once a day or so! That being said it's been better this week....

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

5 Mbps down is fast enough for me.

I want a faster upload! 400Kbps is not fun.

17. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I can't believe how far behind the US is in broadband access and speeds. I read something recently that the US was 16th for bradband access. Not to turn this in to anything political, but it seems that there could be money better spent in this nation to continue to improve the infrastructure.
    What gets me is 10mb for $35. I pay $29 for a measly 1.5mb!!!

18. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

35 pounds for 10mbps, which is $63.

It does seem strange, for a long time over here we dragged behind what was available in the states, now it seems over the past year we've notched it up a few gears and have caught up/starting to take over.

Telewest also say that should the market dictate, by 2007 they will be able to offer 50mbps :eek: :D

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

meh, 8Mbit is good enough for me, and only £20 a month.

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wow! 10mbps I can only dream of that here using my families dial-up connection which noticeably faster on the PB than on the no-longer working iMac.

Here's a list of speeds/prices that are offered in the U.S. if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

21. vixy macrumors newbie

i'm with telewest so i will be getting upgraded :D

i get upgraded to 4 mb :D £25 a month, not bad. They seem to upgrade their speeds roughly every 6 months. :)

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

My DSL provider sucks. What good is a 10mb connection when you're only allowed 10GB per month, both ways! That's my situation, but I only have 1.5mb connection. I routinely run up 100 GB per month and am always getting emails from my ISP threatening to shut down my account.

23. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Telewest have been very good these last 4 years or so, with no usage limits - I have no idea what I actually use.

24. oreomac macrumors member

Me too! Even better reason to stay with telewest after I move later in the year.

I couldn't imagine going back to an ISP that has limits.

25. angelneo macrumors 68000

My service provider is providing a free ibook + wireless mouse for their new 10mbps plan! I think I am going to sign up for that soon. It's about USD50 per month for that plan and their 25mpbs is about USD75 per month.