Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christoffee

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Hi guys

I'm on giffgaff in the UK, and speeds are pretty dire. Giffgaff uses the O2 network, but friends on O2 get much better performance in side-buy-side tests.

I read once that even though giffgaff uses the O2 network, it is the lowest priority. So giffgaff customers are throttled or queued to ensure O2 customers get the best performance.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

faded_glory

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2016
I've been on giffgaff for a while, almost a year. I know what you mean about speeds. I live in Birmingham and there are huge areas, some within half a mile of the City centre, where I can only get a 3g connection. When I researched into this I found it to be a common complaint, with the same reasons cited as you mention above. I looked at alternatives - EE is supposed to have the best and fastest coverage, but the PAYG deals are nowhere near as good, so I decided to just put up with it for the time being. My iPhone usage is pretty minimal so it's not often I need to use it for anything for which a decent connection is required.

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Hi guys

I'm on giffgaff in the UK, and speeds are pretty dire. Giffgaff uses the O2 network, but friends on O2 get much better performance in side-buy-side tests.

I read once that even though giffgaff uses the O2 network, it is the lowest priority. So giffgaff customers are throttled or queued to ensure O2 customers get the best performance.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

O2 own giffgaff but it is run as a separate company. It allows them to keep O2 as the "premium" brand and giffgaff as low cost to compete on price against other low cost options. O2 will prioritise traffic for O2 customers as those are their more profitable customers.

I get insane speeds on EE but they are often the most expensive so you get what you pay for.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
O2 prioritise like this.

O2 post pay and business
O2 pay g
Tesco post pay
Tesco pay g
Giffgaff

So you really are on the bottom of the rung. If the signal is good and you don't want to change network look at o2 themselves or tesco. I'm with tesco and get good 4G speeds and okay 3G.

Reactions: Christoffee

JayJamesWaller

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Swansea, Wales
Giffgaff is great, been with them for a few years until just recently and moved to Three where I could get the same SIM only plan but for £1 a month less and roaming data in 40 countries. Giffgaff's main appeal was always price but other networks are looking better now.

Christoffee

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Giffgaff is great, been with them for a few years until just recently and moved to Three where I could get the same SIM only plan but for £1 a month less and roaming data in 40 countries. Giffgaff's main appeal was always price but other networks are looking better now.
After this thread I started looking round today. Giffgaff is £15 for 4GB; Tesco is £12.50 for 6GB plus higher up the pecking order. Giffgaff is losing its appeal. Not the cheapest, but the worst.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
After this thread I started looking round today. Giffgaff is £15 for 4GB; Tesco is £12.50 for 6GB plus higher up the pecking order. Giffgaff is losing its appeal. Not the cheapest, but the worst.

and also slow data speeds. Get what you pay for though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.