tell me about your ipod case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brianellisrules, Jan 13, 2004.

1. brianellisrules macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a case for my ipod. I'd prefer something small/not bulky, clear perhaps... I think the DLO Jamjacket and the iskin exo2 might fit the bill? I dunno, I was checking out some stuff online and it's hard to tell if something is decent or not.

Being able to plug into the dock while wearing the case would be nice, but isn't a necessity. However, being able to hook up the cable while the case is on is a MUST. I'd also like for the screen to be protected (I'm not sure if that's standard on all cases or not).

Oh yeah, I'm also rocking the 40gb unit.

Anyone have any recommendations or warnings about which cases may or may not work?

Thanks.

2. Skilz34 macrumors member

I'm rocking the 40GB too.........I have the exo skin and it is awesome: stylish, protects well, and has a screen cover. I would scoop that exo skin 2 in a heartbeat. Hope this helps, rock on

3. JCT macrumors 6502

I bought mine from Waterfield Designs (click on iPod cases on the left) .

Stylish, very protective, mine is 14 months old and looks like it is brand new.

Great company to deal with.

JT

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have the DLO jamjacket... it's ok. because the top is pretty open, it does tend to come out a bit when you run with your ipod in your hand.

i recommend white if you are going with the DLO jamjacket. i have the "grey" but it's a lot darker than it looks on the webpage. it almost looks like "tannish grey." kind of weird.

5. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

im rocking the 3g 30 gig in a marware neoprene sport case... its a great case except for all the taking it in and out of the case the front of my ipod is all scuffy and scratchy... im quite pissed off about it actually you should get that ipod skin case...

6. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Those are all nice, but they're either rubber or looks too cheap. What is that Waterfield Design case made out of anyway? Looks like nylon, or the same material they use for Case Logic CD binders.

I've order the RadTech PodSleevz for my 10GB. Comes in 5 colors, and I got the Titanium version. Total protection instead of huge cutout like a lot of the other cheap competition.

7. brianellisrules thread starter macrumors regular

the podsleevz look aiight... but the top is wide open, right? what's to prevent it from sliding out?

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

You have to literally jam the iPod into the podsleevz... ok, maybe that's just me. But I like it that way; no chance of slip.

9. gemio17 macrumors regular

I got the Booq Pod Paq (http://www.booqbags.com/) and just got the lajo exo- both are great for what I use them for. I keep my iPod in my messenger bag while walking thru NYC and needed something to REALLY protect from bumps in the road, but was stylish as well. The Pod Paq is a bit bulky, but my 10gb 3g fits great, doesn't slide and now even with the exo skin on there, it fits inside the Booq-10gb didn't move around w/out the exo on, it stuck to the leather backing inside and would def. fit the 40gb. There is a removable top flap w/ earphone/remote (the remote plug fits better thru the hole with the flap down than the earphones plug alone) hole in the top-as well as a removable belt clip. The exo- it rocks- I'm so happy with mine. I got it in La Rouge and it adds such great color to the iPod, I wasn't sure if I would like such a bold color, but it adds such hotness to iPod that I'm sorry I didn't get it sooner....

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i had bought a case fro my pod. i used it for a month or so, and i realized that it was in the way, and detracted from the great looks of myPod. i ended up not using it anymore.

this is a device with a limited lifespan, a scratch or two will not ruin her. i don't mind the few minor abrasions on her in the least bit. it shows charactor.

besides, why make your iPod BIGGER? Isn't the idea to have it small?

11. evil macrumors 6502

i bought one of those rubber iskin things. mainly to make the thing a bit more grippable--so i dont drop it.

for protection its ok. it leaves the screen open. my screen is all scratched to hell/

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

for 10 GB, it seems to be good because this case won't work with the dock... otherwise...

"rubber" skin cases hardly every slip for everyday use. the case sticks pretty well to the ipod, actually. it's only a slight shift when you do running/jogging...

13. Icekey macrumors member

I have the following to protect my 20 gig iPod
    Asphalt exo
    Aqua Pearl exo
    Electra exo

XSKN (not the iskin one, but the one from xskn.com or lajo.biz)
    exo2 Ice

These are great products I must say. I prefer the one that Lajo makes over iskin ones.

14. brianellisrules thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I checked out some of Lajo's skins... they seem pretty nice and are definitely in the running. I think the exo2 has been discontinued in favor of the just released exo3's... no pics available yet though, unfortunately (as of yesterday, I haven't checked back today). The buzz around the forums is that the new exo3's will have a .7mm thick skin... seems to be just what I'm looking for.

Can you post any pics of your ipods with your skins on them?

Thanks.

15. brianellisrules thread starter macrumors regular

I think with the purpose of the skins, the ipod won't become all that much 'bigger'. Plus, my main reason is that I hooked it up to my car stereo and I plan to just stash it in one of the plastic 'cubbies' while driving. the plastic cover will not only protect it from scratches, but also prevent it from sliding around as well. plus, I can just toss it in my pocket when it comes time to go, rather than worrying about what's in there that might scratch/gouge it, etc.

16. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    well, keep in mine, and rubberized cover will make it difficult to put you iPod in, and take it out of your pockets. This was a large reason for me stopping using my iSkin.

17. brianellisrules thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, good point. someone on another board was telling me that he went into his local applestore (which is somewhat close to me too) and the people there let him try out various cases before buying one. I think I might do that.

18. gemio17 macrumors regular

I went out and got pda screen protectors, cut them to size and presto! instant screen protection, no scratches

19. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Or you can just get a case w/ window. Lasts way longer than the PDA screen protectors. And you don't have to cut it to bits and pieces.

20. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I have one of these but it is a dust magnet. I also have a podsleev from radtech.us as well as one or two others. I prefer the podsleev.

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I completely agree. I got so frustrated with this fact that I took some of my palm screen covers and custom-fitted them to my iPod. It wont help with dropping the thing, but the iPod is in GREAT condition under the covers. Did take a long time to cut them correctly, though.

Unlike the above poster, I covered the back and front of the iPod with covers, not just the screen.

22. cohenpeart macrumors newbie

I still can't find a single reason not to use the black case with belt clip that came with my 30-gig iPod. The clip is very strong, and I trust the case to protect my iPod at all times. It's very sturdy, and I didn't have to shell out any extra money for it. And when I wanna put my iPod in the dock, I just pull it out of the case. To each his own, I guess, but this really seems to work for me.

23. brianellisrules thread starter macrumors regular

Right, I'd just like to have a cover that's on at all times that allows me 1) access to the dock connector and 2) access to the buttons/screen.... this is mainly so I can use it while driving.

24. esra macrumors newbie

I don't have any skins yet.... but the black case that came with my 20gb is good for impact protection. However, I carry it around in my school bag, where pens, pencils, paperclips and food crumbs (gross, I know) tend to get into it. I think that you should definitly get a skin and, if it has a cut out window (the XSkn, iSkin, etc) get a screen protector- because nothing is more irritating then a scrated screen. I have 1 scratch on mine and when its turned the right way in the light, it leaves a dark shadow (small, unnoticable) on the display.

25. Richter macrumors member

iskins are a tight fit, a but hard to get on but easily to take out

problem with them is that they like to attract dust & poket fuzz :-/