tell me this is not real

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bearbo, Dec 22, 2006.

1. bartelby macrumors Core

Joined ebay yesterday...
    Hugely expensive item going cheap...

Scam.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think anyone who buys a "PowerMac" with dual Xeons and 2x 30" ACDs from a person on eBay with no feedback from past transactions is just asking for it... I almost want to see them lose their money. :eek:

3. ready2switch macrumors 6502

4. bartelby macrumors Core

And the "PowerMac" thing...

5. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Definitely a scam. I don't see how a Powermac G5 could have Intel Xeons in it. And there's also the fact that the member has only been registered since yesterday and has absolutely no feedback whatsoever.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

3,000GB Hard Drives? I wish I had me a couple of those.

List of Imbeciles

Edit: One of the more annoying things about eBay is that there doesn't seem to be a way to report that, uh, "This is a @#$%ing FRAUD." Unless I'm missing it.

7. MrFirework macrumors regular

MrFirework

Hahahahah!!!

oh, yeah, and there's this too:

"ALSO WERE INCLUDING 2 BRAND NEW SEALED IN BOX Apple Cinema HD Displays (30" flat panels)"

:D :eek: :D :eek: :D

8. buffalo macrumors 65816

9. vniow macrumors G4

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

But they're the G5 dual Xenons.

11. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Yeah, reported as a suspected fraudulent listing... but it still vexes me that the option to do this isn't worded more strongly or more obviously.

12. ready2switch macrumors 6502

At the bottom of the page, below where you can bid, there is a "what else can I do" section with a "Report this item" link

13. checkflag macrumors member

checkflag

come on guys, this could be legit..............NOT
    I hate ebay scammers. This one time a guy was selling a canon 1ds for really cheap. I started bidding ridiculous amounts of money (It was a nigerian scam if I recall) like up to a million dollars. the guy actually emailed me saying he would end the auction early to accept me offer.. LOL. Ebay got involved and cancelled his auction.

HA

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, okay. Pre-load it with pr0n and I will make a bid. :eek: Although I think that Memron is a much better processor than Xenon. :D

15. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Right. I'm aware of that. But the options you are given aren't (imho) all that good.

The best option I found is: "Fraudulent Listings..." > "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent you didn't bid".

But after that, it says:

Which doesn't help. There's not a "We received your warning. Thanks." Or something that'd be REALLY useful, like "What makes you think that this guy is trying to rip off naïve folks? (2000 characters or less)" or something like that. The user isn't even informed whether a warning was forwarded or not.

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

You have to go through that to see if there are any help documents available, if not, like you said, you can select "Email us with your question or concern" if you click this it takes you to a form that has the auction number and you can tell them what is going on. I have done this a couple times and the auctions are ended within a few hours.

I agree it is a bit confusing as to what is going on when you actually click "Report this item" it only takes you to Ebay Help.

17. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's not very clear. You have to click on the "email us your concerns" which asks you to log into ebay and then fill out their complaint form. And yes, if you submit a report in this fashion, ebay will email you saying they received it.

18. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

i reported it
    there is a link on the bottom of the page towards the center that says 'report to ebay'

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

You didn't finish. You are supposed to click the email link. That will allow you to actually contact them and tell them why it is fraud. If you stop before there you haven't done anything.

20. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Yeah, bid it up to 25 grand/he deserves it

stolen or bogus!

21. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

There are a number of folk on eBay, who use names like 'ScamBuster' (or something equally lame), and just bid crazy amounts just to stop the thing from going through.

It's quite a poor job at a scam though - poor spelling, schoolboy errors, and payment accepted...might as well just have put 'Western Union' to finish it off really!

22. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

23. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Ahh... okay, that makes sense. Well, what you say makes sense. Not how they did it, which I still think is retarded :)

I'll keep that in mind next time I see a n00b about to be victimized. And I'll write eBay and ask them to make a little clearer what is actually required. I know a "email us" seems rather straightforward, but maybe they could put the one line of explanation in there that would have assured me that it'd throw up a red flag on someone's screen or something.

*remembers when an auction of his got ended pretty damn quickly because he included a burned copy of Solaris 8 (free and redistributable freely at the time) with a Sun box* eBay's concerns don't really seem to me to be in the right place.

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I wonder if eBay is reluctant to do much because it's really in their favour for the auction to finish. They get a listing fee and a portion of the final bid price either way.