Tell me what to buy: MBP, MP, MB or iMac.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jiddick ExRex, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Warning, hundreds of miles of post here, read only if you're totally bored.

I have no idea if I am a prosumer, consumer, pro user or whatever.

I am a student currently working on an iBook g4 with 512 RAM. My original intentions was to sell this baby and buy a MBP next spring but I am getting more and more uncertain as time goes by and I keep using more and more applications and small 'makes your workflow work better'-widgets.

When I work (and I mean work, like really work), my iBook is hooked up to my external display and running Mail, Safari, Firefox, iCal, MS Word + Powerpoint, Timbuktu Pro (so I can see how websites look on my Windoze machine's IE), IntelliJ, OmniGraffle, Photoshop + InDesign (cs1 still), iTunes, QuickSilver, lots o' windows of BB-edit, Transmit, Adium, TexShop and some other stuff I don't remember. All at the same time mind you since I am a multitasking maniac!
    This is the stationary side of things, when I really cook it up a nudge. When I am using the laptop as a laptop, it's usually for taking notes with TextEdit, Mail, iCal and Safari and the occasional OmniGraffle/Photoshop as needed. I really enjoy the portability everywhere I go, thus I cannot live without it and carry my Book everywhere I go.

My dilemma goes to where I am afraid that the MBP will be too clumsy albeit beautiful (don't forget it's a babe magnet) carrying around all day, hot (just like the MB) to be comfortably working on without external Keyboard and Mouse. Do I qualify for the mac pro? I was thinking about buying such a beast thus saving a bit more up for it. Since I already have a great display, I just don't think it would be wise to go for the iMac (it should at least be a 24" so I can game on it, that's my second woe), since I really would like the upgradeability option, and if I did go with a desktop, it should replace my old windoze machine for gaming on. I don't want to be dualbooting on two partitions, so it would be nice having a windoze HD (and then Parallels for easy multitasking for that annoying IE).

Since money both is and is not an issue (I can just wait for saving up, but I don't want to go down the Mac Pro + MBP road) I cannot seem to find out if I should just upgrade my RAM on my iBook and buy a desktop, thus still having portability on the go (although a crappy low-end display resolution), and then power back home. I could also prepare it for sale and buy a MBP and ignoring the extra weight (darn my backpack will be heavy). It just annoys me that the same amount of money spent on a MBP could be used buying a Mac Pro and getting a million times better machine!!

ARGH! As you can tell if I have not bored you to death yet, I have a lot of pros and cons about pretty much every possibility. Adding on top of things, I also have design issues, since I don't want to be buying say, a white iPod and then ending up with a MBP, that's just not right if you follow my drift ;)

I am currently leaning towards buying a Mac Pro, keeping my iBook, buying a MacBook to replace it and when that becomes obsolete, sell it to my GF (read lend) buy a MBP and then I will be bankrupt (but at least materialistically happy).

End of thoughtflow, you may judge me now.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get the Mac Pro and be done with it.

BV's buying policy is: get the best machine you can afford; it'll last longer that way.

Hasn't failed me yet. ;)

3. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

4. Voltes V macrumors member

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

A 24" iMac with the 7600 GT would do everything you want and more.

6. Jiddick ExRex thread starter macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Hardly :lol:

But I would still have a 'spare' 20" Widescreen monitor that I of course could use as a second display, it just seems a bit like overkill.
    Upgrades would be tough :/ and I honestly don't care much for the design, as well as the thought of needing several external Hard Drives...

Nah, I better go for the Mac Pro and then adding a MacBook later on :) .

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Mac Pro mos def, there's just soo much longevity in it. I was gonna get one but i need mobility and i need to be able to run windows on the go hence i got a MBP instead. You dont seem to have that need.

Also definately upgrade the RAM in your iBook if you can. In fact you should have done that since the first day you bought it. IMHO minimum RAM requirements for Tiger is 1GB...bare minimum, 512MB is just not ideal.

However i do agree that a high end Macmini..maxed out (2GB/1.83/120GB) would suffice for your needs but the Mac Pro..well nothing beats having a Mac Pro sitting under your desk ready to take anything you throw at it.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think the Mac Pro would be best, especially if you already have a nice monitor to go with it.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You already have your portable needs covered with the iBook, but definitely need to upgrade your RAM to at least 1 GB.

Since you already have a portable capable of running OSX Leopard, there's no need
    to replace your iBook until Apple offers something in the Penryn 45nm processors.

You have a good display, so a solid desktop would make the most sense for any heavy lifting you plan to do.

In your situation, I would upgrade the iBook and then save up for a Leopard Powered MacPro.

A properly equipped Mac Pro 2.66 GHz with 2 GB RAM and the ATI X1900XT is going to set you back over $2600.00

While you certainly do not NEED more machine than this for your indicated usage,
    I would try to hang in there for a Mac Pro Rev "B" at this point.

Once we know what is going on with Quad Core processors, you'll be able to
    buy up to that standard or take advantage of closeouts on the current models.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know what app sort of apps "Transmit" and "IntelliJ" are, but I think a MacBook will be fine. None of those programs really require heavy use of a video card, and things like TexShop barely use up resources. The only thing is Photoshop and Indesign, and the speed of those apps will depend on processor more than anything else.

The only reason to get a 15" is because of the extra resolution of the MacBook Pro, which is great when going portable. When at home, if your iBook handled your external LCD just fine, your MacBook will do the same, but having the video card at this point has it's advantages, depending on what you want to do.

However, if you get the MB, I don't know what you'll do with regards to heavy gaming. If you got a MBP, you'd be able to do lots of gaming, as long as you're willing to boot into Windows at times.

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'd keep your iBook and get a MP. I probably wouldn't even bother putting more RAM in the iBook, since it's obviously sufficed so far doing ALL of your work, then surely it's fine for just on the go stuff (ie: just taking notes and whatnot).

I don't necessarily think you *need* the Mac Pro (well, obviously you don't, if an iBook has been handling your work so far), but it will last you the longest, with the most room for upgrades. Also, because Apple doesn't exactly have the biggest line up, it's really your only choice, I think. The mac mini is a laptop without a screen, IMO, the iMac is pointless because you already have a monitor, the MB won't handle heavy gaming and that seems to be something you're looking for, and the MBP is a waste of your money considering you already have a portable (IMO, only buy a laptop if you NEED portability, because you don't get nearly as much bang for your buck compared to a desktop).

12. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Go with the mac pro and than waig for a c2d or newer macbook, or pro if at the times they are much better and justify the cost difference a little more than they do now.

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Adding RAM to your iBook is comparatively cheap and well worth the expense.

That would be my first priority before you upgrade to a new tower.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But why update the RAM in the iBook is he is going to get a new machine? Max out the RAM in the new machine, not the iBook....

15. seany916 macrumors 6502

no offense, but for what you do, the Mac Pro would be a serious waste of money

macbook would be your best bet (2GB RAM) for what you do. portability & power. MBP would only be necessary if you want to run a 30" cinema or high end programs or games

get an external if you need extra storage

that would fill your needs nicely. keep the iBook for backup or give it away

if you have some money and want nicer, understand that you'll be getting nicer for more money, but not much more performance

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Seems the subtext is that you dont NEED a MP but given your options its the best bet. You can even upgrade to Core 2 Quadros should you decide to do this. Personally i'd stay away from the Apple portable lineup, while YMMV, there just seems to be a higher risk of things going wrong with them.....even higher than a Mini which is essentially a laptop.