Tell me what to do with my brand new-not opened 12" powerbook!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jakochampolska, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I've been waiting for this day to come for about a year now. My first EVER mac. After waiting and waiting for the wonderous day, I still have to wait....until CHRISTMAS. Ah. Okay, well my parents did let me open the beautiful powerbook box up and just see the super soft powerbook and but they wouldnt let me turn it on, and so my suffering will go on until 'santa comes and brings my presents'. Anyway, I want that morning on christmas to be absoutly perfect, and I want to know what to do with my powerbook once I turn it on. So any suggestions would be helpful, or tell me what you did when you first got your powerbook/ibook.

2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Wow...you get to know what your Christmas present is before Christmas day???...SWEEET!!! :D Did you inhale all that apple goodness from the box...if not...go back and breath it in...thats what I did for a few minutes when I first got my powerbook.

3. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

4. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

I don't know about that - i would rather not know for sure if I got it or not, than knowing i got it and can't use it. I mean, its right over there, isnt it jakochampolska? right over there! Don't you want to hear that booooooooooooooong sound? it's so close, and christmas is so far!:D :p :D

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also keep it far away from balconies. :D

You're going to love it. Merry early Christmas! :)

6. jakochampolska thread starter macrumors 6502

I KNOW I KNOW!! Ahh, I just keep staring at the beautiful black box and wanting to open it! its so closeee, just so close. ahhh
    Oh man its crazy, but I'm trying to convince my parents on letting me open it on the first day of chirstmas break which is in 5 days! and they're like okay maybe if you get good grades on your report card (which I do see happening haha so maybe I will)

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmmm... I say turn it on and run through the setup and the major fuctions. Your clock is ticking on the DOA return period and warranty. If there is a problem with the machine, you want to report it to Apple now, not later.

8. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Wow, CRAM just came up with the best excuse. A very vaild excuse too! Make them let you open it!

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I ruined my first computer, which was a gift, by using it before Christmas came along. My only regret? I got caught using it before Christmas. :D

10. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Pegs, shocks, lucky...

I wouldn't take it off any sweet jumps though.
    ;)

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Very simple - give it to me.:p :D

But really, once you turn it on, enjoy the tiger intro video.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

This is a very good point. Tell your parents that you must turn it on now.:D

13. ILoveiBooks macrumors member

I'm not sure if you get as emotional as me, but the day I got my iBook and turned it on, (I had been waiting for a Mac for years) when I heard the "Ahhhhhhhhh!" sound, I nearly started crying. Haha

14. portent macrumors 6502a

What to do before you open it

Since you've got time, go to

http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/powerbook/

find your manual, and read through it. Boring, maybe, but it'll help keep you "in the mood" as well as explain how to set up and care for your new PowerBook.

15. generik macrumors 601

generik

Here is what I foresee will happen...

With the recent drop in quality of Apple's products, I foresee that on Christmas day the OP will happily unwrap the PB, open the lid, press the power button, and... nothing.

Then he will phone AppleCare to complain, but instead of gettng prompt replacement and first class service that is to be expected from a company that charges half as much as Nasdaq/AAPL, the "genius" at the other end of the line will reply that it has been outside of 14 days since the date of purchase, and because of that he will have to send his PB back "for repairs" instead of getting a replacement (nevermind the fact that it has never been on prior to that day!)

The OP will then smash the PB in anger and return to the pencil pushing world of Windoze.

Hey, don't tell me I didn't warn you! At least switch it on to make sure it works! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

16. generik macrumors 601

generik

What "Ahhhh" sound? I only recalled the "Boong" and the slick music from the OSX video when I first powered on my PB.

Having got rid of my Rev-E machine lately I have to say I really miss Apple mail and Adium though.. :(

Intel iBooks, 7448 PBs! Hope either of these make a showing in MWSF :rolleyes:

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I believe you both are refering to the same sound :)

18. generik macrumors 601

generik

Ahhhhhhh :D

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So your parents are sadists, right? Right???

20. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Yeah that does seem like some kind of torture, "You can touch it, open it and look at it, but not use it". Personally, I go for the 'out of sight, out of mind' theory, If I can't see it, I won't go mad :)

21. trey4x4 macrumors newbie

Tell me what to do with my brand new-not opened 12"

the First thing is first. I would install some sort of tracking software. This best done when new. Trust me I have Lost 1 powerbook (thanks to Thieves) If you get a program like Track your Mac or Mac Phone home if for some unforseen accident happens you will have a way to track the Theives and get your laptop back. Dont Bother installing Norton's System works or anything from them. it has been the stupidest mistakes I have ever made. Everytime I put a disc in or connect my camera it has to scan for viruses. I have even thrown the program away but it still persist. those are just a few of the things I would suggest. Every year i up grade to the newest Model and sell my old one. So you could say that I have become use adding and installing stuff. Also I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND adding more Memory and if Possible junking the hard drive and opt for getting the new 7200rpm 100 gig harddrive. Your laptop will smoke just about any desktop computer around making you the envy of all of your friends. please go to http://otherworldcomputing.com/ for the best deals

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your new mac

trey Kirby
    treykirby@pdq.net
    too many to list computers

Once you have a Mac You will Never Go Back.