Tell me Why...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iSuck, Jul 28, 2004.

1. iSuck macrumors member

iSuck

Next year, our school requires each student to get a laptop. Now, I can either buy 4 PC computers which the school offer, any PC Laptop i want outside of the schools range, or and iBook....Now...This is a big choice as my parents are spending alot of money.

Why should I change to a Mac?

Secondly, My school also has computer laps now and is full of eMacs with OS X 10. something on it. Lol. Anyway, I really like the design and the simplicity of the Macs. I like the white exterior, the individual windows. The few problems that I find are listed as the following

1. When I open a program like Appleworks or Word for Mac, i dont like how the seperate toolbars arnt attatched to the actual page as in the windows version of Word is all bunched together neatly. I don't find it to be neat.

2. Programs. If i wanted to download Kazaa Lite, which i currently have on my PC, i would need to download a Mac Version, and on the net, when I download files, I rarely see

DOWNLOAD FOR MAC USERS....

So fix these problems and convince me all you mac users, I wanna buy the wonderful products that you offer, but sometimes i wonder...

Thanks, I appreciate this...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's good that you are at least being open minded. Even if you end up buying a PC (and given that your Uni is selling them they may well be subsidised so a good deal) you can feel satisfied that you looked at all the options. So to take your particular problems:

1) There's nothing you can do about this. The seperate toolbars are more "Mac". You'd probably get used to it!

2) Unfortunatly there is no version of Kaza for the Mac platform. I'm sure some other members could point you in the direction of alternatives (BitTorrent say).

In general this can be a problem. I bought my first Mac in 2000 and have found that whilst there might be less software, what there is is better. Do you really need 200 P2P clients? Would 1 or 2 really good ones not be better?

On the Longhorn front: how long is your course? Microsoft themselves admit that Longhorn will not be released until 2007. It might get delayed further. They have already cut down on the specs a bit to try and make this deadline (for example they were originally going to provide spotlight style search on not only local disks, but network attached volumes and the open internet, this has been reduced to local disc only).

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Sure, if you consider 2007/2008 soon then get the Wintel notebook.

4. angelneo macrumors 68000

1. Its a matter of preferences, you will get used to it.

2. There are alternatives, you just have to invest some time looking for it.

I'm not trying to sound offensive but you sounds as if the mac community need bend over for your request.

5. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Ok, yeah you make good points there...

Ok for the first problem, i will probably get used to it, your right

Secondly, I just discovered BitTorrent , and suprnova.com great site, but the problem there is, you can only download albums and not individual songs.

Hmm...yeah, I still dunno, for me, it's a pretty big step...I mean To be honest, and please dont hate me here,

I used to be one of those people who totaly hated apple with a PASSION!!!
    But yeah, ever since I bought ma iPod and started usin the eMacs at school, i'm still sorta weary on this...

Another problem that has come to mind is the fact that I have versions of programs that are nessecary to me, eg Macromedia Flash MX 2004 and Adobe Photoshop, but will these versions work if i transferred them via cd to a mac?

6. Koree macrumors 6502

Use Poisoned

It is a p2p downloader thingy and it also searches kazaa users, and about your problem with the toolbars being in seperate windows, eh, personally like it better, i mean, they don't move around unless you tell them to, so once you've found everything, you won't need to find em again. And don't smirk at us, we get that enough from the unenlightened and I acutally smile a little cuz I know my machine is better in so many ways, cept gaming. I am quite a big gamer but all the truly great games that are being released recently all have mac versions, and i put my piece of mind that my file isn't going to be eaten by a virus or spontaneously vanish into the void of the C drive in front of playing counter strike. (good game) At school, when using the PCs, (we have really really good IBMs shame they are running Windoze) I've lost work i was working a good 2 hours on (it crashed, don't know how it was just Word! It didn't even back up!). Since then i have been carrying my PowerBook 530 Color (its 10 years old Dead battery) and i have never lost a file on it, it hasn't even ever crashed before. And been typing my stuff on that. And i am replacing that powerbook with a 15" Al powerbook soon. (Biggest, Upgrade, EVER!!!)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless the CDs have Mac versions on them that's not going to work! I think both Adobe and Macromedia have some sort of program where you can trade in your Windows CDs for Mac ones though...

8. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Well, I just discovered and interesting fact while reading my APC Magazine. I found out that the creators of MAC have just gotten rolled. They claim that their engine cannot work on a PC as it is inferior, YET, some expert programmers, with alot of time on their hands, have created an emulator which allows a Mac interface to be used on a PC.

Name of the emulator creators is called Pear PC

check this **** out

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/screenshots/pearpc_xp.jpg

so now im wondering if i should get a Pc and use that program...hmmm..it still doesnt fix my fetish for the white exterior...SIGH!

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple have never claimed that Mac OSX would not run on an x86 architecture (what you call a PC). They claim that it is better on PPC. There has already been a lot of discussion of PearPC on these boards. It is an emulator. It is very, very slow. You will probably no enjoy running OSX on it, even on the fastest x86 PC in the world!

10. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Well.. Last year July I bought a 12" PowerbookG4 RevA and I never regret it... Since then I formated about 1-2 times and reinstalled Windows about 3-4 times on my Desktop PC..

Not that I hate PCs, but buying a PC is not feasible anymore to me.. As someone who'll spend over a 1000bucks you should get something which'll make no problem and a PC brick (notebook) can leave you on the road at anytime.. Believe me my lad, I'm not a Apple worker or something, I'm just a person who tries to help, a Mac in general will be the best machine ever that you'll own..

by the way, an eMac never shows the real quality of Apple, you should use a PowerMacG5 or a iMac at least.. and iPod.. it changed my whole life, I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do..

go iBookG4.. ;)

11. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Yeah, at my school we also have G4 iBooks and I enjoyed using them but another thing i hate about macs is the one button on the mouse. Where is the scroll thingy and i prefer 2 buttons as it is quicker.

Also, I heard that macs heat up like a fire oven at a pizza shop.

Yeah, Kudos to the iPod although the 4th Generation one whcih was just release is horrible. I used one recently and they the new scroll will is very hard to use, as i want to scroll through a menu and I end up changing my song...anyway i dont wanna talk about iPods, i wanna talk about Mac PCS.

So yeah, are there any pc users out there who have recently changed to the mac format.

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

You can just get your normal USB mouse and it will work just as it worked on windows.

13. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I was never a fan of the scroll wheel even when I was a Windows person.

I make do with the page up/down buttons on a desktop or or function + up/down arrow on a portable.

The thing you have to realise is that on a Mac you can do most things using keyboard shortcuts leaving the mouse for "point and click" stuff.

It's a very efficient way to work and quicker than mousing all over the place.

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1. Regading the mouse, there is good news: you can plug in a two-button USB mouse to your Mac and it will just work - no driver installation is needed. (I'm not sure if the scroll wheel is supported, though - I've never used a two-button mouse with my Mac, since I don't use contextual menus often - Mac OS X offers other ways to get things done besides the contextual menu.) How's that for convienience?
    2. The reason why PowerBooks get as hot as they do when you're using them is because Apple much prefers using passive cooling methods (like heatsinks) whenever possible as opposed to active methods (such as fans).
    3. I own a 3rd gen iPod and have not tried an iPod mini or the 4th gen iPod, so I can't comment on the click wheel. My suspicion is that you're not using the click wheel correctly - maybe you're putting too much pressure on it when trying to scroll?
    4. I'm not a switcher per se, but I am an "adder" - one that uses both platforms (Mac and Windows). I own a G4 iMac and a P4 PowerSpec.

15. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Nah, I also own a 15 gb 3rd Gen and I use the wheel like normal...not much effort is needed, it's simple, and I don't apply alot of pressure, it was brand new, maybe it just needed some wearing down.

Anyway, Im still now convinced

16. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

RRRRRRRRRR!

If it bothers you that much, then just get a PC. Even though you can hide that tool bar and get it back in seconds.

Um, POSIONED. http://gottsilla.net/poisoned.php Gets you onto more than just Kazaa's network. There are a bunch more that can get you on to Kazaa and the other sharing networks, Posioned being the best. BUT, this will be against the rules for having a laptop and bringing it to school. They find out you have it, you could get in trouble because they are going to think you are trying to use it on the schools network. Why not just stick with iTunes and buy some songs.

for all your program needs: http://www.versiontracker.com Search, Find, Use.

17. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

BUY SONGS?!!?

hahahahahahhahaahhaahahahhahahaha!!!!

LMAO!!!!!!!

ME! BUY SONGS!

PFTT....I JUST GET ALBUMS OFF MA MATES AND BURN THEM TO MA COMP.
    Or kazaa is another alternitive

18. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Though most people have done this at one point or another, it's still stealing. Which bragging about isn't really cool to anyone but yourself.

Not to mention discussions advocating piracy are a breach of the TOS here, so I'd keep it clean and stick to discussion about the merits of getting a Mac.

19. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

Sorry. I wasnt aware. Stealing, Alcahol and Drugs are wrong. Stay in school kids. Im goin to bed, ill be back tomoz.

Yawn...off to dream about PC's......

lol, nah, im gonna go play guitar and stuff...i live in australia if ya wondeirng...

20. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Ok so you have two options really Windows or Mac, I recently changed to mac from PC and i have to say i have been very comfortable doing so. The only thing i really miss on my PC is having VB and VB.NET

Stability wise... if you get a good pc with good hardware and is looked after then no it wont crash as much as others, you can really compare because there are soo many permiatations of pc's out there you cant compare to people like Sun or Apple who make propriatory hardware/software.

Merits of mac's well they look soooooo much nicer than ^most^ pc laptops. Plus they are portable unlike most non-centrino laptops. The battery life is good and the screens are awesome on the apple laptops.

Pro's of Mac laptops: Slot Load DVD Drive (no more breaking the tray), Battery Life good, OS is really nice.. it takes time to get used to but its worth it, screen quality is up there with the best, built in bluetooth & airport

Pro's of PC Laptops: you can share programs / files with your freinds, run all your desktop software on the go, two button+ mouse, more options available by shopping around

If you are still planning on keeping your desktop, download from there and zap it over using network. Apple includes samba so you can network to windows pc's really easily.

P2P - well as mentioned Poisoned is a Kazzaa client it also connects to the Gnutella network (limewire) and there are many more p2p programs. These integrate really well into iTunes so you know where all your files are..

Adobe Photoshop + Flash ... well ... if your clever you can pick these up or download them.... but im sure that you will take up student discounts and buy them ;)

Oh one last thing.. if you get a laptop with Bluetooth built in, buy a Bluetooth Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, stick it inthe bag and when you want to use it, pull it out, no connections it just works! You get the benefit of wireless, long battery life + the scroll wheel! and their driver speeds up the mouse soo much more so its just like pc speeds! ( i have always found apple pointer to be slower than windows ).

21. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

If you're referring to a Microsoft driver for its Bluetooth mice, this is just untrue. Microsoft currently offers no support or drivers for their Bluetooth devices on Apples. The slow pointer movement of my Bluetooth Intellimouse has been the bane of my existence since I bought it 6 months ago. And the battery life is only so-so... I get about two weeks, where my RF Intellimouse went 3 months and gets used more. Anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that the standard (non-Bluetooth) intelimouse drivers work for speeding up the mouse, even if it's a non-MS mouse so it should work for the Bluetooth ones as well.

23. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

LISTEN DUDE Kazaa sucks! there are many better p2p apps for Mac see http://www.mac-p2p.com/ or the web site in my signature. Kazaa on a PC gives you viruses, spyware, and lots of other crap. Poisoned does not as long as you don't type in your password when installing a 16Kb file called microsoft Word installer.

24. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Macs?

Karma. And common sense. Anyone who thinks that Microsoft would
    a)Make a web-installer for MS Word
    OR
    b) make it 16K or some silly miniscule size like that
    deserves to get burned.

By the way, I couldn't help but notice this...

25. iSuck thread starter macrumors member

iSuck

LMAO!

I Know, TELL ME WHY....iSuck...haha, I didnt intend to that, but it's funny regardless.

Anyway guys, I looked at the prices for 12 inch ibooks in australia, startin from 1,324 dollars, reasonable....but then I looked closer and it said it only has 1.4 GHZ!!

Wot is up with that?!!?

The desktop I am runnin on now is 2.4, and ma dad's laptop which is a pentium 4 has 3.2gig.....so why shud i spend that much cash on something that only runs on a 1.4ghz

Do the ibooks come with OS X?

Ok, you guys got me here

I am cool with the music, cause I can just get a new program like poisened or use Bit Torrent but if there are songs I really need, I will just download them on ma other comp and transfer them to ma ibook.

As for the mouse...Im happy that I can still use my two button scroll mouse.

As for the dragable toolbars in word and other programs...im pretty happy:D

The only thing now is the cash:( and the speed