Tell me your opinions on my FIRST Mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BigMacUser, May 26, 2006.

1. BigMacUser macrumors member

Ok guys and gals this is my first post! :)

Just wondering what you all think about this computer I orderd...

Its the 17" MacBookPro

Matte finish screen (NON-glossy)

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo(1)

2GB RAM

120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive

8x double-layer SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

One FireWire 400, one FireWire 800, and three USB 2.0 ports

This computer is going to be used for my College work and studies. Thanks!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My honest opinion.

I think you should wear a mask when you use it, or else it will rock your face off.

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

One word if you are using this for college: lucky

Also, I think it is a bit, um…, overpowered for your needs. give it to me if you decide you need more portability
    ;)

4. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

LOL...Na I hated the Glossy screen...I went to a Mac store and the glare on it was BAD! SO I decided to go with the Matte screen....It looks darn near the same....its color is still amazing!

So you guys think this thing will be smokin' fast?

Also what exactly is the double layer drive? I asked the guy at the store and he couldnt answer it really....

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It'll let you burn DL discs, which hold twice the capacity of regular DVD's. Here's a link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD+R_DL

They're much pricier than single-layer DVD's, though. And yes, your computer is fast. So fast, that again, I reiterate the need for some sort of mask. I seriously cannot stress that enough.

6. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

LMAO good because I am IMPATIENT!

Also what other kind of accessories do yall suggest? I bought the 3 year warrenty and also the 17" neoprene sleeve...anything else that would help to keep this computer in TOP/NEW condition for years to come? thanks!

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I woulda gotten the glossy screen, but an extremely nice computer nonetheless! The only other accessory I'd really recommend is a good bluetooth mouse!

8. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

9. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Ok will do! Thanks for the tip!

Should I get one of those iSaver things? (the pads that go between your screen and the keys?

10. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I second the BT mouse suggestion. I use a Logitech V270 with my PB and I really like it a lot.

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You might want something to keep between the screen and the keyboard, I remember my Ti had marks from the keyboard on the screen after a few years. I don't know if they fixed that problem with the aluminium design, though.

I would also get a nice bag with a laptop pocket (I personally like Timbuk2 bags, since I bike a lot), or just a good sleeve for it if you already have a bag to put it in.

12. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

I think I am going to get the Apple BT mouse....I used the apple mouse at school and I liked the feel...

Yeah I am going over to Bestbuy later to get one of the screen things, that apple mouse, and a carrying case for the comp and my books...I got the neoprene sleeve from apple that the comp slides in....and then will put in case...I am also getting a cleaning kit (duster spray, Cleaning spray, microfiber clenaing swabs, and a suede clenaing clothe

I also may get one of those thingys that hold the comp up off the desk and on an angle...

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

I bit of "overkill" I should think. But if you've got the money, why not?
    Will to 17" model fit inside a backpack?

14. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

No question that's an awesome fast machine. Enjoy!

The only thing I'm wondering is if you plan to bring it to class with you? It might be a little bit too big in lectures halss, etc...

15. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Could you share some of the pot you are smoking? It must be good stuff...

16. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Its only 15" wide and 10" deep and 1" thick....most 15" screens are that big...Like the choice was between IBM and apple...we got a special deal through school on em....the 15" IBM computer was 14.5" wide with a 15.4" screen or something like that....

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'd have gone with the 7200RPM HDD and glossy screen...

...but what the hell, I'm just jealous, you're going to love it!

18. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about the 7200rpm hard drive but I figured I would need the storage space....and with the 2.16GHz intel duo chip and 2GB RAM I figured the 7200rpms from the 5400rpms hard drive wouldnt make any differnce, and if it did it would be very minute...

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

For screen protection from keyboard marks I use a piece of paper or the thing that already comes between the keyboard/screen. And yes, get a really good sleeve (if that is your route) that will protect the computer from bumps and bangs, not just sratches.

20. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

O and if you were wodnering we got 20% off through my school (ohio University)

so the price was like 3123.00 and after the discount it was 2498 shipped...not to shabby....I dont think :) :D

21. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

I got the neoprene sleeve that apple sells...it came free with the comp through my school. I am also going to get a samsonite Computer backpack...that has a special padded compartment (as well as my sleeve) so that thing should be seriously protected! and aslo tons of room for my books and what not...

here is the link:

http://us.samsonite.com/webapp/us/s...oductId=200116&storeId=10001&langId=-1&pc=C30

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

What can we say? A lovely machine for sure, and you were wise to fill it with RAM.

23. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks netdog...yeah I know I figured I would get as much as possible since i messed up on my desktop and only put 512mb in it and then had to go and spend anouther 500 bucks getting it up to 1GB :mad: (this was 4-5 years ago on my DELL)

That RAM will help with the computer speed (file opening and such) as well as internet speed correct?

24. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

It's the one I would have got if the screen would have tilted back further. I currently have a 17" 1ghz and I LOVE it!

25. BigMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Sweet Guys!...

Just wondering exactly what I need to run Microsoft Windows and Office on ym comp as I would like to have both windows and OSx for differnt things I need to do. Thanks

BTW: where is a good low cost place to order one of those pad things that go bewtween the screen and the keyboard when the comp is shut? thanks!