Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Tell us about your Apple experiences. When did you first fall in love with Mac? What do you love most about your Mac? What do you love most about Apple in general?

So come on, tell us anything and everything.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I'm sure there's plenty of threads like this, but my switch factor was the iMac G4 coupled with the simplicity of Mac OS (at that time, 10.3)

I had used educational macs before, but System 7 and OS 8 were horrid graphically. But as of late 05 I've returned to the world of the rainbow apple.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I was a frustrated PC user. I had to be able to work on windows, and couldn't afford two computers at the same time. I'd read lots of good reviews about Apple simplicity, and a teacher had convinced me to switch. I bought a mid level first gen Macbook in May 2006. I used it for everything for more than a year.

My sister is about to start college, so I recently sold them my Macbook, and got a Pro.

I also got a last gen 20" iMac for my mother. She used to be computer impaired, but in less than a week, she's much more confident and she loves her Mac. She even has an Apple sticker on her car! :p Okay, I'm the one who put it there

Oh, and my father now wants an iMac too :p

The funny thing is tomorrow I'm getting a low level PC to save space on my laptop and do 3D... :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Went through school and college hating them, but they did all use the worst Macs (at college the iMag G4 was out but we all had G3's and had to rush into the room to get the only, and faster, eMac.)

kusanagi

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I had a friend in highschool who was really into macs... and he kept goin on and on about them until i had to get one to try it. Picked up my first mac (lc2) from a flea market for $20, then a lc630 for $50. Once i finished highschool, someone posted on a pc forum an ibook (2nd gen dual usb) among the apple hating rants i managed to pick up that beauty for $150 and thus the love affair began!

gazelleintense

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
South of Heaven
I went to the public library to use a computer, Back in 1990 or so...

they had some pc's..... and an odd looking little computer that quickly grabbed my full attention... I decided to try that one... the PC's just looked dull...

it was small, 9" screen.. all in one design...I just had to use this machine! (later I learned it was a Mac SE30)...

I was using word 4.0 to type letters and save to a floppy disk... and to play a game or two... this computer was small, but fun...

never heard of a mac prior to this...

after a month or so doing this, I decided I HAD to have my own..

so I bought my first mac, a color classic.

the rest is history :D:apple:

SeVeN

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
San Jose
after my 2 week old HP got owned by a trojan, i decided to take my dads advice and try out a Mac. so i got an iMac Snow from ebay, added panther and a gig of ram. even though i knew the computer was like 6 years old it felt alot newer and modern. i then got a G4 Cube from craigslist. finally i got a new MBP. i gave the Snow to my brother who is now a Mac user, but i always like to have at least one G3 around because thats what got me started

iSaint

macrumors 603
I was just a wee child the first time she crossed my path...

not really.

A friend and I started looking them over about three years ago. He ordered a Powerbook, and I ordered an iBook in August of '04. Four iPods, another Powerbook, and an iPhone later I'm still in love! :p

MK2007

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
I tried a Mac in early February 1984 and have loved them ever since. When I went to the store that day no one was interested in the Macintosh. A salesman was talking to a crowd around the IBM PC. I could hardly get near that machine. It took a month before people became interested in the Mac.

Either OS platform works well for me. I have no problems with OS X or any version of Windows. In fact, this post was typed on a new Compaq laptop. With over 30 years experience using computers, I firmly believe that anyone who fails with Windows or OS X is someone who just can't understand computers well enough to use them properly.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
My friend had gotten an iMac G4 when i was littler. He was about 5 years older than me. He let me play with it, and he showed me somethings around it. I really wanted one, started saving but but ended up buying otherstuff.

5 Years later i bought myself a Macbook and loving it!

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
well, i always heard ipods were "expensive", so i never looked at them. then one day my friend comes up to me and goes, "apple came out with this new ipod (first gen shuffle) and its really cheap!" so i picked one up. fell in love. got a nano. got a video. got a nano. got a video. got a 2nd gen shuffle. (not all at once, sold one to get the other) and after a little looking on apples website i picked up my first macbook.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
On a stormy night, I was pulled out of the Mediterranean Sea by the crew of a fishing boat. Thinking me dead, a curious fisherman with a scalpel found two bullets in my back and a miniature laser device in my hip. The laser revealed a .MAC account number. But I wassn't dead, and I soon found myself in Zurich. At the Apple Genius Bar I discovered my name, Iscariot. In addition, I founds a baffling pile of different passports, all with my picture, and a huge pile of cash in the adjacent mall lockers. At the U.S. Embassy, I discovered my love interest and travel partner, an Apple Powerbook, along with the fact that someone wants to kill me. Armed with a bag of money and mysterious martial arts skills, and with my Mac by my side, I scoured Paris for clues about my identity and past life... and found myself in the middle of two handheld electronic device plots masterminded by Apple and Microsoft.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I was all in line to buy my first PC. I was going to buy a dell and one of my college teachers told me to buy a used g4. Well the powermac g5 just hit, so I decided to buy one of those. Borrowed some money / saved my ass off and bought a single 1.8 powermac g5.

I did not know what I was buying at the time, didn't know the difference between mac and pc. I knew what a mac was and I had used one for a little.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
The first Mac I used was in 1998 in kindergarten (I had been using Windows 95 prior to this since I was three) it was an All-in-one G3 (Not an iMac) Then about halfway through the year, we got the brand new Bondi Blue iMac G3's. I bought a Mac Classic in 2004, a Bondi Blue iMac in 2005, and received a Mac mini for Christmas in 2006. Bought my iBook G3 in early 2007.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
On a stormy night, I was pulled out of the Mediterranean Sea by the crew of a fishing boat. Thinking me dead, a curious fisherman with a scalpel found two bullets in my back and a miniature laser device in my hip. The laser revealed a .MAC account number. But I wassn't dead, and I soon found myself in Zurich. At the Apple Genius Bar I discovered my name, Iscariot. In addition, I founds a baffling pile of different passports, all with my picture, and a huge pile of cash in the adjacent mall lockers. At the U.S. Embassy, I discovered my love interest and travel partner, an Apple Powerbook, along with the fact that someone wants to kill me. Armed with a bag of money and mysterious martial arts skills, and with my Mac by my side, I scoured Paris for clues about my identity and past life... and found myself in the middle of two handheld electronic device plots masterminded by Apple and Microsoft.

mine can't beat this one.... i want to hear more about this one!!!

basically for me, i got tired of not trusting my computer. i fixed my problem when i bought my first iBook. since then i have switched both parents, two sisters, 4 aunts, 2 cousins and my grandmother along with a large handful of friends. Everyone of them now has a better technological experience going on and thank me for it often.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I've never "fallen in love" though I'm going on 30 years of marriage to the same person.

I had my "head turned" in '91 when I saw what I was looking for in desktop graphics and brochure design (at that time it was Pagemaker), then I saw Photoshop open up, later it was video production with Final Cut (then 2), and I made the calculated, cool headed and non illustrious transition from PC to Apple. Never looked back. I hadn't even heard about a "cult". ;)

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I'm a relative newbie, compared to the rest of you.

In 2004 I met my (now) ex girlfriend, who had a G4 iBook. I liked the look of it, but I was still skeptical of the OS. Then, I opened Terminal. Wow. Unix.

ibook-g4:~ Alana$ ls -laF

wow!

ibook-g4:~ Alana$ top

Wow!!

ibook-g4:~ Alana$ uptime

W O W. 3 weeks?!?@$#

My interest had been piqued.

I started work at a campus computer store at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia in October of 2005. I had never paid much attention to Apple as a whole before that, except for my 4th gen iPod 20GB. Anyway, Their G5 Power Mac really caught my attention. I put Halo on it and watched the frames fly. I had a really good chance to mess around with the OS, and the guys there are really Mac-enthusiastic. I set my sights on a 17" PowerBook. The head of administrative computing had one, and he let me surf the web for a bit on it, and I loved the screen.

As fate would have it, someone from the computer science department ordered a custom 17" PowerBook with 1GB in 1 chip, so it wasn't returnable. He put down ~$400 as a deposit on it. He canceled his order, but it was too late, the PB had shipped. So, we had a sweet 17" PowerBook sitting there. Literally sitting beside me while I worked.

I worked out a deal with the guys, so I saved about $700 or so. Cost me $2600 after tax with a second GB of RAM. After that, I convinced my parents (over the phone), who are usually pretty weary of new things, especially (relatively) expensive new things, to purchase the new CD iMac once it came out. They obliged, splurged $1600 and now that's our main home computer.

I will never, ever buy a Windows-based PC again. I may however buy a Dell to run Ubuntu. Just as a hobby, of course.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
The first Mac I used was in 1998 in kindergarten (I had been using Windows 95 prior to this since I was three) it was an All-in-one G3 (Not an iMac) Then about halfway through the year, we got the brand new Bondi Blue iMac G3's. I bought a Mac Classic in 2004, a Bondi Blue iMac in 2005, and received a Mac mini for Christmas in 2006. Bought my iBook G3 in early 2007.

Wow, your story sound similar to mine. Except the fact that I never have had any of the products you have.:D:D But the first time I fell in love with a Mac (If you could say that, c'mon, it was a kindergarten crush!) was in 1998. I loved the style of it. But, I didn't get en-amorously in love with Macs until I fell in love with movie making. My neighbor had an old G3 that she used for Photoshop and introduced me to the computing style in 2001. Then started the saving. My grandma never had seen her yard so clean before! I finally got enough money for an eMac in 2003 and bought one. I then got an iMac last month to replace my eMac and I'm loving it!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
If everyone in the world had an Apple computer, the world would be a better place to live.:p

Prof. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.