Temp inside your place?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Jul 31, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    When we went to bed last night, the air conditioning had been running since 7 a.m. and it was 82 inside our place.

So they come out today and flush the condensate line and don't even tell me they have been here and its slightly better...but it is still running non stop and its 79 even though I have it set to 72...

They put freon in it a month ago.

Am I unreasonable to think that my AC should keep it at least below 80 when running 24 hours a day? Would it be wrong of me to call up tomorrow and tell them to fix it, as they just keep messing with it and nothing happens?

I don't mind getting a $200 electric bill if I remember being comfortable, but to sweat and pay that is kind of pissing me off. It didnt' do this last year.
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    A tip on AC usage:

For the moment, set it to 79 and let it "rest". In about 20 minutes, set it to 77 and let it struggle to get there. Then let it "rest" for about 30 minutes. Then set it to 75 and let it struggle to get there. I'd give up at that point. I think reaching 72 with the heat indexes the way they are here in the South..

If it's not pushing out "cool" air, then it may be a faulty compressor. But typically apartments won't do anything unless it's over 85 out and above 82 in your place.

I've worked REALLY hard to get used to it being 78 during "normal" hours, and limiting myself to 76 during evening hours. This is positively impacted our electric bill, and the amount that the AC unit runs.
  3. iGary thread starter Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that. I let it rest for a half-hour yesterday in case it was frozen, and then gradually let it try to catch up. It stopped "catching up" at 79 degrees.

It's just supposed to be 100 here the next few days and I am tired of sweating if I do anything but work at my desk with two fans pointed at me.

I'm just trying to decide whether to go postal on the management company tomorrow as today was teh third time in a month they have been out, only doing little things each time versus actually trying to diagnose the problem.

I mean I have rooms closed off to try and give it a break.
  4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Our house is under construction currently. The central air units are gone. We have some window units in the bedrooms, and a standalone A/C unit in the basement where my room is. It's currently 81 degrees in here and upwards of 85-90 upstairs in the kitchen/livingroom/dining room area.
  5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't know what kind of unit you have, but you may want to check the air intakes to make sure they are clean as are your filters. On Box Units I know that it feels marginally better after housing down the outer-vent and casing well.
  6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    84 upstairs, a cool 78 downstairs.

No central air here, so we're working two ACs awfully hard. No real progress against the heat,though, and the real weather coming tomorrow.

Sangria making weather.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It didn't start getting hot in your house when you got a new PowerMac, did it Gary? :eek: ;)

But it's an air conditioning unit...it used to work well, right? So it should be fixable.... :(
  8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    The thermostat is set to 71ºF, but the upstairs is about 10º hotter than that, at least. Our A/C has broken twice this summer, and both times it was miserable. Oh, and the power was out for a good 4 days, and that was miserable, too. :)

I wouldn't think you are out of line for calling and telling them to fix it. Even though it's upwards of 100ºF during the days here, the main floor of our townhome says very cool and comfortable. You should expect nothing less.
  9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Are you nekkid™?

It's a very comfortable 71 in my bedroom at the moment. My G5 is running at a cool 112º.
  10. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2006
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    all i know is that in california with this heat wave, our AC is on A LOT, and because of the usage penalty, my family's electric bill was over $800 this month.

...at least the house was cold..:(
  11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  12. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    A comfortable 74 degrees. Still wish I had AC though.
  13. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    i have mine set to ~71 degrees F

its nice and c:cool::cool:l
  14. CompUser Guest

The temp in my house right now is 73 on the second floor and it is almost 11:00pm. My pool today was 84. Tomorrow its supposed to be over 100 and humid, wednesday over 105 and humid. CL&P isn't going to be able to handle it.

$200 electric bill- last months electric bill here was $476. My dad was a little P/Oed.
  15. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    it also comes down to how good your unit is. It may not be able to push the temp past 20 degrees the out side tempture. You would have to look at your effecnity. It could be the unit it self just can not push the temputre down that far.

I know there are units out there that can. The ones at my parents place can keep the house at 73 degrees with the out side temp being 100 with out running all the time but they are high effecinty units like most in houston because they do have to work pretty hard all year round.
  16. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    It was and is a cool 70-75 degrees today indoors w/o any fans running :)

Love Puget Sound weather. It's even cool during the summer at times and hot at others. Heck, I wore a coat today even.
  17. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    It's a comfy 82 degrees in here now. :rolleyes: The fans on my mini are roaring and I'm not even using it. :p
  18. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2006
    East of the Mississippi
    My ac has been running non stop since last Sunday and the inside temp is 79. It feels pretty comfy though as it sucks up all the moisture. I did just watch King Kong and nearly 3 hours of the 27" was starting to warm it up a bit.

Oh yeah, a small will do wonders in an enviorment such as this.
  19. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Is your condo surrounded by other tenants? I wonder if what they're running has an effect on your situation?
  20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    no A/C at work, in the warehouse or the van. :(
    Central Air at home, but doesn't do much since the house is being partly remodeled.
    so i don't know exact temps. but HOT.
  21. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My office is truly the arctic tundra. I feel silly bringing in a sweatshirt in the dead of summer so I haven't yet though by middle afternoon each day I can barely feel my hands. Believe me the guys that are incharge of ergonomics will definitely be getting a call as soon as I can warm up my fingers enough to dial.

At home my house is an oven built in the '60s before central air. With a few more trips to home depot I should have enough fans for my house to be considered a wind tunnel.

With that said, thank god the heat wave broke!
  22. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Our air conditioner is set on 72 but it's always about 75. :)
  23. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    The thermostat say 81. But, the home office is probably about 5-7 degrees warmer since during the day Lori has her work PC and UNIX machine running. It's a good thing she can <do whatever it is called> and do her work through her laptop. Otherwise we'd have to have the a/c at full blast

I should mention that the house isn't so bad since we have a couple of fans running...
  24. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    The San Francisco Bay is right across the street from me and I just had to close my window because it was getting too cold in here. Natural air conditioning all year-round. I think it got up to 70 today.
  25. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2005
    ^^ Nice, I had to close my window the past couple of nights too, mid fifties is a bit brisk for late july/early august.

It topped out around 73 here but the unairconditioned house has stays cooler than that all day. Nice to be able to actually go out in the summer.. :p