Temp readings high?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, Mar 1, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Here are some of my readings from the temperature widget on apple's site.. are these normal for my 12" ibook g4?

processor bottomside = 46 c
    power supply/memory bottomside = 46.x c
    graphics processor bottomside = 49.x c
    battery = 32 c

my computer just feels a little warmer than usual, so i just want to check

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That sounds about normal. Just make sure you've got plenty of room around the iBook for air to flow underneath it and especially behind it.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My iBook G4@800 usually runs a bit hotter than that (±58°C)... but that's with iTunes/AirTunes running, without that it usually stays in the high 40s. The fan doesn't kick in before the temperature approaches 66-67°C...

4. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

alright, good to know. it just feels a bit warm but the temperature readings are normal i suppose. thanks guys

5. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I turned the computer from automatic to reduced and it's still quite warm to the touch on the left palm rest - it's almost to the point where it's hot. If I have my hand on it for a few minutes and take it off, I can feel the heat on my hand very easily. I don't remember it being this hot.. very strange. The weather has been warmer these past two days though, that might be it.

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I've always been able to feel the heat for any iBook I've used. I let mine get to 65c before I change the processor to reduced. By default, the iBook's fans turn on at 70c. I wouldn't worry.

7. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Under the left palm rest is where the Hard Drive sits. So if you are doing anything where your accessing the HD a lot it will warm up.