Temperamental iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wrldwzrd89, Jan 8, 2007.

1. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I am having problems with my iMac G5 (which I have named Karen). It has suffered irrepairable file system damage to the internal hard drive twice in the last 5 days. Restoring from a recent backup made it run for a while. It is running the second restore as I type this (or at least it should be). I've also experienced a kernel panic while trying to restore from backup. This rendered the internal HD unreadable, and required me to erase it again.

The first filesystem error was an invalid sibling link, and the second an invalid node structure. Both times, the underlying task reported failure on exit, according to Disk Utility. After the kernel panic, I got the flashing Mac folder icon with a question mark briefly before it found the backup drive and booted from it.

Also different from before is the fact that, when the Mac boots, the fans kick up to full speed for a while, then back to low. It takes longer than normal to boot, and sometimes refuses to boot altogether (just sits at the gray spinner screen). Anyone have any ideas as to what's up? I am planning on taking it into my local Apple Retail Store to have it looked at if the cause isn't something I can fix.

2. macrumors 6502

Could it be as simple as a bad HDD?

3. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I'm guessing that a bad HDD is at least part of the problem... sounds like I should take it in and get it looked at. Thanks.

4. macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Can you boot from the backup drive without the primary HDD attached to see whether you have the same problems?

5. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I would try this, except for the fact that I can't figure out how to open the thing and detach the internal HDD...

6. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Rev. C - the last one before the Intel iMacs were introduced.

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're not going to be able to out that thing up yourself.

9. macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

I have a PDF which will show u how to do that. Woul you like me to email it to you? If so Drop me a pm with your email.

10. macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

11. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I took it into my local Apple Retail Store yesterday and made an appointment at the Genius Bar for today @ 2:00 PM (alas, this means I will completely miss the live coverage of the keynote, as it starts at 12:00 PM my time today).

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Uh...I hope your Apple Store has has Macs on display. I mean there's no reason you can't use one while waiting.

13. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehe, as long as they haven't content blocked MR yet! :D

Wizard, I'm just wondering... it isn't possible that you're re-creating the situation that leads to the drive logical fault every time you re-write the backup image to it, is it? :(

Well, anyway, I hope that it gets figured out quickly and you're back to Macking. :)

14. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

Regarding your question, I sure hope not... it seems to get worse each time, though. Now, it won't even recognize the internal HD as a bootable device. It runs perfectly from the backup drive, though, which baffles me.

15. thread starter macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

The iMac is in for repairs and should be ready today. Hopefully, it'll be working normally again once I restore from backup.