Tempermental Quicksilver

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by D0ct0rteeth, May 15, 2002.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Got a problem...

My quicksilver has been beeping.. i dont know how to describe it other than a fairly regular quick "tweet-tweet" every 60 seconds or so...

I restarted and it wouldn't boot up... I had a screen I never saw before.. it had a "animated gif type of flashing" old school mac finder icon and blue folder.. i zapped the pram and held down the option key when i restarted and after selecting the osx drive it worked... It was dog slow but it worked...

I reconfig'd some setings like my dock was whacked and some other minor stuff... but nothing serious...

anyway shes ok.. we are all happy again.. we had a nice heart to heart.. i gave her a box of chocolates.. we kissed and made up :)

All is forgiven :)

Anybody ever go threw this...??

wierd i tell ya.. wierd...

2. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

by the way..... the sound comes from the CPU... not the speakers...

This has happened more than once.. and I was just watching a dvd when this happened the latest time... nothing in particular causes this as far as i can tell...

wierd...

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm, i've had my share of problems with my dual 800, but nothing quite like that...

my hard drive however, gets volume structure errors every week or so... which seems to be a bit more than should happen. oh well though, i just run some utils and bam.

so is it still slow starting up? or have you not restarted it again...?

4. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

thanks... she runs fine now...

quick as a bunny...

just the third time this has happened in a month or so...

want to prevent it from happening again if possible...

hmmm..

C-

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

do you have apple care? if so, may as well check into it...

if not, could still check into it if it's under warranty... (which it must be still)... 3 times in a month sucks.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

cd drives also sometimes beep like that when they have hardware problems.

if you have a spare drive/partition (ipod?) i would suggest seeing if you will encounter the problem with a fresh install. but i have to say it sounds like a hardware problem. have you added anything new (im guesing you will say no but it should be asked). bad ram can often cause very odd problems much as you described.

(so im assuming you have checked the ram and have disconnected all externals and still found a problem.)

if i were you i would want to verify that the problem is not software before getting too serious. a clean install therefore will be necessary. if your computer is acting as weird as you describe then i would say that backing everything up wiping the drive (zero sum) and reinstalling would be a rather small measure to go through.

then if you still have problems i would check things in greater detail.

if you can not find an obvious problem, like ram or software then i would suggest taking it to apple (are you still under warranty or applecare?).

and DONT take it to any storefront place that claims to know computers, third party techs are morons no matter how much they seem to know. you will have to take your computer directly to apple after the tech fries your machine anyway so avoid the middle man and let the big boys handle things. computer techs are as crooked as mechanics. if you ever find one you can truly trust give her/him a hug and dont let go!

7. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

yep...

thats what i figured....

i have a "special edition beeping quicksilver"

its A FEATURE!!!!

:)

C-

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How many beeps would you get??? Would you get them at startup at all???

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

that kinda wierd....It it unusual or has it happened to everyone
    My imac has made a beep

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

as a start, run a few disk utilities and see if it hangs around...also, I found that my computer started up really slowly when I had network time on and that brickhouse firewall...But now, my computers as perfect as it can be..except for every now and then, i start up and the computer decides it cant find the users folder but a somple restart fixes that..I guess thats one of the drawbacks from having a seperate Users partition...

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hey D0ct0rteeth, have you tried booting into OS 9.x lately??? If not, then I suggest doing so and see if all the memory you have installed is addressed (use the About this Macintosh from the Apple). Also check the memory listing under the system profiler (you might have a bad chip).

Even good memory goes bad on occasion.