Temporarily disable pop-up blocking in Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by no0neelse, Jul 15, 2005.

1. no0neelse macrumors newbie

Is there a way to disable pop-up blocking in Camino temporarily. I knwo with other browsers, sometimes you can hold ctrl+click on a link and it will allow any pop-ups that link opens. Is there something similar to this in Camino, other than going to preferences and disabling pop-up blocking al together?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use Firefox instead. Then you can tell it to block pop-ups except from selected sites. ;)

I wish Safari had that option... :(

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Camino has the feature Mitthrawnuruodo alluded to as well.

Camino -> Preferences -> Web Features -> Edit Exceptions List... button underneath the block pop-ups option.

You can type in a list of websites on which you do not want pop-ups to be blocked.

As for Safari, I've actually found it to be very intelligent about when to block pop-ups and when not to. Perhaps more intelligent than any other browser I've used. But I'm pretty sure that if a link leads directly to a pop-up, then even if it is blocked, cmd-clicking it to put it in a background tab will still work.

And of course, Safari has the very nifty Apple-K to turn pop-up blocking completely off. I don't know of an equivalent in Camino.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Cool, I didn't know that. It wasn't there the last time I tested Camino (0.8, I think it was), which was one of the (many) reasons I rather chose Firefox as my secondary (and for a while primary) browser... :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eeep, I think I'm using a beta or nightly of the next version. It has one serious flaw as of the last build I tried -- text boxes became agonizingly slow at some forums, apparently if there are animated GIFs loaded. It's a known issue, though. If they could fix that, and add spell checking, Camino would rock. Of course, if they added OS X native spell checking in Deer Park, I'd probably say the same about that!

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Even IE 6 for Windows has that option...<sigh>

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Speaking of which, I wonder, how does Safari decide when not to block a popup? Is there some algorithm, or is there a hidden list file somewhere? Also, I wonder if putting a domain wildcard in the userContent.css file with the override instruction will override the pop-up blocker, or if the pop-up blocker takes precedence?