Tempreture Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrisleeroth, Jul 13, 2005.

1. chrisleeroth macrumors member

Are there any programs that will tell me what my computers temp is running in real time? I have a 17 inch powerbook and so far every single program I have downloaded just tells the temp and does not move after the initial reading. If there are any out there please help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Kushiro macrumors member

I have the same problem with my 17"--every program I've tried tells me the initial temperature and that's about it. I've tried forcing them to take new measurements, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

I'm not bothered really, as my PB tends to run pretty cool, but I do wonder if my fans would turn on if it got too hot (if the sensors don't update, then how can my computer know when it needs to cool itself down?).

Thoughts/ideas?

Kush

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well the program I mentioned says it added support for 17 inch PowerBooks in it's latest update so maybe that'll work. From memory, the temperatures don't generally change all that rapidly anyway so are you two sure it's not just a case of your PowerBooks being uber-efficient in maintaining a set temperature?

5. woodsey macrumors regular

I think you guys will find that the reason your temperature reading is not changing is because on certain macs (like my 15" PB 1.67) the temperature of the CPU is only meassured at startup. This is the reading which is displayed constantly. The only 'live' reading on my mac is the SMART hard drive reading which displays the temperature of my HD.

6. Kushiro macrumors member

Yeah, everything I've looked into seems to point to this. But, I'm still curious how the PB manages to know when to turn on its fans if it doesn't take 'live' measurements.

I'll try temperature monitor again, but it hasn't worked the last two or three times I've tried it, so I'm not going to hold my breath!

Thanks,

Kush

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The old G3 iBooks didn't report temperatures, but just "too hot" and "cool enough", which were used to turn the fan off and on. Maybe the PowerBooks work the same way.

8. Kushiro macrumors member