Tempted by the 12-inch iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wordmunger, Apr 22, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I'm starting to get seriously tempted by the 12-inch iBook. I currently have a Ti400, and actually, it works great for what I do (writing, blogging, surfing, a little iPhoto). In fact, it works great for what the *rest* of my family does, too--Warcraft, surfing, even Garageband.

That's the problem.

When my kids are finished with their homework, they want to use *my* computer, even though we have a functional (if slow) Rev A iBook. Even the wife will default to my computer, just to check her email.

I had been steadfastly waiting for the PBG5, but now I'm starting to think of a new approach: get a 12-inch iBook NOW (for the time being, this will be my computer), then upgrade to a fully loaded PBG5 when they are announced, letting the family inherit my iBook. Since the iBook will be less than a year old, they shouldn't be tempted to use my PBG5, right?

Here's what I'm thinking of getting (EDU prices):

12-inch iBook
    Combo drive
    60 GB HD
    Airport Extreme
    256 MB RAM built in
    Price: $1155

512 MB from crucial for $122.99

Total price: $1277.99

This would be a HOT machine, 2.5 times faster than my current computer, which will serve me well for as long as it takes for the PBG5 to come out. In addition, we could use the old iBook as an MP3 server, eliminating the need to buy an iPod, thus the real price of this computer would be closer to $800.

Should I buy this machine now, or should I hold out for the PBG5?
  2. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    yeah, right. even you don't believe that. here's what i suggest:

since your family already has ibook and powerbook, and both are going to be updated within a year-or-so, and you are currently fine with your powerbook, why not making a deal with your family that you update THEIR old ibook to current model now and then update YOUR powerbook to G5 model when it's released. when you make such a clear point in which computer belongs to whom, then they might understand that ibooks are in their use and powerbooks belong to you. surely you can use the less powerful powerbook for almost a year? :)
  3. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    You know, that's actually not a bad idea. My one hesitation in buying an iBook for myself has been the screen resolution. This way, I'd get to keep my PB (with an extra 128 pixels of screen width), and the family would have no reason to want to use my computer--they'd want the fast one.

And, of course, if I ever really *needed* the speed, I could always log on to the iBook ;)

The biggest problem would be telling my son why he can't subscribe to World of Warcraft (since we'd finally have a computer that could support it).