Tempted to Commit Thievery?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Aug 23, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

If you knew ahead of time that the Apple store was not going to have their alarm set that night and the risk of stealing a MacBook was absolutely minimal, would you do it? Could you live with yourself afterwards, or would you be overwhelmed with guilt?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The third stage of moral development involves avoiding the wrong because it is wrong, not because there is a chance of being caught. No, I wouldn't steal the laptops but I'd probably sneak in and repair their permissions. :eek:

3. Queso macrumors G4

Not from the Apple Store. Maybe from PC World though :D

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I love messing with the network settings and exploring other people's public folders. Wouldn't steal one though; I spend all night trying to prevent people from stealing things ;)

5. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Would I steal from an Apple Store? Probably not. So far all my experiences with Apple have been positive. I don't feel I'm paying for a product or service that isn't worth the amount they charge. Then again, if I was one of those 10 year olds in China who make their iPods for a pittance a day, then I'd have no moral qualm whatsoever.

On the other hand, I'd have no problem stealing from Sony. They took over a £1000 from me for a very crappy laptop that only just outlasted its warranty.

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

And it's a shame that many people get stuck on that second stage of moral development.

7. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

everything down to the plugs...morals schmorals.

8. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

I saw someone once nick a TV from Dixons. Was on display in the front of the shop and a bloke looking at it a few feet from me and my girl just grabs it and legs it, big 23" CRT as well.

The big fat butterball security guard at the door ran after him but was out of puff by the time he had turned round and the guy got away accross the carpark and into a waiting car. Was pretty funny actually hearing the SG panting into his radio after only running for a few feet :)

But, on the flip side, after having someone try to break into my house last year while I was asleep upstairs, it isn't a funny mater. Shuck me up for weeks that did!

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Depends on a million things, like how desperate I am, why I'm desparate, how spiteful I'm feeling, whether I could displace blame onto someone who started a thread about stealing Macbooks on a Googleable forum, etc.

10. iHotu macrumors regular

If I was ever to commit a crime, it would not be for a few thousand dollars worth of computer gear.

Plus I would just have to keep repeating the act after every keynote.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why set your sights on one?

If you're going to do the deed, you need to do it right. But I wouldn't take anything from the Apple Store.

I'd feel less guilty about something like this, though....

D :D

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

do you think those employees kept their job? :)

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You know i always think about that when i get incorrect change at a fast food place or retail outlet. I once had a Taco Hell cashier give me change for a 20 when i only gave her a 10, i actually parked, went in the store, and gave her back the overage amount. I couldnt keep it as i am sure they count the money in the register and i felt bad for the cashier.

Ed

14. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Read that entirely wrongly at first!

But no, I wouldn't. Everytime I looked at it/used it thereafter, I'd feel guilty. :(

Not to mention that I'm sure it would be tagged as stolen so if it ever broke, you'd be nabbed when you took it in for repair...

16. Queso macrumors G4

Excellent point. We are talking MacBooks after all :D

Is there an option to flood PC World or perhaps even burn it down whilst making your getaway?

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nah, couldn't steal their computers or monitors.

The most I'd do is walk in with my portable harddisk and "pirate" the music and some software from the demo computers. Out of habit, I'd probably end up taking Windows XP and a version of Office. ;)

18. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Depending on how one defines "stealing," the interpretations and moral views on it will vary greatly.

Since I would define stealing as "Unfairly taking a thing, or additional amounts of things, unecessiarly for your own gain while desregarding the affect it has on who you're taking it from," then I would think of the prices for Apple monitors and say Apple is stealing from us.

With that in mind, I'd say walking out with something is fair game.

(Not saying I steal from any store or encourage it, but since the question is hypothetical, the answer must be as well)

19. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Na i wont steal, if i cant afforde it i dont want it.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's the worst example of reasoning ever. In human history.

21. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i already have everything i need/want. why bother risking it. also, you said there was minimal risk, not a nonexistant risk, so there is a chance i could get caught and i don't like that. even so, since i'm content with my current machines, i'd pass.

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't know how to steal and If I did that voice in my head wouldn't leave me alone....rat bastard.

Bless

23. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Agreed. Apple charging a lot for their products can't be called stealing because we voluntarily give them the requested amount of money in exchange for their products. Now, if Apple came into your house in the middle of the night, stole $1999.00 from you and left a $30 in. display in it's place then maybe you could justify it. But even then... you'd have a 30 in. display...
    P.S. No, I wouldn't steal from the Apple Store.

24. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Nah, not really.

It's just an Apple fan board, and the reality distortion effect negates the factual evidence of far superior displays offered elsewhere for better prices.

25. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Nah, just the worst example of some quite sound reasoning.

A better example would be an unskilled and uneducated destitute worker in the third world or developing world. If all that person can accept is a job working in a sweatshop earning a wage which is barely enough to feed yourself and which does not nearly represent the true value of their labour because all the contractors and sub-contractors have acted to keep wage prices as low as possible, then in that situation I'd accuse the employer of theft of the value of that workers labour.

I guess the moral is that just because on the face of it someone enjoys the liberty to make a free choice, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be exploited "because if you don't like it you can go elsewhere". The market is cleverer than that. However, I wouldn't really cite Apple charging a few quid more for a display as a sound example of the difference between the substance and form of market relationships :rolleyes:

Sorry to get all Marxist on everyone :eek: :p