Tempted to wait again

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Aug 16, 2006.

  1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #1
    After hearing all this talk of merom and how good it will be blah blah blah I'm tempted to cancel my MBP order (If I can it hasnt shipped yet) and wait but I dont know if I really need merom. I've been told I dont if all I do is surf the net/mp3s/chat/flash games the occasional photoshop and MS office! I dont know what to do :(
     
  2. Danksi macrumors 68000

    Danksi

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2005
    Location:
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    #2
    If you can wait, it's always worth waiting for the next best thing.

    You may not think you need Merom now, but may in a year or so - or if you decide to sell your machine, it'll be worth that little bit extra to someone who does need the extra power.

    Of course if you can't wait, then the MBP sounds like it'll be plenty for your current needs.
     
  3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #3
    The thing is I can wait...I suppose I can always put my order on again if nothing much eventuates. Id like to have the laptop before I go back to university on the 11th
     
  4. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Location:
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    #4
    The 11th! You're five days late! :)

    Yeah, I'd wait a couple more weeks, but keep in mind that when the upgraded MBP is announced there's no guarantee that it will be shipping immediately.
     
  5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #5
    Its a hard choice but at least if I know whats coming out I can make up my mind then whether to buy it or not. I dont know when I ring up whether I should tell them I want to wait or make up some excuse that I changed my mind
     
  6. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Location:
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    #6
    You're doing the right thing, especially since you're spending the extra $$$ to go pro. One scenario that may happen is that they announce an update and you find out you can buy the old model (which is what you have on order now) for AU$300 less then expected and still get it by the 11th.
     
  7. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #7
    Sometimes they give money off if you ring up to cancel the order, as a way to keep the order. You could get a current one cheaper (just to thow another variable into the pot)
     
  8. Danksi macrumors 68000

    Danksi

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2005
    Location:
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    #8
    This happened to me when I cancelled my original iMac G5 Rev.B order, when the iMac G5 iSight was announced... they offered CDN$300 discount... I took the iSight model instead.
     
  9. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #9
    Just rang up and cancelled my order didn't offer any discounts :( So guess I'm waiting again for merom! LOL
     
  10. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #10
    It was the right choice - if you're unsure about spending that much cash, it's better off to hold. Meroms will be out soon, so just think of all that fun coming soon.








    P.S. You might want to change your sig.
     
  11. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #11
    I'm just thinking ahead :D
     
  12. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #12
    I went to the department store today (Myers in Aus) to have a look at screens definitely going the glossy and asked the guy about merom. He said they wont be in Apples for another 12 months? :confused:
     
  13. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #13
    Argh- if all you are doing is basic web surfing, chat, dvd, etc. then there was really no reason to cancel the order. I decided not to wait about 5 minutes after the [pathetic] keynote ended and no merom MBP announced. I went to the apple store and bought the 15' glossy, and have no regrets. In the previously mentioned areas, I can't see any significant performance gain- unless the extra .2 seconds when loading a flash game really matters to you.
     
  14. quruli macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    #14
    Who exactly are you trying to convince?
     
  15. spicyapple macrumors 68000

    spicyapple

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #15
    The Buyer's Guide has the MBP listed out at 114 days. Apple updates their portable line twice a year so its already 4 months into the 6 month upgrade cycle. I would buy refurbished in the Apple Store or check on Craigslist for better deals and you don't have to pay taxes.

    You could buy MBP now and resell when you get the Meroms (no guarantee of that either) and absorb the tax/depreciation whatever. You'll be out more than just buying slightly used.
     
  16. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #16
    I did exactly the same thing when they were not announced
     
  17. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #17
    But the merom will make some difference..right? Going from 32 to 64 bit?
     
  18. amin macrumors 6502a

    amin

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #18
    On the rare cases when you challenge your computer, it will be faster with the new processor. 64-bit may help you in the future, how much no one can say. Waiting is tough, but I say wait. You will not regret waiting, but you may regret not waiting. No way Apple will wait until next year to use Merom. No way.
     
  19. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Location:
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    #19
    When you get your MBP with a Merom in three weeks, go back to the store and beat him with it.

    From what I've read, a Merom will be 20% faster and use less power. And yeah, 64-bit could be a big bonus, hard to say right now.
     
  20. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #20
    According to Macworld magazine they say end of August. Oh god please be right this waiting is killing me!
     
  21. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #21
    Ok ive changed my mind (AGAIN) and gone the MBP with matte screen. Will be here Monday not changing my mind and I'm happy with my decision
     
  22. nomad01 macrumors 68000

    nomad01

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2005
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #22
    It really doesn't matter. The MBP is a damn good machine as it is now. With merom in it, I have no doubt there will be performance gains. However, what happens when you buy a merom MBP and then Apple refreshes the range after a few months with faster processors? What if they release Merom MBPs in a month and then two months later release Merom MBPs with a sexy new design?

    You never know what's round the corner and progress never halts so you're never going to be able to stay ahead of the game for long.

    Should I buy a G4/G5 or wait for Intel was a whole different question. Should I buy Intel or wait for faster/better Intel is something you could be asking yourself every month from now until the end of time!
     
  23. bep207 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
  24. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #24
    Yep I could wait no longer and for what I use the computer for its more than enough and I dont envisage using it for more down the track (And I can always assess the situation down the track as well!)
     
  25. nomad01 macrumors 68000

    nomad01

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2005
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #25
    Glad to hear it. Whatever, machine you buy I'm sure you'll be overjoyed to own an Apple machine.

    The MB and MBP are very sexy machines.
     

Share This Page