Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
In common with many users of this forum I have the mental illness known as "Apple upgrade obsession". It's why Apple is a billion dollar company.

I've firmly convinced myself that buying a 13-inch touch bar MBP would be a mistake. It has -- at best -- mixed reviews. Battery life is a serious worry. As are screen issues. I don't care about ports. I'm intrigued about the touch bar itself, but would admit that to no-one. I like the look of the keyboard. And the dark grey.

There's no way I could justify buying one, when I have an early 2015 MBP.

But I saw one for the first time in real life last week and I kinda want one anyway.

Anyone else tempted? Do you think you'll crack? I'm trying so hard to wait for the next version of it.

Reactions: Bojan

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I became tempted after three minutes of playing with one. If I got one, I'd only really be losing the storage space of my mid-2012's 1TB hard drive. Everything else would be an upgrade. Too bad my 2012 still runs great.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Yes, tempted. I have friends who work for Intel and suppliers for my engineering company who tell me what's up from time to time. I want to upgrade some of my PC/Mac hardware to the new interface, in part due to subcontractors & clients that come in with hardware that has the newer USB-C interface - I have to react, in part, to the people that want and buy new toys and not look like I'm "stuck" in the past with old hardware. That, and a lot of my Macs are nearing the end of their 3-year-long warranty. Gah!

One of my suppliers keeps pushing the new stuff, as she wants new sales and I can't fault her for that. She shot me an email on Friday that included a link to DigiTimes and AI news portals, I'm sure with the intent of putting ideas of buying stuff in my head (she succeeded!).

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20161130PD203.html
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...o-debut-at-januarys-consumer-electronics-show

Those two links pretty much backed up what she related a few months ago, to wait for the new chips - despite having sales goals for this FY. I've got to give her props for taking the long road to make one of her clients a happy camper. Besides, I have bought a few PCs/iMacs/rMBPs that were "Rev 0" machines and was burned more times than not - I'll *NEVER* buy a first edition computer again.

TL;DR - yes, tempted, but waiting for Rev A....

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
In common with many users of this forum I have the mental illness known as "Apple upgrade obsession". It's why Apple is a billion dollar company.

I've firmly convinced myself that buying a 13-inch touch bar MBP would be a mistake. It has -- at best -- mixed reviews. Battery life is a serious worry. As are screen issues. I don't care about ports. I'm intrigued about the touch bar itself, but would admit that to no-one. I like the look of the keyboard. And the dark grey.

There's no way I could justify buying one, when I have an early 2015 MBP.

But I saw one for the first time in real life last week and I kinda want one anyway.

Anyone else tempted? Do you think you'll crack? I'm trying so hard to wait for the next version of it.

Really simple. If you want it and you can afford it - get it. You don't have to justify it.

As for the "Kaby Lake MBPs are just around the corner" thing - there will always be something better coming soon. Get what's available now if you need it or want it.

However, if you don't really want it, your 2015 MBP is still an amazing computer.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
No temptation here at all given all the issues propping up and the performance statistics overall. The touch bar is a total gimmick and I really do hope they offer a non touch bar 15 inch version in the next iteration.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No temptation here at all given all the issues propping up and the performance statistics overall. The touch bar is a total gimmick in my personal, subjective opinion and I really do hope they offer a non touch bar 15 inch version in the next iteration.

Fixed your post :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.