Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Created by Ten One Design, the Blockhead is a simple plug designed to rotate the orientation of the MacBook or iPad Power Adapter so it rests flush against a wall or power strip when it's plugged in.

There are, occasionally, some products that are so simple and intuitive that you look at them and wonder why they didn't already exist -- the Blockhead is one of those products. Made from blue plastic, the Blockhead replaces the snap-in plug portion of the official chargers for Apple's lineup of MacBooks and iPads.

blockheadincorner.jpg

There's not a lot to say about the design of the Blockhead. It's similar to the official AC wall adapter that can be snapped out of a MacBook or iPad Power Adapter, but its plugs are oriented in a different direction. Made of an attractive blue ABS plastic instead of white plastic, the Blockhead is otherwise functionally identical to Apple's own power adapter bits.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Ten One Design's Clever 'Blockhead' Allows MacBook and iPad Chargers to Fit Behind Furniture

Reactions: Foxglove9

Brooklynscholar

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Brooklyn New York

Created by Ten One Design, the Blockhead is a simple plug designed to rotate the orientation of the MacBook or iPad Power Adapter so it rests flush against a wall or power strip when it's plugged in.

There are, occasionally, some products that are so simple and intuitive that you look at them and wonder why they didn't already exist -- the Blockhead is one of those products. Made from blue plastic, the Blockhead replaces the snap-in plug portion of the official chargers for Apple's lineup of MacBooks and iPads.

blockheadincorner.jpg

There's not a lot to say about the design of the Blockhead. It's similar to the official AC wall adapter that can be snapped out of a MacBook or iPad Power Adapter, but its plugs are oriented in a different direction. Made of an attractive blue ABS plastic instead of white plastic, the Blockhead is otherwise functionally identical to Apple's own power adapter bits.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Ten One Design's Clever 'Blockhead' Allows MacBook and iPad Chargers to Fit Behind Furniture
[doublepost=1466798393][/doublepost]Try puggining this nonsense into a power strip. As if Apple didn't think about the design of the power brick. It is good the way it is.

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
[doublepost=1466798393][/doublepost]Try puggining this nonsense into a power strip. As if Apple didn't think about the design of the power brick. It is good the way it is.

I guess it does no harm to have an option though? My issue with it is why on earth they thought "attractive blue ABS plastic" was the ideal material, over perhaps white plastic which matches the existing transformer. To me it looks horrible.

Brooklynscholar

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Brooklyn New York
I guess it does no harm to have an option though? My issue with it is why on earth they thought "attractive blue ABS plastic" was the ideal material, over perhaps white plastic which matches the existing transformer. To me it looks horrible.

This is the worst product I've seen on MacRumors. The current duck head connector is excellent.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
I'm happy just using a Hug a Plug, then again I move my adapter often so hiding it behind furniture is not a good use case for me.

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Looks nifty.

I personally just keep the cords when I return cable modems.. And those fit in just nicely. Give a little extension too!

SnarkyBear

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
I like it! I like the blue color, and I have use for this with my really old macbook.
At $20, it is too overpriced for my tastes. Make it half that price and I would buy it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Nothing like MR being late to the party. They've been available for over a month now. They are clever, but the biggest issue for me is traveling with them. At least Apple designed the original "duckhead" plug to fold the prongs away... no so with these "ingenious" plugs.

Pricey, yes. I like the concept, but IMO, it's a "swing and a miss".

Close, but no cigar.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I would say they want it to be recognisable. Higher chance someone spots your charger being flush with the wall when there is a blue thing on it right ;) It would help sales. Similar concept with why the PlugBug is red.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA

it's BEHIND furniture, calm down and stop viewing the world via periscope.

Reactions: Gasu E. and dmylrea

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008

Possibly they were unable to match the white color that Apple uses?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Nice alternative. Only issue I see is mounting this to a wall socket, the weight of the power block puts a twisting torque on the connector. Don't know how house connectors would fare with this over time.

Reactions: SeanMcg

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
It's the same reason some brands have their name all over. They are basically hoping your will advertise for them.

davester

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2001
Perth, Australia
A great idea, don't know why Apple didn't do this. One better would've been to have a swivel hinge on it, so you could have it swing to left, right or stay centred, so it didn't obscure the power point next to it

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
A great idea, don't know why Apple didn't do this. One better would've been to have a swivel hinge on it, so you could have it swing to left, right or stay centred, so it didn't obscure the power point next to it

Again, Apple would need a completely different design to allow for both the 'side mount' and the fold-away plug on the NA duckhead adapter.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Again, Apple would need a completely different design to allow for both the 'side mount' and the fold-away plug on the NA duckhead adapter.
I agree that you couldn't get the side mount and foldaway plug in the same design. However, a swivel design without the foldaway would work, mechanically at least. The main thing that bothers me about this is the torque issue, mentioned above. It wouldn't be a problem for the iPad charger, but the larger power supplies could damage an outlet over time. So while the review concentrated on extended use, I see this as a special case use item.

Speaking of the power supply, this design has been around at least since the PowerBook G4, I think. Apple did design the provided plug with a power strip in mind, but it was purposely designed for adaptability. From international plugs to this, I really like how this design has lasted longer than anything it powers since it debuted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.