Ten people just got fired at Nintendo (new Wii info leaked on Nintendo.com)

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jul 18, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is an online launch title, Friend Codes are still used, it's still all free, and Wii Music is its own game, not just an E3 tech demo.

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=397

Page screenshots:
    http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/1769/1866922239430681166_rs.jpg
    http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/155/1452142591737196821_rs.jpg
    http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/2552/1126381391588555394_rs.jpg

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Nice to have confirmation of the freeiness (technical term) of the WiFi, but other than that there's nothing new there. Wii've known about the Classic controller, Wii Music (Nintendo Power confirmed its a drum + orchestra game) and SSBBs online already.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think the big one is Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam is online. See the featured article on NintendoPlayers now:
    http://www.nintendoplayers.com/feature.php?featureID=18

Before today there was not ONE online launch title. THDJ being online means that there IS an online launch title, and we will be playing online from day one. This is rather important because I was really starting to wonder how serious Nintendo was being about online play.

I hadn't heard that Wii Music had been confirmed as anything more than an E3 orchestra/drum tech demo, though. Checking IGN and a few other sites, nobody have it listed as a title and everyone's preview articles specificly say its an E3 tech demo and not a purchaseable title.

We also did not know that the Wii uses friend codes (though there were rumors). Blah.

4. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Do you think that ethernet will be an option for internet connection on the wii GFLPraxis?

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Pretty sure Nintendo said there will be some kind of USB adapter for all your ethernet needs. Of course, it'll come at a cost, but less than most Wireless Routers anyway.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Knowing Nintendo it probably won't be mac friendly though.

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo said there will be a USB-to-ethernet adapter for the Wii.

Has nothing to do with Mac compatability- you plug it in to the Wii, not the Mac :) But I prefer WiFi.

8. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry I assumed Blizzard meant something like the DS's wi-fi dongle. My bad. :eek:

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Only if that wifi can use current security options. The DS can't use WPA, and I won't downgrade my wireless security to WEP. Its just too easy to break.

10. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I dont know about that 10 people got fired crap..

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I can kinda see the usefulness of friend codes, it makes it easier to find friends online without the potential for people to put up some crazy s*** as their user name. I think it fits in with the all ages mantra of this gen; I don't think grandpa/junior/mom would like to hop on to play THDJ and see C**kSuka69 wanting to race. I'm sure there will be a way of joining a random game (similar to how there is in MarioKart), but I think friend codes just kinda keep it clean.

Anyway, I just hope that the friend code and all online info is stored in a centralized location that is used and accessed by all games. That way, you only have to give out one friend code (plus other info for other games like AC).

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As i posted on Joystiq, there are benefits to friends codes and to universal codes. My preference would be harmoniously placed between the 2, or rather an updated universal code.

Why? I don't want the people I beat at Mario Kart and Metroid entering my Animal Crossing village and wrecking sweet vengeance. I'd like a chart with friends on the left and games on the top, and a tick or cross showing whether they can see you online.
    I'd be all for that. Though Friend Codes is exactly the same as that but without a chart, it's just getting hold of everyone's numbers!

And if the above diplomatic message was too nice for you; HAHA to all those who scoffed at Nintendo offering a free online service! Who said "they could never do it". smiles.

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Great, so with this code crap, its easy to say that Wii online will be pwned [:rolleyes:] by Xbox live...

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh Xbox Live isn't without it's foibles. How much does that horse armour cost on Oblivion? It's payments, payments everywhere. Microtransactions blah blah. I like Live, it's a great system. but equally Nintendo's vision of players waking up in the morning with a little light telling you it just downloaded an update for Twilight Princess that adds an extra challenge dungeon, or a new racer for Mario Kart... does sound very good. I'm currently having a hard time sleeping with my PowerBook on with the fan blasting away so a 360 left on overnight is out of the question.

I like what Microsoft are doing, I don't like the payments. I like the sound of what Nintendo is proposing. Friend codes or not, the email, IM, free content and other online functions just sound mouth watering. Not perfect. But there is no perfect online service yet.

15. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

individual codes you are assigned when you go online with a online-enabled DS game. You add you're friends codes to your system and vice versa, then you can play online against each other. It's a smart way, albeit longer than Xbox Live's, to play specific people in specific games.

Some newer games (Metroid Hunters) allow you to add Rival Codes too. These are people you haven't met in real life so you don't have their friend codes. ie, if you play against someone in Metroid Hunters then you can add them to your Rival list when the match is over. Alternatively you can enable Rival Radar which lets you close your DS up, walk around, and hopefully if someone else has the same mode on then you will get their Rival details and can play them online. Again, someone you don't necessarily know in real life.

17. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's called a joke.

18. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

The wi-fi dongle may not work on Mac, but at least Nintendo has the Airport Extreme and Express (which many Mac users, including myself, have) listed as "recommended" wireless routers for the DS.

19. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Meh, I'm still kind of disappointed that Nintendo decided to stick with the Friend Code system, which is a complete pain in the ass. As long as they follow through with this IM system on the Wii it will be made slightly more bearable as you will be able to contact and exchange friend codes with people directly on the console, I'll be happy.:p

Other than that, none of this news is very big to me... I won't be buying THDJ, so I'll still be out of an online game at launch, unless of course Nintendo intends to implement Excite Truck with online racing... or if some other online racers is announced.

20. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i don't like the friend code system. it sorta restricts...

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

^I agree.